Wrist Wraps and Belt

Scoops619

White Belt
Reaction score
so instead of studying for my biology final tomorrow i decided to make a christmas list. i've been debating getting a belt and wrist wraps, as recently I've had a little bit of trouble getting my lower back tight when squatting but I think that's mostly a form issue, so I don't know if a belt is necessary. as far as the wrist wraps go my left wrist, which I broke in like 6th grade, has always been a little messed up, and gave me some trouble earlier in the year. at the end of the summer any time I bent the wrist back (squatting, benching, pressing) there was a real burning sensation on the inside of the wrist near where the thumb is. that went away a little into the school year, but occasionally pops up again, and about a week and a half ago when I was pressing or benching I felt some sharp pains in the middle of my wrist on the back side of my hand. honestly they don't hurt now since I tried to be smart about it and train around it and not abuse it when it hurt, so I don't know how useful the wraps would be.

thoughts?

TL/DR- debating getting belt and wrist wraps because back occasionally aches (probable form issue) and because wrist has given me some problems this semester

Getting them is probably a good idea. But don't expect them to be a magical cure for your pain.

I have an Inzer 10mm lever and some EFS wraps and love them. They have helped with my pain issues.

Can't go wrong with an inzer lever belt, I have a 10mm as well.

And although I don't wrist wraps I'm considering getting some, as my R wrist is currently messed up from BJJ

I have the Elite FTS normal wrist wraps and the economy single prong belt. They definitely get the job done and they were not expensive. The belt was kind of a bitch to break in but it's good now.

A belt helps you keep your back tight because when you hold your breath and push your belly into your belt it increases the pressure inside your abdomen, which helps to brace your spinal column. But if you have poor squat form and/or a weak back, a belt won't fix that.

thanks for the responses. i don't expect them to magically fix anything, i mostly was interested in the belt because of what redaxe said. i think the mild back pains i've felt have been a product of me not getting and keeping my low/mid back tight enough, which it sounds like the belt would help with.

I have wrist problems too, and the only thing that really ever worked for me was working my grip strength. When I don't work my grip for a week or 2, the pain comes back. I always kinda figured that, in theory, if you strengthen the muscles and tendons surrounding the joint that bothers you, the joint itself becomes less of an issue because your body is better equipped to handle whatever pressure you might put on said joint.

As far as a belt goes, I only use a belt when I'm on my work load or maxing out and I only use it for squats. I NEVER use a belt when I'm warming up and I do as much raw work as possible. That works pretty well for me, but everybody is different. Back pain is a sign of a weak back and honestly the best thing to do is to work your back more(bent over rows and deadlifts are really all you need and stiff-legged deadlifts are a nice touch as well). Core strength also helps(an ab wheel comes to mind).

I figure a belt is really for keeping your form tight when fatigue starts to set in and you're having problems doing it yourself.

Hope that helps!

I had surgery on my left ulna (displaced fracture from a kick, plate and screws etc) and wrist wraps really helped while I was healing. I still use them for heavier sets now.

I have a cheapy 'everlast' belt and I actually really like it... walmart baby!

no clue whether or not they are good or bad for you one way or the other (maybe lose some grip strength?), but if they help you progress with your lifts i dont see how they could be bad.

no clue whether or not they are good or bad for you one way or the other (maybe lose some grip strength?), but if they help you progress with your lifts i dont see how they could be bad.

How would using wrist wraps negatively affect your grip strength?

How would using wrist wraps negatively affect your grip strength?

if they are being used for all sets i would assume taking the force off of your hands would cause grip strength to not progress with the rest of your lifts.

is this wrong?

it would appear that way.

i should brush up on reading comprehension.

thanks everyone, i'm thinking i'm going to go ahead and see about getting them. any recommendations as to what weights/percentages of my max they would be appropriate for?

Keo and myself both belt up right away, basically.

thanks everyone, i'm thinking i'm going to go ahead and see about getting them. any recommendations as to what weights/percentages of my max they would be appropriate for?

Theres a section in the FAQ about this that might help out.

it would appear that way.

Wraps
Titanium%20Wrist%20Wraps%2012.jpg

Straps
images

"When you can differentiate the two, you can leave."
-Master Kan (somewhat of a modified quote :) )

Last edited:
I still have a shitty belt, but it still helps. I only belt up on the last working set usually and it gets the job done. Remember to use the valslava and really push those abs against it though, or else your not using your belt as efficiently as you could be.

Wraps I never really took to. Had a pair for benching but I then realized my grip on the bar was poor hence causing the initial wrist pain and so after I amended that I done away with them.

If you are a beginner-level lifter and have trouble with "getting your lower back tight" and/or have "mild back pains", you should look into improving your form, not buying a belt.

Back