Wrist locks in BJJ rolling

Snolla

Brown Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
So I've been training for about 6-7 years on and off at my Gracie club and I received my blue belt a year or so ago. A couple other blue belts (newer than me but trained more consistently) and a purple belt have all in the last few weeks tried to hit wrist locks on me.

I didn't know that wrist locks were allowed in rolling or competition. Are they allowed in IBJJF rule sets or what? I don't know whats up because no one has ever tried to wrist lock me in all these years and in the last couple weeks three different people have attempted it.

Brown belts and black belts NEVER go for that kind of stuff on me and the majority of the purple belts and white belts don't either. Do these blue belts have a chip on their shoulder or something? I'm known at the club for having strong defense (not really bragging because I have a bad offensive game) and it's hard to tap me or get me in bad positions.

I think I need to mention to these people not to do that shit to me because I'm a full time guitar teacher and need my hands and wrists :(

EDIT: Lets make this about wrist lock technique now. I got my answer about the rules but we can talk about attacks and defense now :)

Last edited:
Wrist locks are perfectly legal at blue and up. They are far from uncommon.

If you're concerned about your wrists for professional reasons, you should tap quickly or politely ask your partners if they would not wrist lock you before you start to train. Bear in mind, you are asking them for a favor; they are not being jerks for doing wristlocks.

I'd also say this: anytime I've met a blue belt who bragged about having great defense, they were usually guys who just shelled up and did nothing. A complete waste of time to train with, frankly. This will frequently prompt people to really smear you in an attempt to get you to open up.

Sorry for the blunt reply.

They are far from uncommon.

I’d disagree with that, but I wish more people trained them regularly. I can count on one hand the number of guys I’ve met who had a decent to good wristlock game.

So I've been training for about 6-7 years on and off at my Gracie club and I received my blue belt a year or so ago. A couple other blue belts (newer than me but trained more consistently) and a purple belt have all in the last few weeks tried to hit wrist locks on me.

I didn't know that wrist locks were allowed in rolling or competition. Are they allowed in IBJJF rule sets or what? I don't know whats up because no one has ever tried to wrist lock me in all these years and in the last couple weeks three different people have attempted it.

Brown belts and black belts NEVER go for that kind of stuff on me and the majority of the purple belts and white belts don't either. Do these blue belts have a chip on their shoulder or something? I'm known at the club for having strong defense (not really bragging because I have a bad offensive game) and it's hard to tap me or get me in bad positions.

I think I need to mention to these people not to do that shit to me because I'm a full time guitar teacher and need my hands and wrists :(

Wrist local are legal in ibjjf as they are not considered small joint manipulation .

Small joint manipulation is bending fingers

Wrist locks are perfectly legal at blue and up. They are far from uncommon.

If you're concerned about your wrists for professional reasons, you should tap quickly or politely ask your partners if they would not wrist lock you before you start to train. Bear in mind, you are asking them for a favor; they are not being jerks for doing wristlocks.

I'd also say this: anytime I've met a blue belt who bragged about having great defense, they were usually guys who just shelled up and did nothing. A complete waste of time to train with, frankly. This will frequently prompt people to really smear you in an attempt to get you to open up.

Sorry for the blunt reply.

Thanks, I wasn't aware that wrist locks were allowed in class or in competition at all. I'll begin training them. Also, the reason I have good defense is because I'm smaller than the majority of the people who roll so I've had to develop a decent bottom game. I have good fundamental sweeps but you make it sound like shelling up is a bad thing or easy to do when someone much bigger/stronger/better than you is on top. A strong frame is a fundamental part of BJJ and grappling in general. If you can't break someones shell then you need to work on your attacks and top game.

A great instructor at the Brazil 021 school in Edmonton once showed me a back escape that involved squeezing the person's hand bones together. It fucking hurts and you react to it, which is when they make their escape.

They can’t tap you with wrist locks because you’re worried about your ability to play guitar? Come on. It that’s really the case, then they shouldn’t be allowed to any use armbars or shoulder locks either. Any of those could injure in a way that would affect your ability to play.

Honestly, it sounds like you’re the one with the chip on your shoulder because you’re “the guy who doesn’t get tapped” and you’re getting tapped. Instead of complaining, you need to become aware of when you’re vulnerable to wrist locks so you can be preemptively defensive.

I’d disagree with that, but I wish more people trained them regularly. I can count on one hand the number of guys I’ve met who had a decent to good wristlock game.
This is true. Good wrist lockers are hard to find but I'm sort of glad that they are.

Believe it or not I actually try kote gaeshi quite a bit from seated or butterfly guard to off balance people for sweeps, and sometimes it actually does get a sweep. I'm not very good at finishing the classic wrist lock submission though. Sometimes when I'm going for an armbar and I have the kimura grip, and don't feel like I can break the defensive grips, I will just pull straight in on their hand (their palm facing outwards) and bring it straight it for that Caio Terra/Rafa Mendes style wrist lock from spiderweb. That's the only wrist lock I ever finish.

Thanks, I wasn't aware that wrist locks were allowed in class or in competition at all. I'll begin training them. Also, the reason I have good defense is because I'm smaller than the majority of the people who roll so I've had to develop a decent bottom game. I have good fundamental sweeps but you make it sound like shelling up is a bad thing or easy to do when someone much bigger/stronger/better than you is on top. A strong frame is a fundamental part of BJJ and grappling in general. If you can't break someones shell then you need to work on your attacks and top game.
One thing for wrist lock defense that's helped me as weird as it sounds is to pretend my hand is a head, and my wrist is the spine, and I try to think about letting my hands have good posture. I tend to roll very relaxed and so good wrist lockers will punish me for relaxing my wrist posture. Think about keeping good "wrist posture" and you will be harder to wrist lock.

Also I advise verbally tapping on wrist locks. They come on really hard and fast. It's a hard sub to finish slowly because if you do them slowly without a kimura grip, the other person can generally get their wrist posture back quickly and defend.

So even if you think it sounds lame I normally advise just verbal tapping to wrist locks especially if you have a job that requires your wrists to not be injured.

Also, you should be aware that wristlocks aren’t considered small joint manipulation.

They can’t tap you with wrist locks because you’re worried about your ability to play guitar? Come on. It that’s really the case, then they shouldn’t be allowed to any use armbars or shoulder locks either. Any of those could injure in a way that would affect your ability to play.

Honestly, it sounds like you’re the one with the chip on your shoulder because you’re “the guy who doesn’t get tapped” and you’re getting tapped. Instead of complaining, you need to become aware of when you’re vulnerable to wrist locks so you can be preemptively defensive.

I work for a school and am a professional full time teacher so relax. That's all I meant. I didn't say I'm "the guy who doesn't get tapped" because of course I do just like everyone else. The fuck you even talking about? lol chill man. I didn't know they were legal so I'm on here asking about it

forget wrist locks, we should make this thread about what we are known at our clubs for, like Captain defense ;)

i am known at my club for having strong weed.

While I can get your point that it may just be sore grapes over getting tapped when he is "captain can't get tapped" - I disagree with your statement that he can't do arm or shoulder locks either.

Wrist locks, by nature, are much harder to control and apply in a smooth and controlled fashion. So if you are going to put on a wrist lock- they come on quick. Thus, they can also damage the small bones/ ligaments much quicker than the larger joints. If I have a north south kimura, I can give you all day to tap because you are not going anywhere. Same on a dead to rights arm bar.

If I'm catching a wrist lock though (for the most part, I know there are a few exceptions) I gotta slap that sucker on hard and fast to generate a tap. And with a wide range of wrist flexibility out there- what would be a safe amount of pressure for one person could hurt someone else for a month.

How insecure do you guys have to be to get so salty when someone mentions what they are good at? I never said I don't get tapped, I said my strength is defense and my weakness is top game and attacks.

I work for a school and am a professional full time teacher so relax. That's all I meant. I didn't say I'm "the guy who doesn't get tapped" because of course I do just like everyone else. The fuck you even talking about? lol chill man. I didn't know they were legal so I'm on here asking about it

The day i go online and start a thread bitching about my training partners tapping me (lol chips on their shoulders) is the day you can tell me to relax. lol

While I can get your point that it may just be sore grapes over getting tapped when he is "captain can't get tapped" - I disagree with your statement that he can't do arm or shoulder locks either.

Wrist locks, by nature, are much harder to control and apply in a smooth and controlled fashion. So if you are going to put on a wrist lock- they come on quick. Thus, they can also damage the small bones/ ligaments much quicker than the larger joints. If I have a north south kimura, I can give you all day to tap because you are not going anywhere. Same on a dead to rights arm bar.

If I'm catching a wrist lock though (for the most part, I know there are a few exceptions) I gotta slap that sucker on hard and fast to generate a tap. And with a wide range of wrist flexibility out there- what would be a safe amount of pressure for one person could hurt someone else for a month.

I agree that wrist locks have a more narrow margin for safety. But it’s little BSy to say you can’t get wrist locked because you’re a guitar instructor when you’re willfully exposing yourself to all of the other potential dangers to the hand and wrist. This sport fucks up more fingers than shop class. lol

Really the best strategy is to learn how not to get wrist locked (especially if it’s the only sub guys are hitting on you). Ask the guys how they did it so you can learn to avoid it.

EDIT: Lets make this about wrist lock technique now. I got my answer about the rules but we can talk about attacks and defense now :)

Once you been wristlocked you become mindful of not having your wrist exposed to being wristlocked again.

The day i go online and start a thread bitching about my training partners tapping me (lol chips on their shoulders) is the day you can tell me to relax. lol

Well they didn't actually tap me with the wrist locks because I'm Captain Never Tap remember? ;)

wristlocks.jpg

Back