Writers Guild Names 101 Best-Written Shows Ever (June 2013)

Loiosh

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Writers Guild Names 101 Best-Written Shows Ever

June 3, 2013

1. The Sopranos

2. Seinfeld
3. The Twilight Zone
4. All in the Family
5. M*A*S*H
6. The Mary Tyler Moore Show
7. Mad Men
8. Cheers
9. The Wire
10. The West Wing

11. The Simpsons
12. I Love Lucy
13. Breaking Bad
14. The Dick Van Dyke Show
15. Hill Street Blues
16. Arrested Development
17. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
18. Six Feet Under
19. Taxi
20. The Larry Sanders Show

NOTE: THEY AREN'T SAYING BEST SHOW, THEY"RE SAYING BEST WRITTEN SHOW

Some interesting choices, and they seem to understand what "all time" means.

I suspect Breaking Bad will rise on their list next year, as it finished strong.

I can't argue with anything in the top five, and I'm extremely pleased to see The West Wing in the top ten.

How could you not say the best written show isn't the best show?
Outside of reality tv, what is the separation there?

Seeing The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Cheers ahead of the Wire makes this list ridiculous.

Clearly they are trolling.

Seeing The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Cheers ahead of the Wire makes this list ridiculous.

Clearly they are trolling.

Both of those show are very reputable, lasted longer than the wire, and did well enough to warrant several spinoffs.

The wire was good, but I think people give the drama genre too much credit. (especially the crime/mob sub-genre)
Just because something is darker, grittier and more "real" doesn't make it a better written show.

How could you not say the best written show isn't the best show?
Outside of reality tv, what is the separation there?

Well, there is acting/casting, filming, sound. Also, "writing" might possibly be taken to include long - term plotting, since that might be handle by the directors and producers.

Both of those show are very reputable, lasted longer than the wire, and did well enough to warrant several spinoffs.

The wire was good, but I think people give the drama genre too much credit. (especially the crime/mob sub-genre)
Just because something is darker, grittier and more "real" doesn't make it a better written show.

Well, I'm sold

Well, there is acting/casting, filming, sound. Also, "writing" might possibly be taken to include long - term plotting, since that might be handle by the directors and producers.

Good point, but if the acting was THAT bad, the show wouldn't have lasted long enough to get nominated.

The rest, well, maybe.

I knew Seinfeld was going to be in the top 3, it just HAD to be!

Edit: and should a show like The Daily Show be considered in this list? I mean, it feels like a skit show that just covers the news. Am I missing something?

No Chico and the Man? Fuck this list, lol.

Seinfield being in the top 100, and even more so as #2, makes this list hilarious.

Seinfield being in the top 100, and even more so as #2, makes this list hilarious.

If that show hadn't been in the top five I wouldn't have posted the list, because it would have been broken.

If that show hadn't been in the top five I wouldn't have posted the list, because it would have been broken.

[Yt]vDYck1aEkxI[/MEDIA]

Take out the laugh track of any sitcom and try laughing at the same parts that you used to find hilarious. I dare you.

as long as sopranos and wire are a head of breaking bead

i liked the show and all but yeah come on ....

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f48/writers-guild-americas-101-best-written-tv-shows-2478681/

tumblr_lwswnqoBBF1r2x6gco1_r2_250.gif

A list like this without Seinfeld in the #1 spot is like a best movie list without Citizen Kane in the #1 spot. I just can't take it seriously.

Take out the laugh track of any sitcom and try laughing at the same parts that you used to find hilarious. I dare you.

Nice try, but this isn't The Big Bang Theory we're talking about here. That trick doesn't work with the greatest show ever made.

iN1LQMHMePRGE.gif

Edit: and should a show like The Daily Show be considered in this list? I mean, it feels like a skit show that just covers the news. Am I missing something?

Another reason why this list is shit. Just another liberal publication jerking off another liberal publication.

Move on people, nothing to see here.

Nice try, but this isn't The Big Bang Theory we're talking about here. That trick doesn't work with the greatest show ever made.

Yes, it does. Pardon me if your dreams of your favorite show were just shattered, but saying that clip is funny is like saying Lil Wayne is a great guitar player.

My account being banned in 3.......

Seinfeld should be higher.

Yes, it does. Pardon me if your dreams of your favorite show were just shattered, but saying that clip is funny is like saying Lil Wayne is a great guitar player.

My account being banned in 3.......

You're delusional.
Seinfeld is one of, if not the, GOAT comedy show.
Go into a room of any kind of educated people who know their ass from their elbow and say that Seinfeld is not one of the comedy greats, and you'll be laughed out of that room. Say seinfeld doesn't deserve top honors to your friends tomorrow and watch them look at you like an alien with two heads and a vag where your scrotum sack would be.

Seinfeld's greatness is pretty much recognized across the board, and you have no case for it being otherwise.

It's an incredibly funny show that is incredibly funny because they have excellent writers. They aren't ad libbing and they're very funny on a (sorry about this) daily basis.

Back