Wrestling is the most important for MMA

MMA rules and Judging Criteria are setup to treat all art forms equally. I get tired of hearing people say they favor wrestling. People want rules that put wrestlers at a dis-advantage and since they aren't getting it, they claim wrestlers have an advantage. That's BS.

News to me!

But, as long as we're at it. The UFC ruleset also favors wrestlers! It's almost ridiculous!

Here we go again.

Wrestling dominates threads are going to flood the forum.

America F*&K yeah!

Since when is Aldo a take down artist? Your examples are simplistic and stupid.

well, he did do next to nothing off his back in the 5th round against Hominick. he looked much more like a wrestler than a "world class bjj artist"....

beeing succesful in MMA wrestling does not mean they are the best wrestlers in the division. You would have to see how they go in an actual wrestling match not mma.
MMA wrestling is different. If they have bad striking wrestling for the most part will not be as affective. Its mma remember. So its a package of skills. Nothing is valued more than the other. With out one the other is useless.

Also the rules favor wrestling and this is a fact that is hard to deny.

Its very important but like any art can not be relied on 100%.

the strength and conditioning training for wrestling is what's best suited for mma. skill wise, i say bjj is MANDATORY to know if one's to compete in mma. i thought royce already proved this.

This happens tot he forum every-time a wrestler takes the belt.

Must say something about the kids on this forum that did wrestling in school.

Wrestling is more important for MMA than any other martial art.

HW champion- Cain, the best wrestler in the division.

LHW champion- Jon Jones, the best wrestler in the division.

MW champion- Anderson Silva, almost lost to a one-dimensional wrestler.

WW champion- GSP, the best wrestler in the division.

LW champion- Benson Henderson, the best wrestler in the division.

FW champion- Jose Aldo, the best wrestler in the division.

BW champion- Dominick Cruz, the best wrestler in the division.

FLY champion- Mighty Mouse, the best wrestler in the division.

Obviously other martial arts are important also, and being a well rounded fighter is important, but I see fighters win fights with wrestling alone, and I see wrestling being the most important martial art in the last title fights with Cain, GSP, and Benson winning primarily because of wrestling. The other thing is that the threat of a take-down vastly improves the standup of Cain, GSP, and Benson.

Pure Wrestling was exposed in the first UFC's.
Wrestling without Jiu-Jitsu added to it is going to make you look like an infant fighting an adult. Wrestling works in MMA because of the Jiu-Jitsu they use with it.

beeing succesful in MMA wrestling does not mean they are the best wrestlers in the division. You would have to see how they go in an actual wrestling match not mma.
MMA wrestling is different. If they have bad striking wrestling for the most part will not be as affective. Its mma remember. So its a package of skills. Nothing is valued more than the other. With out one the other is useless.

Also the rules favor wrestling and this is a fact that is hard to deny.

the rules DO NOT favor wrestling, they just don't handicap wrestling like most fans seem to want. Big difference.

It's also the most boring in MMA. Yushin Okami proves it in most of his fights.

What striker did GSP lose to genius? 2 losses...Hughes (wrestler) Serra (BJJ)....dont even argue that Serra is a striker....cause you will look even more inadequate than your original arrogant post...which had some validity till you went all cocky.....

But....Serra beat GSP with strikes....

I been saying this for many years. Anderson has only fought 1 real wrestler in his life (Sonnen) and he got abused and lost 2 rounds 10-8. Imagine if he fought a wrestler with power.

Wrestling is freedom. It allows you to fight the way you want to fight whether that includes wrestling or not.

Agreed. It's thanks to wrestling that guys like Hendricks are able to knock people out.

All the champs have wrestling + they are not just one dimensional. They excell in many different styles but if you have wrestling your chances are higher when combined with other skills.

I absolutely cant stand when ppl claim this crap. Its so false. I thought everyone learned that JJ is the best base for fighting back with the 1st UFC's. JJ is freakin designed for a real fight (top control, bottom control and finishes from both) while wrestling is not and is just top control with no finishes. The only point ppl have with wrestling is TD and TDD which isnt a base and more of something you ADD to your overall game. Only wrestlers and wrestling fans think this BS.

HW champion- Cain, - OK

LHW champion- Jon Jones, - He isnt your traditional wrestler. He's Greco which is clinch and when he's on the ground he uses JJ.

MW champion- Anderson Silva - He is Mauy Thai and JJ and has beaten every wrestler he has faced.

WW champion- GSP, - His base is striking and like Jones uses JJ to out grapple ppl. The only wrestling he uses is TD shots and TDD.

LW champion- Benson Henderson, - Same as GSP

FW champion- Jose Aldo, same as Anderson

BW champion- Dominick Cruz, OK

FLY champion- Mighty Mouse, OK

Only 3 ppl on this list have a wrestling base and its just asinine to think when they are on the ground they are using wrestling alone and noparts of JJ.

Just because Jon Jones was a standout Greco-Roman Wrestler in college doesn't mean he doesn't have a wrestling base...

All American wrestlers who start in highschool wrestle folkstyle, and even if he was exclusively GR how does that make him not a wrestling based fighter?

Also Bendo started wrestling before he did tkd. Another difference is he competed for wrestling in all of highschool and college.

So by the looks of it 5 of the 8 champs are wrestling based.

We've known that for quite some time....

Myths

- wrestling allows you to dictate where a fight takes place

PROVEN FALSE so many times ths needs to stop being said. (Brock/Overeem just one example, Sonnen/Bisping another, Aldo/many yet another). Wrestling MAY allow you to dictate and it may not. It depends on the overall skill of the fighters involved and not the art. So if it MAY then it is neutral in dictating a fight. tell Aldo that faber or Mendez are going to dictate where the fight takes place with him. lol Again if the wrestler is better he MAY dictate but maybe not. So neutral.

- wrestling is the best base

FALSE - any of the base arts can be best. again depends more on the fighter then the specific base. Wrestling is over represented in MMA's top ranks as far FAR more wrestlers try to make it in the sport then top other arts. BJJ is second. You take most of the top collegiate wrestlers, and a far greater number of them join camps and try to cross over to MMA so d'uh, of course they over represent. I am always shocked that with such a smaller representative group the strikers crossing over have historically done so well (CroCop, Mo Smith, Bas, etc). If anything it might suggest that with fewer attempts more strikers rise to the top levels percent wise then wrestlers.

Back