Wrist locks in BJJ

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by mweaver123, Oct 24, 2010.

1. mweaver123

mweaver123 Yellow Belt

Why isn't there further emphasis on doing (even basic) wrist locks in BJJ?

2. DalaiLama23

DalaiLama23 Orange Belt

They are sneaky little bastards. Idk how to make a vid but Marcelo Garcia finished Pablo Popovich with one.

3. akharon

akharon Blue Belt

Well, further is relative. We use them to break grips, and you'll sometimes elicit the tap, but if you're talking about the TMA-style two guys standing, one sticks and arm out and gets wrist locked, that stuff just doesn't apply to real life as much. Also, many times the guy can power out of them, so it's not necessarily something that's easy for the little guy to do on the big guy.

4. mweaver123

mweaver123 Yellow Belt

No, I wasn't referring to the "here, grab my wrist...no, my other wrist...no, use your other hand" variety. :icon_chee

5. cooltoon999

cooltoon999 Orange Belt

Because they are gayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

And ineffective

6. Amiro

Amiro Orange Belt

its bluebelt and up so i dont do them

7. PerfectBalance

PerfectBalance Yellow Belt

I started using one of them after I saw Marcelo Garcia tap Pablo with one. I only use it when everything else I have tried fails. I usually set it up from inside someones guard. I wrap my arm around theirs and use my other hand to apply pressure. It's kind of hit or miss and very low percentage probably 10% effective, but you don't sacrifice position and it's something to go for to stay busy.

8. Vector_X

Vector_X Brown Belt

There is, we train them like crazy and to people that say they don't work you're just flat out wrong they really suck if the guy that's doing them know how to apply them. Problem is that some competition allow them while other don't so you just have to keep that in mind.

9. CrazyJHL

CrazyJHL Brown Belt

I believe that it is blue belt and up as well. Though I just got hit with one on wed...they couldn't get me to tap from the Kimura and hit me with it, I was surprised..

10. Vector_X

Vector_X Brown Belt

Yes they really are sneaky. We do them more as a way if a guy is really gripping like crazy or doing an S-grip to fight off a submission and the problem is they are extremely rough to defend against gripping up and defending the wrist lock. We do them as white belts though and I've seen many a tourney that allows them for all belts.

11. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Because they don't work unless you have isolated the elbow, and if you've also isolated the elbow you can usually do an armbar which is more effective. But wristlocks are used in BJJ. I got tapped by a wristlock in competition once. A guy tried to triangle me and I postured up but he had my arm trapped, so he wristlocked me. It hurt like shit and that wrist has never been quite as flexible since.

12. Kenny from MD

Kenny from MD Less angry than before.

Brazilians are crazy with this shit. At least once a day someone hurts their wrist from getting wristlocked too hard. My third day here someone sprained my wrist so bad I couldnt turn a door knob for a week

13. rowdstar

rowdstar Orange Belt

all depends on how long you train and where you train. there are about 4 that i like and will use.

normally in the school i will put it on just enough for them to know i have, they acknowledge it and then i let it go and move on to somethin different.

14. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Yeah we have a guest BB instructor who just came up to the US from Brasilia. This dude LOVES wristlocks and taps everyone with them.

15. MyBodyHurts

MyBodyHurts Blue Belt

Are wrist locks legal in most professional MMA bouts? Are they hard to pull off due to the gloves? I don't recall ever seeing someone even go for one.

16. Amiro

Amiro Orange Belt

yeh ive been in situations like that before. but i think of course the guy could have submitted with the kimura or whatever if he'd just wacked it on, but training isnt always about that

so he had my arm isolated, i was in last ditch emergency grab your belt defense lol and the guy eases a wrist lock. i gotta say thanks if that happens that the guy didnt just wack on a wrist lock because i think its a real fine line with them.

i think thats why its blue belt, because imagine how many broken wrists and shit thered be if everyone was going uncontrolled with them.

i was suprised the first time too because i thought oh im a white belt id be safe from them lol

17. newerest

newerest Purple Belt

the gloves and the fact that their wrists are incredibly wrapped up. i had my wrists wrapped one time after muay thai and went to my japennese jiujutsu class. usually they tossed me around with wrist locks, but with my wrists wrapped up they couldn't do shit

18. mrpopenfresh

mrpopenfresh Red Belt

They,re great for a little extra levergae or to keep that limb in place. Our instructor showed how to do it for the cobra choke.

19. ozyabbas

ozyabbas Purple Belt

I hate sneaky bloody wristlocks. Theres a black belt who always does it on me when I am defending another one of his submissions. If I ever get careless with a grip, he snaps it on. I haven't been able to do some exercises such as practising sprawls because of my wrist being damaged.

So yes, they do work.

20. Barry_Glazer

Barry_Glazer White Belt

Good points.

I find them most effective when you're in a position where the elbow/ arm is isolated, but the armbar isn't readily available; e.g. omoplata locked, but angle is improper for the finish; spiderguard sweep to bicep slicer where the shin isn't placed properly.