Writing a Book:

Put a number in its title and make it shady.

I'm gonna name my book A Room Full of Uppercuts. Catchy enough?

Make a story board outlining some of the main events and characters in book. Obviously this is always in a revisable state.

I'm actually planning on publishing a handful of books. I recommend dong a decent amount of exploration on the topic to build a strong base of knowledge... Research self-publishing, and all of its basic tasks. You may or may not be able to have your manuscript accepted somewhere by a publisher but you're basically looking for someone to take your work and make most of the money (and that's if it strikes someone's fancy, but they aren't a respresentative of the general public, most likely). In some cases you may have to do the same amount of self-promotion as if you were published by one of the big time publishers.
Don't be afraid to edit an get rid of parts that don't work well. But try to keep old versions in case you realize you got rid of something good.
Have people you trust to give you feedback. Join a writing group (maybe at a library or something) or take a class; taking a class is helpful when possible because it gives you structure and easy access to feedback.

Good luck

I'm actually planning on publishing a handful of books. I recommend dong a decent amount of exploration on the topic to build a strong base of knowledge... Research self-publishing, and all of its basic tasks. You may or may not be able to have your manuscript accepted somewhere by a publisher but you're basically looking for someone to take your work and make most of the money (and that's if it strikes someone's fancy, but they aren't a respresentative of the general public, most likely). In some cases you may have to do the same amount of self-promotion as if you were published by one of the big time publishers.
Don't be afraid to edit an get rid of parts that don't work well. But try to keep old versions in case you realize you got rid of something good.
Have people you trust to give you feedback. Join a writing group (maybe at a library or something) or take a class; taking a class is helpful when possible because it gives you structure and easy access to feedback.

Good luck

Thank you

should i write the book in chapters or just write and then go back to separate the book?

You ever see Finding Forrester? First draft you write with your heart, 2nd draft with your head.

Don't write much, but be sure to include a shifty-eyed dog.

shifty-eyed-dog-o.gif

Less Hermione more Hermaphrodite amirite

I want to write a book too. Everyone seems to recommend On Writing by Stephen King but I haven't gotten round to it yet

+1 Great book. Especially like the editing process at the end with 1408.

I'm not trying to be rude, but if you honestly needed any of the help listed here you probably aren't ready to write anything worthwhile for others to read.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't, just expect to develop your thoughts to a higher level of articulation and problem solving before anything commercial can be made.

I am writing a book as well, which I have been working on for a few years.

I got a Chromebook specifically for it, to be like a type writer. I Have a number of googledocs open with different parts or themes of the book to write notes down. Then each night, before bed, I watch a movie and then expand on those ideas with free writing.

Then the following morning, I review and improve what I wrote.

It is a long process. Part of it, is that my book is actually 5 epic books, and it is a bit overwhelming. But I look at it as a hobby, and I am in no rush.

should i write the book in chapters or just write and then go back to separate the book?

This is what I am somewhat deciding now. I have my story outline now into 5, long novels. They are set up kind of like the GOT books, in that there are a number of story plot lines going on with many characters. But at that point, thinks can get boring if a certain story tangent doesn't develop quickly enough.

I am thinking of making just a bunch of short stories (like 40), somewhat like the Canterbury tales, where all the stories as related, but also could stand alone on their own.

Back