Wrestling mat tape question

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by aashmore, Dec 20, 2016.

1. aashmore

aashmore Blue Belt

hey guys

Random question, I coach high school wrestling in Michigan and I recently received a shipment of mat tape that the school bought us.

It has a label on the tape that says something like "this product contains chemicals known by California to cause cancer and birth defects"

Anybody know what this is about? Should I be concerned? Or is it just a warning required by law? I can't imagine mat tape being some kind of crazy cancer causing problem

2. Was at Pride GP 2000

Was at Pride GP 2000 Brown Belt

It's not a problem it's just the way CA is. if you don't have a disclaimer someone will find a reason to sue you. same thing for a place of business. That is why it's so expensive to live in CA so many people sue for common sense stuff.

I wouldn't eat the tape on a regular basis but you are.fine

3. Dirty Holt

Dirty Holt Black Belt Professional Fighter

CA is way more bureaucratic than anywhere else. Those signs are posted up in our lunch room. The amount of money it took for that to go into effect made a lot of people a ton of money. You seriously cannot find a building here that doesnt have one.

4. jr jr

jr jr Purple Belt

I suspect it has to do with the adhesive. When I worked in the Sign Industry (the big store signs, Best Buy, Sears, FedEx, etc....) we had to use special adhesives in CA.

5. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

Fun story about mat tape. My high school coach used it to cover extension cords on his classroom floor. At the end of the year he pulled up the tape..and the tile up with it

6. TheMood

TheMood Green Belt