Wrestling GIFs (Folkstyle, Freestyle, Greco-Roman)

youngsteinel

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Thread dedicated to wrestling GIFs. No MMA, just folkstyle, freestyle, and greco roman. Some GIFs are in spoilers so the page doesn't take TOO long too load. Enjoy the thread.

Bekhan Goygereev with the sweet backflip:

N1OOMUC.gif

The famous "Flying Squirrel" by Ellis Coleman:

qQAYSPb.gif

Sweet arm spin:

temp-320-61166848_medium.gif

Henry Cejudo quick low single:

temp-320-96974940.gif

Ben Askren somehow doesn't expose his back while scrambling into his own takedown:

temp-320-31483945_medium.gif

Logan Stieber with a slick over-collar shrug:

stieber.gif

Last edited:
Ridiculously slick granby by David Taylor:

taylor3.gif

Heavyweight super duck.. slick:

6.gif

Ed Ruth with the single leg takedown:

3.gif

Silly cartwheel by Dylan Ness although he almost scores:

tumblr_n3m7ljxtTF1qbrivdo1_400.gif

Double overhook throw:

temp-320-19293061_medium.gif

Last edited:
There's some cool gifs in here. It's nice to see this stuff as I don't watch wrestling much. Thanks!

I only really have instructional stuff done, I did put a pretty slick ankle pick counter to a single by Yoel Romero from 97 up on my instagram yesterday though

https://instagram.com/p/9GdruJEy__/?taken-by=gambledub

Underhook Throw By
o7D3SGy.gif

Flare Double
WY6BjhT.gif

Beloglazov Breakdown
KqnK6lr.gif

Stop & Swing
wchlRgb.gif

Sanderson Ankle Pick Footwork
QDxekpW.gif

Takedown from Seatbelt
57zls8P.gif

Not sure, I just saw the GIFs in another thead.

Crutchmer with the lat drop:

giphy.gif

Cool cool cool wrestling gifs, more!

Probably facetious, but I will add more.

Jordan Burroughs double legs:

temp-320-39384664.gif

tumblr_mn4gc1iM6r1qbrivdo1_500.gif

tumblr_msqmp9yh8v1qbrivdo1_500.gif

0.gif

Reece Humphrey with the huge throw:

temp-320-77230693.gif

3.gif

Last edited:
my favorite takedown

Maybe not my favorite, but definitely my best!

Kouchi Pick to Front Headlock
FD9vzeT.gif

Sanderson - Ankle Pick to Low Single
zZDu7Cn.gif

Taylor - Cross Pick
SfoHZGu.gif

Taylor - Ankle Pick Recovery
rHmcwGg.gif

Taylor - Ankle Pick Feint/Recovery to Firemans Carry
6yUSawF.gif

and just to mix things up, the "Hararm Goshi"
HygbF4Y.gif

I'm assuming your a BJJ guy base on your info listed. It's a super safe TD for that. No risk for a guillotine.

This. Low risk, high percentage. You can get caught in armbars/triangles if your arm position is sloppy on the finish, but that's everything in grappling. Imo though the biggest benefit to a bjj guy is the ability to use the ankle pick in scramble type situations when finishing sweeps from open guard.

Quentin Wright with the underhook throw by/knee pick on Dustin Kilgore

7.gif

Running fireman's carry at Russian nationals:

awesome-russian-wrestling-highlights-54-o.gif

Johny Hendricks off balance:

temp-320-49029916.gif

Countering the cow catcher:

temp-320-59168826.gif

Last edited:
I'm assuming your a BJJ guy base on your info listed. It's a super safe TD for that. No risk for a guillotine.

i have a wrestling background but bjj has changed my wrestling for sure (and vice versa). the older i get the more my takedowns have stemmed from the collar tie/clinch vs shooting from the outside i.e. sweep singles etc.

That over shrug by Stieber is sick. I've completely changed how I look at that technique over the last few months. I've been obsessing over "pressure-release, pressure-release" with the freestyle/greco club I coach. Teaching the kids snapdowns and fakes etc.

That over shrug is as much a snapdown as a shrug. Combining that with snapdowns and elbow passes can make people terrified of pressuring into you. Then when they're not willing to come into you, it's much easier to shoot without worrying about the reshot.

That's what Stieber does so well. If you try to pressure into him and smother him and slow him down. He uses that overshrug and snapdowns to make you pay. When you realize that and stop pressuring or coming into him he starts hitting that sick low double of his (if he doesn't just shoot right off the bat regardless of what you do lol)

(Hopefully the people on here who've wrestled will know what the hell I'm talking about lol)

That over shrug is as much a snapdown as a shrug. Combining that with snapdowns and elbow passes can make people terrified of pressuring into you. Then when they're not willing to come into you, it's much easier to shoot without worrying about the reshot.

That's what Stieber does so well. If you try to pressure into him and smother him and slow him down. He uses that overshrug and snapdowns to make you pay. When you realize that and stop pressuring or coming into him he starts hitting that sick low double of his (if he doesn't just shoot right off the bat regardless of what you do lol)

I like to pressure in and go for a cross ankle pick, if I am unsuccessful then snap hard on the over collar. Then once they are on their knees you can hit the shrug or the shrug to the single leg. It's a thing of beauty. It will be all over wrestling at all levels in the next couple years. Great point about how after that wrestlers won't pressure into you. Never thought of that effect.

Yeah my college coach was real big on it. If he's not coming into or pressuring you because your either snap him down or hit a passbye, "he's on his heels". So when you shoot, he still obviously will be able to sprawl at least some. But because he's on his heels it is MUCH harder to hit a reshot or counter.

LOT's of wrestlers like to just hang on each other. So a really good way to teach younger wrestlers how to handfight and even more importantly create angles is to have the mentality of when a guy hangs on to them to say in their heads "GET OFF OF ME!!" So whenever you are hitting a fake, doing a passbye/elbow pass, hitting an overshrug or snapdown - you're getting the guy off of you. Post set-ups happen a lot off this almost organically too.

We had what we called a "hate weight drill" where your partner would stiff arm into you or try to grab your head and you cleared the ties over and over again for 30 secs to a minute then the coach would say go and you would hit an attack or snapdown to go-behing and/or a front headlock to score off the angles and openings you created.

Jordan Burroughs is amazing at "pressure-release, pressure-release" he doesn't just "tap" your head. When he posts on your head he's pushing just a little bit into you. All he needs is the guy just to pressure back into him just a little bit, then he can just level change/fake underneath the guys defense, and get them jumping and on their heels. A perfect example of this is his match against David Taylor he won on a double in the last ten seconds (7-6 was the score I believe). Taylor spent most of the match ear to ear with Burroughs, smothering him and able to counter Burroughs single legs. In the last minute of the match, Burroughs found his range and got the "pressure-release" he does, I described earlier. Taylor was jumping out of his skin and on his heels and got blast doubled twice to lose.

The snapdowns are my favorite because they are one of those "simple" moves that are so complex and feel based and used at EVERY level of wrestling from pee-wee to the Olympics. You can hit snapdowns from a: collar and inside tie control, double over tie, etc. You can use them to snap/smash someones face into the mat (Ex. The Brands brothers and Metcalf) or as a shot set-up/handfighting combo (all you need is for their hand to touch the mat when you snap, then their arm is open to get passed/dragged)

However if you hit any of the above moves I described (snapdowns, passbyes/elbow passes, overshrugs) YOU HAVE TO MOVE YOUR FEET LATERALLY aka shuffling. Every person who has seen any wrestling has seen someone hit a really good snapdown...not move their feet and drop their head...and snap the guy right into their legs lol

Ben Askren was so ridiculous. I love watching his matches.

I think I saw that Granby from Taylor live and it blew my mind. That's an amazing amount of faith in your own physical abilities to even attempt something like that.

I've watched that David Taylor gif for about five minutes now and still cant conceptualize what he did.

I've watched that David Taylor gif for about five minutes now and still cant conceptualize what he did.

His opponent went to lift and return him to the mat, and he timed the granby roll absolutely perfectly. The key is where he plants his left foot when he plants it after he gets lifted. That propels him through. It's a poor GIF, I will see if I can find a better video or GIF.

Last edited:
Yeah my college coach was real big on it. If he's not coming into or pressuring you because your either snap him down or hit a passbye, "he's on his heels". So when you shoot, he still obviously will be able to sprawl at least some. But because he's on his heels it is MUCH harder to hit a reshot or counter.

LOT's of wrestlers like to just hang on each other. So a really good way to teach younger wrestlers how to handfight and even more importantly create angles is to have the mentality of when a guy hangs on to them to say in their heads "GET OFF OF ME!!" So whenever you are hitting a fake, doing a passbye/elbow pass, hitting an overshrug or snapdown - you're getting the guy off of you. Post set-ups happen a lot off this almost organically too.

We had what we called a "hate weight drill" where your partner would stiff arm into you or try to grab your head and you cleared the ties over and over again for 30 secs to a minute then the coach would say go and you would hit an attack or snapdown to go-behing and/or a front headlock to score off the angles and openings you created.

Jordan Burroughs is amazing at "pressure-release, pressure-release" he doesn't just "tap" your head. When he posts on your head he's pushing just a little bit into you. All he needs is the guy just to pressure back into him just a little bit, then he can just level change/fake underneath the guys defense, and get them jumping and on their heels. A perfect example of this is his match against David Taylor he won on a double in the last ten seconds (7-6 was the score I believe). Taylor spent most of the match ear to ear with Burroughs, smothering him and able to counter Burroughs single legs. In the last minute of the match, Burroughs found his range and got the "pressure-release" he does, I described earlier. Taylor was jumping out of his skin and on his heels and got blast doubled twice to lose.

The snapdowns are my favorite because they are one of those "simple" moves that are so complex and feel based and used at EVERY level of wrestling from pee-wee to the Olympics. You can hit snapdowns from a: collar and inside tie control, double over tie, etc. You can use them to snap/smash someones face into the mat (Ex. The Brands brothers and Metcalf) or as a shot set-up/handfighting combo (all you need is for their hand to touch the mat when you snap, then their arm is open to get passed/dragged)

However if you hit any of the above moves I described (snapdowns, passbyes/elbow passes, overshrugs) YOU HAVE TO MOVE YOUR FEET LATERALLY aka shuffling. Every person who has seen any wrestling has seen someone hit a really good snapdown...not move their feet and drop their head...and snap the guy right into their legs lol

I generally don't read long posts. but yours was good. the lil bit of wrestling I've incorporated into my NOGI game has helped me tremendously.

Great thread. That shuck/throw by to knee pick by Quentin Wright was dirty. I've never seen those two techniques flow together so well.

And JB Doubles all day. I think the summer of these past London Olympics, I pretty much shot doubles for 90% of my takedowns, just cause I was so amped to try some of Burroughs stuff. The blast double/head in center mass works pretty well in BJJ if you get a guy upright (in my experience/opinion).

Cheers y'all:

I love farside ankle pick setups-- DT w/ Dake (who I also love to watch):
20.gif

I was in love with sweep singles for a while, but moved away from them a bit as they aren't as applicable in MMA/or no shoes (right? I'd be happy to have someone tell me otherwise/ their variation), but this sweep is just dirty:
awesome-russian-wrestling-highlights-9-o.gif

JB being unstoppable:
0.gif

If I knew how to make GIFs I would make them of Beloglazov actually wrestling, but here's him hitting an awesome leg-entanglement throw in one of his instructionals. I love Beloglazov's technique:
iDZ5gqURE2MZH.gif

One of my favorite things about that Beloglazov instructional is that his partner for the whole series is someone who's like a foot taller than him. I get frustrated with my wrestling sometimes because, in theory, all moves should work on an opponent, regardless of their size vs. you (within reason), and sometimes some of my favorite techs only work on those within a certain range of my weight class. Working on it, though.

I'm responding to the two above posts. Thanks for the complement. I try to actually give relevant info when I post novels lol.

To the guy above, You don't see sweep singles in MMA mainly IMO because they're really hard to set up. You don't see many inside bicep ties in MMA lol. And to be honest, in my experience wrestling, in my experience is much more honest about the fact that some moves are only applicable to your own size but some moves are not just practical if you're not built a certain way (lanky, stocky, etc) There are exceptions obviously, but for the most part this holds true

I'm responding to the two above posts. Thanks for the complement. I try to actually give relevant info when I post novels lol.

To the guy above, You don't see sweep singles in MMA mainly IMO because they're really hard to set up. You don't see many inside bicep ties in MMA lol. And to be honest, in my experience wrestling, in my experience is much more honest about the fact that some moves are only applicable to your own size but some moves are not just practical if you're not built a certain way (lanky, stocky, etc) There are exceptions obviously, but for the most part this holds true

Sent you a PM, looking forward to a response. Great posts.

Back