Wrestling, Judo, Sambo. In Florida, LA, Montreal, NY, Las Vegas?

Ahee. GX

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, this might sound like a really funny post but work has offered 2x 2 week trips to either NY, Las Vegas, South Florida (near Marcelo's gym), Montreal and LA. I wont have to work much, something like 3 hours a day, so the rest of the time I want to train a bit and obviously enjoy myself.

I know its asking for alot, but for all the guys in these areas, could you post some good places to train Judo, Sambo, Wrestling (Greco or freestyle). I want to have a few privates also. Gonna try and choose from wheres the best place to train.

In South florida I could train with Marcelo and in LA with Eddie Bravo and In las Vegas Ive heard Karo use to teach judo in Randy's place. Also Montreal, is that where GSP trains? Heard he trains with a good wrestling team?

So you guys could hook me up, I could make my mind up, cant find sambo hardly and want to see where everyone recommends.

Thanks guys

I also might look for some boxing places, but Ill post that in the stand-up forum and grappling is much more important for me.

i can pretty much only speak for los angeles.

for wrestling i would suggest checking out r1 gym in el segundo. wrestling classes are taught by rico chiapperlli (used to train trigg, vladdy, randy couture among others). you should also consider getting a usa wrestling membership and hook up with a local wrestling club. i know there is a real good one in long beach.

sambo: there really isn't too much sambo places in los angeles area. the closest thing to sambo you would be able to find is gokor's place in north hollywood. it's not really a sambo place nor a judo place, but just an all around grappling school that takes techniques from sambo, judo, cacc, and bjj. there are other places that claim to have sambo as part of the curriculum such as kenam judo in glendale and glendale fight club, but i have not really heard much from those schools. kenam seems more like a straight judo place though.

judo: currently i am training at sawtelle judo. it is the oldest judo club on the west coast. it is very traditional and has classes mwf nights from 7-9. the biggest judo school/club in the the los angeles area is probably tenri. they are definately worth checking out

Thanks man, thats a good start. R1 sounds great, wonder if it has a few classes in the day so I can train a few hours.

Again, thanks for your time. LA sounds like a must now :)
looking forward to hear about the other cities

Anywhere in NY really. Im not sure where I work yet, but because its early and only 3 hours, it leaves me time to get anywhere.

and what does Nic Gill teach? tried a search, couldnt find anything.

If in NY, if you want Sambo, got to nycombatsambo.com aka NY combat sambo. They even have a cage. Steve is very MMA orientated, but has also gi/kurtka classes.

If you want Judo, I currently train there, Oishi Judo. Oishiero is a former Greco-Roman AAU champion and Judoka champion-both from the 60's. Both locations in Manhathan. Theres a place in Brooklynn, far from the "city", called Brooklyn wrstling club. The guy is a former Soviet Greco-Roman competitor, former sambo competitor, and also Judoka. The place teaches various wrestlig styles, Judo, and Sambo.

Sweet, that sounds good too.
Thanks for the info
Always willing to hear more :p

Gonna bump this a few times guys. Just wanna know as much as I can

If in NY, if you want Sambo, got to nycombatsambo.com aka NY combat sambo. They even have a cage. Steve is very MMA orientated, but has also gi/kurtka classes.

If you want Judo, I currently train there, Oishi Judo. Oishiero is a former Greco-Roman AAU champion and Judoka champion-both from the 60's. Both locations in Manhathan. Theres a place in Brooklynn, far from the "city", called Brooklyn wrstling club. The guy is a former Soviet Greco-Roman competitor, former sambo competitor, and also Judoka. The place teaches various wrestlig styles, Judo, and Sambo.

do you the fees for those schools

In NYC you can check out Roninathletics for all around MMA. They are reasonably priced for the area.

I cant find it anymore, but I thought that BTT did it's submission wrestling with the Montreal Wrestling Club(which operates out of Concordia I think). Like I said, I'm having a tough time finding this information again for some reason.

Nic Gill trains the national team in MTL still I think.

You can find him at <A HREF="http://www.shidokanjc.ca/">Shidokan</A>.

The high performance team (i.e., you are on an Olympic or national Judo team of some sort) trains 5:30 - 7:30PM MWF and some other times as well. Recreational players (i.e., everyone else) trains 7:30-9:30PM MWF, 11:00AM-12:30PM TTh. Gill rarely hangs around for the recreational classes, but that's OK, since the quality of instruction is excellent anyway.

Thanks guys. So got some options in montreal also that sound good.
Anyone for info on Florida, Las Vegas?

Ill bump this a few times guys, just wanna get as much info as I can in the next week or so.

I wanted to go back to japan to train some judo. and as they won the asian games for wrestling I dont think it would be a bad place to train. Ill probably make a seperate thread later about wheres the best places to train judo, wrestling and sambo all over the world.

But Ill carry on with this first.

Bump for the saturday, sorry guys, just for this week ill b bumping

Back