Wrestling Ride to Triangle Transition

xcydal

I am in here.
@red
Reaction score
I was looking through some of my old high school wrasslin' pics and noticed that a pin transition I used to use might be able to be a pretty slick triangle transition. Any thoughts or tips?

64522598201053545610603.jpg

Top left -> Bottom Right
1. Takedown setup - Unrelated.
2. Trap arm, half nelson with other arm.
3. Tilt, step over head.
4. Usually I just rode for a pin here, but I could probably trap the pother arm for a reverse triangle.

PS - I hate when people automatically go for hooks / rncs. There are so many interesting things you can do when you have someone's back, and hooks/rnc is the main thing people work on defending.

Last edited:
Definitely. Looks like it could be a nice transition into a N/S choke as well.

I was looking through some of my old high school wrasslin' pics and noticed that a pin transition I used to use might be able to be a pretty slick triangle transition. Any thoughts or tips?

64522598201053545610603.jpg

Top left -> Bottom Right
1. Takedown setup - Unrelated.
2. Trap arm, half nelson with other arm.
3. Tilt, step over head.
4. Usually I just rode for a pin here, but I could probably trap the pother arm for a reverse triangle.

PS - I hate when people automatically go for hooks / rncs. There are so many interesting things you can do when you have someone's back, and hooks/rnc is the main thing people work on defending.
You are correct, for the most part you can anticipate an attempt to regain guard once you have them turtled, if you do that all kinds of things open up, at the very least side control at most a sub already in place.

Go to 4:20 of this vid, my bro did a tourney and the guy went to turtle to avoid a guard pass, when he tried to go back to guard he was caught in a choke.

YouTube - Alex submission Grappling

So yes, I agree 100% there are many options and interesting techniques from there and alot of them can be applied from wrestling rides. I am looking forward to seeing more single leg ride submissions in the near future too.

Go to 4:20 of this vid, my bro did a tourney and the guy went to turtle to avoid a guard pass, when he tried to go back to guard he was caught in a choke.

YouTube - Alex submission Grappling

Nice, turtling pisses me off to no end. Whenever someone does this at practice, I ask myself, why? It has zero application for mma, and scores you no points, advances no position.

Nice, turtling pisses me off to no end. Whenever someone does this at practice, I ask myself, why? It has zero application for mma, and scores you no points, advances no position.

As a wrestler I am surprised you feel that way.

I do feel it has application in MMA and I have seen example of guys turtling and getting away with it, even against guys who are supposedly MUCH better than them at grappling.

3 examples off the top of my head include Hardy V GSP, Serra V Shonie during TUF and Lister v (??) Cant recall his name but he was Japanese and they fought in a UFC event that Lister won be decision.

Also I feel that if a guy has just one arm on me I can escape at will. So for example I feel if I can avoid thehooks coming in and they are on my back it would require BOTH arms for them to keep me down. If they let go to try to hit me, I can escape.

You dont feel the same way? From your wrestling experience have you found that people have been able to hold you down with just one arm if they were not leg riding?

I "feel" on my back that in a fight or MMA that a guy can tie you up one handed and hit you with the other one, perhaps a smother and strike approach or even a Lesanr V Mir type stockade and strike approach. I dont feel the same way in turtle, unless you get pinned to the fence like Mir did when he finally turtled against Lesnar.

Turtling is far from pointless, most of the time it is used to prevent a guard pass. If the guy is turtling up, you didn't really have the pass at all. You almost had the pass. I try to always use it to maneuver and recover guard, or bait him for an attack to try and get a reversal depending on the level of his BJJ.

Turtling is far from pointless, most of the time it is used to prevent a guard pass. If the guy is turtling up, you didn't really have the pass at all. You almost had the pass. I try to always use it to maneuver and recover guard, or bait him for an attack to try and get a reversal depending on the level of his BJJ.

For competition bjj, it can be useful. I prefer to be more proactive in my escapes/reversals, I guess. For mma, I don't feel it's effective. You turtle = you eat strikes until you open up. That's just me, though.

For competition bjj, it can be useful. I prefer to be more proactive in my escapes/reversals, I guess. For mma, I don't feel it's effective. You turtle = you eat strikes until you open up. That's just me, though.

I still dont understand that concept you speak of....it confuses me... :)

When I wrestle the man on top is doing everything he can to control me and flatten me out. I would be pretty ashamed if he could do it one handed. :(

Now if they get the both legs in, that is a different story, then it is a problem but the idea is to not let it get that far anyway..

TUF S4 E10 - Carter vs. Serra Video - TV MMA Video Details

20 minutes in is the fight..To be fair Carter takes some shots in turtle BUT from his back not only did he take strikes but he took elbows, forearms and was totally controlled (pinned) when he was there. From turtle he took some shots, most to the side of the face (as opposed to directly in the face) and he was up in around 10 seconds.

And that was mostly WITHOUT him trying to establish wrist control from the bottom.

Also Serra is an ADCC champ and runner up, BJJ championships placer UFC champ and to my knowlege Carter has no major grappling "championship" credentials that I know of.

He got away with turtling 4 different times and got back to his feet each time.

It's a fairly common technique from side control. As to whether you'll be able to work the half nelson for the turnover, I think that's less likely. In a turtle people will keep their arms in tight, and if they feel they are going over they'll just look for a half guard.

For the record turtling is fairly common in sport bjj. If someone is passing, a lot of people will go to turtle to avoid letting the opponent score points for the pass. From there you can look to re-guard or escape to the feet. It often gets you in trouble, but it can be an effective tactic both in sport grappling and MMA if used properly.

Also Serra is an ADCC champ and runner up, BJJ championships placer UFC champ and to my knowlege Carter has no major grappling "championship" credentials that I know of.

Not that it matters, but Serra isn't an ADCC champ.

I go to Turtle to set up the Peterson, its a nicce and you end up in side control.

My favorite move in high school wrestling was to figure four the head after I had the armbar(wrestling version not jiu jitsu) and spun around to north south.

I would suit that more to a darce choke or a N/S choke as someone said before me

My favorite move in high school wrestling was to figure four the head after I had the armbar(wrestling version not jiu jitsu) and spun around to north south.

Mine too! I liked to do it from a pump-handle grip on the opposite arm.

It was a bitch though, because if my foot slid past my knee they would call me on an illegal head scissors.

Back