Wrestling - Part Two by Billy Sandow & Ed "Strangler" Lewis

lklawson

White Belt
Reaction score
I am pleased to announce the republication of Wrestling, Part Two by Billy Sandow and Ed "Strangler" Lewis. This is Vol. 7 of an 8 volume set covering Physical Culture and Catch as Catch Can Wrestling.

As always, the PDF download is free:
Wrestling, Part two by Billy Sandow and Ed "Strangler" Lewis

Blurb:
An early superstar of Catch-as-Catch-Can wrestling, at the time called "Hooking," instructor and mentor to the equally famous Lou Thesz, and holding at least 8 "World Champion" titles, Ed "Strangler" Lewis laid out his system of wrestling and physical culture in 8 volumes.

Partnering with his long time manager Billy Sandow, "Strangler" poses for 61 instructional photos in this volume alone. Describing each technique with multiple sequence photos and exposition on each photo, Lewis shows many basic and advanced skills. Most interestingly, several of Lewis' "signature" techniques are showcased, including his "famous" get-behind.

Truly a unique and important piece of Catch-as-Catch-Can Wrestling history.

On a special note, I am actively looking for the rest of this set to republish. If you have the set, or at least Volumes 6 and 8 (the wrestling instruction) and would be interested in allowing me to republish using your originals, please contact me here or at my personal email: [email protected] Original prints only, please, not the Paladin reprint.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Well, that's cool. I recently read "the last wrestlers". In the book the author speaks of learning from some early cacc style documents, I wonder if these are them.

Well, that's cool. I recently read "the last wrestlers". In the book the author speaks of learning from some early cacc style documents, I wonder if these are them.
CaCC was popular in the early part of the 20th Century. The introduction of JiuJitus and Judo brought out a sense of nationalistic pride and the sport experienced a revival. This included many challenge matches between noted JJ practitioners (such as Tani & Uyenishi) and CaCC wrestlers.

There were a good number of CaCC manuals produced during this time. I have 6 other CaCC specific manuals on the "storefront" available for free download, 7 if you include Gallagher's, 8 if you include the CaCC chapter in "Dick's Art of Wrestling."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

This stuff is really great. Now I'm in the mood for a rare steak to eat, a warm ale to drink, and an icy cold river to swim in.

This stuff is really great. Now I'm in the mood for a rare steak to eat, a warm ale to drink, and an icy cold river to swim in.
Bear in mind that some period Physical Culture & boxing/wrestling trainers actually recommended weak tea most of the time and only once in a while a Stout or the like.

;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Back