Wrestling to Muay Thai Clinch Problems

eaglewrestler27

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey bros, my background is 5 years wrestling and one year muay thai. Now that I got a good understanding on the basics I am trying to find my niche, and I want it to be clinching. I am very good at muscling my opponent's head down, but my clinch is too similar to a wrestling one. My instructor wants me to stay on my toes with my head up not grinding into my opponents, and create distance for the knees with my elbows in my opponents shoulders.

However, after a few Muay Thai fights I plan to take up a little BJJ and compete in MMA. I am afraid I am going to lose my balance to much and be thrown with this style of clinching. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to form a good clinch I can knee, elbow and take people down with?

Also is there any benefit to my wrestling clinch background that I could implement in muay thai.

Thanks (this was also posted in the stand up forum for the strikers point of view)

Muay Thai clinch is different from wrestling clinch for a reason. If you feel like you're losing your balance then you are doing it wrong. Muay Thai guys don't like falling down either, so I don't think they're going to use an inferior clinch for no good reason. Listen to your coaches.

Back