Wrestling for MMA 101

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by kxo, Jan 11, 2015.

1. kxo

kxo White Belt

Hey guys,

i do mma for 2 years, did some kickboxing before that and have now a good base in bjj and muay thai, the problem is my wrestling sucks. German mma schools are not known for a good wrestling base so i am asking you guys which techniques have the most bang for the buck. i will try to youtube them and lern them as good as possible.

what do i know: double leg td, single leg with 3 variations if you do not get them, thats it, and my takedowns are slow as .... I only get them if my opponent is super busy with my jabs.

about me: I am 6'1, 180lbs lifting 150kg and squatting 120kg for 5 reps, so i am not super weak.

about tdd: if you are pushed to the cage and someone is grabbing a leg you try to whizzer? and put all your weight on the grabbed leg, but stronger opponents are still able to lift my leg and get the td, how can i prevent them from doing this.

Takedowns from the clinch are also are good option, my ground and stand up game is on the same level at the moment.

2. Marbig

Marbig Brown Belt

I really like arm drags and ankle picks but then I'm much smaller than you.

3. rmongler

rmongler Black Belt

If hes trying to grab your legs Up against the cage, you have to lunge wide so he can't lock his hands around you.

4. kxo

kxo White Belt

My tdd is shit. He only Had a single on me and tripped me. To My defence the guy is a bb in Judo. Arm drags Are working for me on the ground But I have never successfully pulled it on a good guy.

5. rmongler

rmongler Black Belt

only thing to really say then is git gud (that is, practice).

one thing i know about people who dont have alot of experience in wrestling from neutral is that finishes are easy enough to conceptualise, but dont really have a mind for what the most advantageous tie ups, movements, or weight distributions are. every time you see two jiujiteiros stare each other down, bump foreheads and start holding hands, thats whats up. contrast this for example with how pablo popovitch conducted himself in his polaris match.

there are some drills that can help with this though, by narrowing focusing more on certain areas, such as practicing not letting any body part above the feet touch ground. things like this can help improve balance and teach what setups are most effective for unbalancing the opponent, for the ultimate goal of the takedown.

6. SFCFighter

SFCFighter Blue Belt

cage wrestling is different from regular wrestling...

in germany there is the ringen bundesliga which is popular, maybe you can find a freestyle club

7. jmay829

jmay829 Yellow Belt

^this. It's called a Cage Sprawl, search it on YouTube and stuff should come up. Alan Belcher has some good videos on it

8. DoctorTaco

DoctorTaco Breadhead

Take that jiu jitsu mindset and drill the hell out of the few basic Tds you know. You'll be better served in the long run

9. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

I highly recommend getting a copy of Randy Couture's Wrestling For Fighting. He shows 4 fundamental wrestling takedowns and then shows a number of MMA applications as well as some more advanced Greco stuff. It's very digestable, I've used some things from it.

Also, if you're in Germany, I'd highly recommend talking to some Judo guys about clinch takedowns, specifically ashi waza. Most MMA TDs occur from the clinch, so if you can get good at ouchi gari, kouchi gari, and kosoto gake you'll have a pretty good clinch TD game right there.