Writing a Book:

what is this shit? you go sit your ass down at a Starbucks when you are writing so people know you are fucking writing. i mean, this is why we write!

"Dont mind me, just writing my book."

"Oh excuse me miss. Can you hand me some napkins? I can't have stuff all over my hands while I write my book."

Conflict. Lots of conflict.

Man vs. himself
Man vs nature
Man vs. man

Figure out a good ending and work your way backwards to develop the story. Use an outline, Have a main plot and a sub plot that resolves. Go into a decent amount of descriptive detail, but still leave enough out so the reader can visualize their own detail, don't write your dialog explaining everything, let the reader figure it out. Also Since it's your first, have low expectations. More than likely it's going to blow. But like any art, practice makes perfect. If I was you I'd start out on a short story, something less than 40-50 pages.

Decide on what conflict or transformation your main character will undergo and fill in the blanks.

Read. Read a lot. Find a style you enjoy reading - if you're looking to write a bestseller read at least 10 bestsellers. Writing fiction is about flow. Get a good flow in your head and feel that sort of rhythm before you get really writing. If you have the idea you waant to execute on in your mind, then you just need that to flow in your head the way a bestseller flows.

Excellent advice here. Steal from enough sources and they will meld into your own style.

Try to avoid doing stuff that stops the flow (getting hung up on perfecting that one sentence, etc.). Writing every day and having a set routine also helps.

Less Hermione more Hermaphrodite amirite

I want to write a book too. Everyone seems to recommend On Writing by Stephen King but I haven't gotten round to it yet

So I skimmed through the book and it seems to be more of an autobiography. What points does he actually make about writing?

Some of the greatest writers have said that when they sit down to write, they have close to no idea where the story is going, what the end product will look like. The most important thing is just to write everyday, do what you can to build upon your work.

what is this shit? you go sit your ass down at a Starbucks when you are writing so people know you are fucking writing. i mean, this is why we write!

Lol! It's from a song.

Maybe you should, uh, you know, take a few writing classes.

"Dont mind me, just writing my book."

"Oh excuse me miss. Can you hand me some napkins? I can't have stuff all over my hands while I write my book."

I heard the writing at Starbucks thing explained, I think by a comedian, as less about being seen writing and more about the public space being the only thing stopping most writers from taking constant masturbation breaks.

I heard the writing at Starbucks thing explained, I think by a comedian, as less about being seen writing and more about the public space being the only thing stopping most writers from taking constant masturbation breaks.

Makes sense. What else are you going to do when you're stuck in front of a computer and aggravated with writer's block?

I know there are a few published authors on this forum. What other places do you guys lurk on the web for writing info?

This will be my first book. Honestly I dont think im that much of a writer but the people around me have convinced to put my ideas on paper.

What im looking for is some honest tips of things i should look out for or possibly do. personal experiences maybe.

any input would be great.

Thanks a head of time

I started writing a book once. I actually got 400 pages in and just stopped.

Anyway, one piece of advice I have for you is just keep going! Don't worry about making every page and chapter perfect. Worry about that later. Just get the content out there and revise it later. People get bogged down in the minutia and they never end up finishing as a result.

Write about a topic you are really passionate about, not just something you think you should write about. For example, I remember an anecdote about a politician or something that really wanted to write a book. Like 5 times he tried but could never finish writing a book about politics. He was at his editor asking for advice about how to finish a book. The editor noticed something in his pocket and said, "What is that?"

"Oh, it's a list of beers. I'm really into beer tasting. These are some I'm planning to take some notes on later."

The editor said, "There's your book." Within a month he finished a book on beer tasting.

I started writing a book once. I actually got 400 pages in and just stopped.

Anyway, one piece of advice I have for you is just keep going! Don't worry about making every page and chapter perfect. Worry about that later. Just get the content out there and revise it later. People get bogged down in the minutia and they never end up finishing as a result.

Write about a topic you are really passionate about, not just something you think you should write about. For example, I remember an anecdote about a politician or something that really wanted to write a book. Like 5 times he tried but could never finish writing a book about politics. He was at his editor asking for advice about how to finish a book. The editor noticed something in his pocket and said, "What is that?"

"Oh, it's a list of beers. I'm really into beer tasting. These are some I'm planning to take some notes on later."

The editor said, "There's your book." Within a month he finished a book on beer tasting.

oh and write every day.

but i would suggest writing a short story first, before a novel

I say just write and see where it takes you but you must complete a first draft. You must complete a first draft, i said it twice because its very important to do this... Structure, edit and revise another time and there will be lots of that... Once you have beginning, middle and end you can fill in the gaps later.

Think of a first draft like completing the border when starting a jigsaw puzzle. Once that is done you can work on a bit here and there until the puzzle is complete.

BTW: I've never completed a first draft of fiction but Ive tried... i wrote a nonfiction book, self published but thats it... fictional first draft was tough as fk for me and a good accomplishment if you do.

I heard it's not uncommon for people to take 4-5 drafts. And the best advice I've seen so far is to stop chasing perfection. Your first book is supposed to be a learning experience and not a masterpiece.

should i write the book in chapters or just write and then go back to separate the book?

I think about it sometimes, I just don't think I could put together an entire book.

With that said, as someone who does write on a regular basis-with every story, chapter, or book as a whole-know where you are going with it. You can always edit it down into chapters later. But you have to have an outline, or at least a plan so you know where your stops are along the way. Having those points of reference will help with your pacing and keep you focused on the story as a whole so you don't lose your way.
Good luck.

I think about it sometimes, I just don't think I could put together an entire book.

With that said, as someone who does write on a regular basis-with every story, chapter, or book as a whole-know where you are going with it. You can always edit it down into chapters later. But you have to have an outline, or at least a plan so you know where your stops are along the way. Having those points of reference will help with your pacing and keep you focused on the story as a whole so you don't lose your way.
Good luck.

Dude, you could absolutely put one together and for sure, it would be a best seller. If you ever do decide to write it, you gotta let me have the link so I can get the first copy... haha.

Dude, you could absolutely put one together and for sure, it would be a best seller. If you ever do decide to write it, you gotta let me have the link so I can get the first copy... haha.

I have my doubts. But if I do, I promise a signed copy for you.

Back