Wrestling is the most important for MMA

6 of the current UFC champs are the best strikers in their division. Just saying...

the rules DO NOT favor wrestling, they just don't handicap wrestling like most fans seem to want. Big difference.

Well rules benefiting a style is all just speculation.

But scoring criteria is a known benefit to wrestlers. Dominate position for one is a part of scoring that needs to be looked at.

Guys have to be careful striking with wrestlers because they know the wrestler just has to take him down and hold him to win.

I don't want to be "that guy", but wrestlers tend to be dominant (or have an advantage) in the ufc due to rules (elbows) and the cage itself.

Boost up your self confidence you ARE "that guy" to be right ! MMA is a sport, a competition practiced around the globe, the UFC is a COMPANY with the purpose to make MONEY and that aims at monopolizing MMA. And yes the UFC does favor wrestling ! oh to any dummie who really assumes critizing the UFC equals being "anti-american"either needs a reality check.

In the wrestler friendly cage with the unbalanced Unified Rules nerfing the guard as an offensive position coupled with the "fighter on top = winning" mentality of judging, and the 'control' criteria where a single takedown+run the clock can 'steal' a round, yep it's a wrestlers paridise and certainly the most dominant style in these conditions.

As I said about 5 years ago, the writing is on the wall... If the rules aren't tweaked for balance, it will eventually be world class wrestler vs world class wrestler and the difference between fighters will be who can do the remaining aspects better than the other.

And this is coming from a guy who's trained wrestling for the past 8 years so I'm not anti-wrestling at all.

MMA rules and Judging Criteria are setup to treat all art forms equally. I get tired of hearing people say they favor wrestling. People want rules that put wrestlers at a dis-advantage and since they aren't getting it, they claim wrestlers have an advantage. That's BS.

Rubbish.

This isn't about making it fair to wrestlers, unfair to wrestlers, or looking at any particular style. Styles shoudn't come into play in terms of Judging Criteria. This is a FIGHT. If it comes to styles, how are the rules fair to Sumo Fighters? Should they get rewarded for pushing a fighter outside the central octagon line? Of course not, this is a FIGHT.

The rules shouldn't look and say, oh we need to be fair to BJJers, Wrestlers, Strikers, as MMA isn't BJJ, wrestling, boxing or kickboxing. Fights are fights. What we have is just a set of rules where fighters can compete. They have flaws, certain techniques are illegal, certain styles will always flourish or falter given the rules. It just happens that wrestling is MOST favoured given these current rules. Its obvious as dog's balls.

Again if the "rules and Judging Criteria are setup to treat all art forms equally" as you say, where are all the sumo guys or TKD guys? MMA should NOT be broken up into simply a techncial point scoring grappling/striking compeition, this always should be seen as a FIGHT. At least thats how I see it.

Rubbish.

This isn't about making it fair to wrestlers, unfair to wrestlers, or looking at any particular style. Styles shoudn't come into play in terms of Judging Criteria. This is a FIGHT. If it comes to styles, how are the rules fair to Sumo Fighters? Should they get rewarded for pushing a fighter outside the central octagon line? Of course not, this is a FIGHT.

The rules shouldn't look and say, oh we need to be fair to BJJers, Wrestlers, Strikers, as MMA isn't BJJ, wrestling, boxing or kickboxing. Fights are fights. What we have is just a set of rules where fighters can compete. They have flaws, certain techniques are illegal, certain styles will always flourish or falter given the rules. It just happens that wrestling is MOST favoured given these current rules. Its obvious as dog's balls.

Again if the "rules and Judging Criteria are setup to treat all art forms equally" as you say, where are all the sumo guys or TKD guys? MMA should NOT be broken up into simply a techncial point scoring grappling/striking compeition, this always should be seen as a FIGHT. At least thats how I see it.

I'm too tired to truly form an opinion on this right now, but that little gem was worth the read.

A more accurate description of the most important aspect of MMA would be ability to take down and defend against take downs. Wrestling is just the most popular style for this just like western boxing and muay thai are two of the more popular striking styles. I do definitely agree ability to determine whether the fight is on the feet or the ground is arguably the most important, and this is why you see wrestlers that are sometimes even one dimensional have success.

I don't think you know what wrestling is. Jon Jones is not the best wrestler at LHW, hendo and Evans are better wrestlers. Anderson silva doesn't really wrestle and is p4p best. Aldo is not the best wrestler either and I would say Cruz is not the best in the BW division either

There is no definitive best wrestler at LHW so don't bother arguing it or trying to rank them.

Jones, Evans, Henderson are all as close as can be.

I will say this though, people here never differentiate between MMA wrestling and WRESTLING.

In terms of pure wrestling Jones (based on credentials) is like, 5th or 6th in the division.

However, in terms of the MMA application of his wrestling and how he blends it with his game, he is undoubtedly the best.

So for the purpose of this thread, he is the best wrestler at LHW.

Rashad certainly couldn't take him down.

Cain-Got KO in the first round by a striker
Lesnar-Got KO/retired by a kickboxer
Anderson-Beat every wrestler he has fought.
GSP-Lost to a striker
Bendo-Lost to a kickboxer
Aldo-Nowhere close to being the best wrestler in that division, plus he destroyed a great wrestler

Pretty much dismantled your thread...you're welcome!

No... no you didn't.

This has been known since like UFC um...7? I dunno but a long fucken time. Right now is just a really good representation of it

Wrestling is definetly the most important martial arts form in MMA because it allows a fighter to fight at his own pace and control where the fight takes place. While it is the most important, one still has to remember that being well rounded is more important than any single martial arts form and with todays new breed of fighters like GSP, Rory Macdonald, and Jon Jones a fighter can no longer be only a wrestler or just a jiu jitsu fighter because he will have some of the holes in his game exploited by this new breed of fighter.

Who are you talking about? And if this "pointfighter" is outstriking their opponent they are obviously the better striker.

Oh a genius, Sonnen outstruck Silva, he's the better striker. There are pointfighters that have zero to none knockout power or the pure INSTINCT to go for a KO. if you like to score "punches" and half ass kicks as damage points go back to Karate

Ha TS is a BJJ fan but still admits wrestling is more important.Good TS,good.

Back