Wrestling Dominance: In the Cage, In the Rules (WARNING: long-long read)

The article should come with a disclaimer that the vocabulary used by the author may render it unreadable to idiots.

I think what HomerPlata is trying to say is that the article is quite pretentious. The author has watered down the message in a shit storm of big words.

And that

i wanna know if the writer has actually ever tried to take anyone down? people are making it out to seem like its something that is easily executed and cant be countered. guess what if you know the take down can have that much weight then dont get taken down? maybe try some take down defense instead of going to ur back? taking someone down is not a easy task and should be awarded some points just as if you were trying submission attempts.

Lemme simplify it:

"Takedowns are currently 'worth' too much in MMA. The value of a takedown needs to be scaled down, unless it's a slam. I also hate being smothered by a wrestler and losing decisions because of it."

Sounds about right. My biggest problem with the piece is the author's insistence that takedowns be removed from the effective grappling category. A takedown is offensive grappling: it is used to advance position (standing -> top guard/side mount/NS) which lends then to the next phase, a guard pass/mount/taking the back, and finally going to the submission. Defensive grappling, on the other hand, is used to prevent advancement of position and submissions. If you can stuff a shot, good defensive grappling. If you can stop submissions, good defensive grappling.

In short:

Offensive grappling advances position from standing to a dominant position to set up a submission or maintain control. Defensive grappling is preventing the opponent from advancing in position, defending a submissions attempt, or disrupting the opponent's control enough to regain a neutral/dominant position.

Back