Wrestling shoes at bjj comps/training

jrock89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone use wrestling shoes at competitions and/or training at their NOGI class? I see mainly the wrestler based oriented guys do, but no one else seemed to pick it up. I wore them once and I could defiantly feel a difference between the traction and the force I generated. No a huge difference, just a slight one, but a difference nonetheless.

My old gym used to make us were them, I hate the stupid things. I really don't feel like I have lost any of my game since I started training with out them. If anything maybe the ankle support is nice but, you can get that with simple ankle supports

They are not allowed at the tournaments my instructor runs.

It's more feet preservation. Wrestling mats are typically softer then BJJ grappling mats, and getting stubbed or screwed up toes becomes tiresome really quickly.

^^^Aaahhhh! I friggin hate working on soft wrestling mats just because of that. I have long toes and catch them regularly sweeping my foot forward for Judo throws. Same reason I despise the "puzzle piece" mats.

I still don't fully understand why some days my whole foot is bloodied up , with little spots where the skin is scraped/ burned off , and other days i'm fine.

It doesn't make any sense when i think about it , but it seems as if when im properly warmed up , i don't have these problems and when im still cold/ stiff i get these
"burns" .

I've rolled wearing socks in the past , was the only one, i never saw someone else doing this and if my training partners would be ok with it ( shoes scratching their faces scratching their legs etc) i guess it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to purchase a pair of wrestling shoes for training.

You know, I'd feel way safer with some kind of shoes, mostly for the ankle support. I'm using one of those little protectors lately, but I wish they were harder.

My BJJ instructor only lets us wear them if it's necessary to protect an injured toe. He'll ask you to stop wearing them once your toe heals up.

There's really only one guy I've seen wearing them in class and it's exactly for that reason.

Back