Wrestling shoes - help or hindrance

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by snakeybizz, Jan 11, 2015.

1. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

quite a few people at my gym including me wear them in no gi class.

honestly I feel I get nothing but benefits from them, the most obvious con I would say is you are more susceptible to leg locks which I don't think is true ... I think you are more susceptible to be caught in a leg lock ATTEMPT...the Achilles of the shoes offers protection which can you buy you some extra time to start defending the attack..however the bulkiness of the shoe means its easy to wrap an arm around your ankle and ATTEMPT a leg lock

other then that I see mainly pros...extra grip, can really drive into your opponent...I've prevented tons of sweeps that I would not of done without shoes particularly in kesa gatame...as well as that I never get any foots injuries...people accidentally standing on toes etc

so what do you think...help or hindrance to submission grappling

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  2. Marbig

Marbig Brown Belt

I like wearing it for the reasons you've stated. However, I have noticed some of my school wearing their wrestling shoes while walking to their gym which I'm not ok with as it dirties the mats.

3. ArtemV

ArtemV Gold Belt

I like wrestling shoes, they are designed to support your ankles and insteps from bending over, I only wrestle with them though, not no-gi. They also help you not get mat burn.

4. DocSooner

DocSooner Orange Belt

Just this week I've worn shoes for the first time in over 12 years. I have a dislocated and fractured toe and couldn't manage to train at speed without banging or bending my toe, so I figured shoes would be better than taking a little time off. After only 2 training sessions, my verdict is that I hate them. No discernible advantage. I defend foot locks as I normally would, with good defense. I didn't realize how much I relied on the sensitivity and grasping ability of my feet, particularly playing guard. Any kind of spider or lasso guard is a huge pain in the ass. Feels like grappling with 16oz gloves. They also make slipping feet out of tight spaces more difficult in passing situations.

Like anything else, I'm sure it would get easier with time and experience but my strong preference would be to go without them.

For clarification, I've only trained in the gi. Haven't worn them in NoGi yet.

5. Mocrates

Mocrates Ik ben Groot.

I LOVE it when guys in BJJ put on the wrestling shoes. Straight ankle lock and toe hold city.

I disagree about them only helping attempts. I think they help the finish too. That extra friction really makes a difference IMO.

6. Mike Piekarski

Mike Piekarski Blue Belt Professional Fighter

If you become used to the shoes and rely on the extra grips they offer then they are a hindrance. I read an article where Mark Coleman talks wrestling some guys at Ohio state during his MMA career. He said the first time he didn't wear shoes and got smashed and from then on he'd never wrestle without shoes.

So for me personally I can't wear them in a fight so I don't want to train with them.

7. Dirty Holt

Dirty Holt Black Belt Professional Fighter

No way. Someone good at leg attacks is gonna take your shoes home with them, foot included.

8. Byrd

Byrd Blue Belt

Wresling shoes are for wrestling class. IMO, they should not be allowed in BJJ class. Open mat, wrestling, etc, no problem. BJJ no bueno. Some of the wrestling guys like to wear socks which I dont care either way, but I dont like getting my toes stepped on or someone forcing a hook with shoes on. It has never been a problem at our gym.

9. Edison Carasio

Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt Platinum Member

A lot of guys from my old club wear wrestling shoes 100% of the time (no-gi) and I did too. The mats we had always seemed to having me with burnt toes and a few near Jon Jones toe scenarios. However at our new club I rarely do unless I have some mat burn that needs to heal up.

Obviously when wearing the gi or visiting a gi school I leave them in the gym bag and they don't see the light of day.