Wrist pain from bench press

EddieH4444

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
*I know your not supposed to start threads about injuries but this is more of a nuissence than an injury.*
Whenever I bench press I start to feel pain on the inside of my left wrist (thumb side) and it's also become puffy and it pops when I roll it now. Has anyone experienced the same or something similar? If so can you tell me what helped?

edit: I know that strengthing my wrists is going to be the first answer and I'm doing that now.

Strengthening your wrists should be your first priority, but you already know that. THe only other thing I can think of is make sure your forearms and hands both line-up vertical. You don't want your hand to be positioned like the top of a reverse wrist-curl when doing the benchpress.

does the middle of the top-side of your wrist swell? i think i know what you're talking about

mine did for years, i got it from hyperextending all the time and it being in weird positions. if you keep the right form it should be okay

if it gets too inflamed take a week off and take some anti inflammatory before bed and see how it feels in the morning

You might be holding the bar with too much extension in your wrist. It's difficult to diagnose what you are doing incorrectly without a video.

Whatever you're doing, it sounds like you've developed some tendonitis. Icing the area after you lift and taking some NSAIDs (e.g. Ibuprofen) will help. You might also try using wrist wraps (go here). These will force you to use correct form when benching and will likely help prevent you from aggravating your wrist when you bench.

I think you guys are right, I have noticed that my wrists go back a little when I bench. And thanks for the link chaos, I think I might try some of those straps.

My first thought was that you're bendin' your wrists towards your head, and that

wrong-mike.jpg

It's easy enough to fix. Just pay attention to where your wrists are. I did that for awhile when I started into liftin'.

Get some wrist wraps (APT 36" convicts) and go see a doctor. I had a very similar problem to you, turned out I'd torn through my joint capsule and ended up needsing surgery.

wrist wraps for the win! especially when you go heavy. also make sure you take "hyaluronic acid", "glucosamine, msm and chondroitin". every day to replenish the tendons and joints. just like your muscles, you need to give the joints and tendons the ingredients to repair properly.

Back