1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Wrestling Coach Super Protective of Mats

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by DanimalJr, Oct 4, 2010.

1. DanimalJr

DanimalJr White Belt

So I am trying to start an MMA/Grappling club at my college and obviously we need mats to hold practice. So I email the wrestling coach about using the wrestling room and he politely tells me to **** off in one single sentence.

I am not sure why that bothers me so much, but its just in high school my wrestling coach was totally open about everything. We had a bunch of random different clubs using our room especially during the off season.

I mean if its not being used and we clean the mats and everything then what is the problem? Why not at least try to help out a group that shares so much with wrestling?

2. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

Why don't you ask him instead of us.

3. RedAger

RedAger Amateur Fighter

Following the spaceship of Bethlehelm with Giorgio
    Go above him to the department head

4. Jim J

Jim J Purple Belt

Mats are expensive. They do get worn out and the more they are used the faster they will wear out.

Wrestling mats are not good for bare feet anyways. They are so soft that toes get twisted easily in them.

5. juji gatame**

juji gatame** Brown Belt

You'll find that martial art/wrestling clubs outside of BJJ will be extremely hostile towards anything MMA. In this case their top wrestlers will go on to MMA rather than continue wrestling possibly for the Olympics because it is financially smarter.

If I even say MMA or BJJ in my Judo club I'm sure it would spark negative feedback.

6. MMA RLZ

MMA RLZ Banned Banned

He can't be sure you guys clean and disinfect the mats after every use, and ultimately he's responsible for the athletes that are at risk from using them as well as the equipment itself. I don't blame him.

7. HEAVY GRAPPLER

HEAVY GRAPPLER Brown Belt

You need to go meet him in person - maybe train with the team, so he can see you're not just some idiot who wants to be a fucking fighter.

8. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

Last year I emailed the head of the athletic dept at my university. I wrote out a nice detailed letter explaining bjj and how we would like to offer free self defense seminars to draw attention for opening up a bjj club.

He replied with "no". Nothing else was written. No explanation, no hello thanks for the offer, didn't even sign his name. I didn't think anyone could sound like a jerk within one word, but this guy sure did.

9. Nick Kilian

Nick Kilian Amateur Fighter

Wrestling mats are very important to be maintained and cleaned and all they need is some skin infection ravaging through the wrestling team because other people are using them when he is not supervising, and with no idea what you guys are doing.

Its like calling up the college football team and asking to use their field for something and tearing it up.

10. crash90

crash90 Blue Belt

Terrible idea. The person above a wrestling coach is likely to be the atheltic director. On an issue like mat use it is likely the AD is going to trust his wrestling coach more than a student. Furthermore, the AD and wrestling coach are likely to have a strong relationship. A student just e-mailing and asking to use the mats after the wrestling coach says no is likely to elicit and even harsher response.

It is in your best interest to actually meet the wrestling coach and speak with him. Make it very clear that you are not out to steal his wrestlers. Explain to him that you will take excellent care of the mats. Perhaps even offer to clean/care for the mats (not just for what you use them for but also for his wrestling team).

11. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

Go to his wrestling training and d'arce him twice , than say , i'll use your mats from now on.

12. DanimalJr

DanimalJr White Belt

I included all of the info about how we would clean the mats both before and after we used them and would be happy to participate in any other maintenance procedures in my email.

13. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Yellow Belt

Very true.

In the end those mats are his mats. They were bought with the intention of being used by the wrestling team. Could he have been nicer? Yes. But if he says no there is no reason to get all bent out of shape. He is running a collegiate team. It is his job. If he wants no one using his workspace then respect it.

14. AaronWindy

AaronWindy White Belt

I dealt with some very similar issues when I started my BJJ club at my university. I tried emailing the athletic director about using some mats that used to be the wrestling team's (we don't have a wrestling team anymore) and I was greeted with "I don't want any of the UFC crap". I tried to explain to him that there are no strikes in BJJ and that we would have insurance forms for all participating students but I was met the same answer. I eventually had to go to the head of the student life organization and he ended up speaking with the Athletic Director and convinced him to let us use the mats after we got all the forms in order.

It was still a tough sell and took me more than 3 months to get everything in order to start the club. It was worth it though and I don't regret it for a minute. Just keep trying and you'll have a good chance of succeeding!

15. bowened

bowened face kick

The guy probably gets emails every week from somebody new wanting to use his team's mats and facilities so they can start an MMA club.

Put yourself in his shoes and think about it a little bit more. If I were him, I probably would have told you the same thing.

16. locnott

locnott Yellow Belt

Use the a section of the Track or Football field, it will build character.

17. bjjaz

bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

I would maybe try again, but sound legitimate.

18. unearth187

unearth187 Blue Belt

this is the right answer

19. Knuckles69

Knuckles69 Purple Belt

If you are feeling offended then you must get satisfaction.

Challenge him to a duel.

20. Ninjamurf

Ninjamurf Handing out lollipops for over 3 decades

But like you said, you don't have a wrestling team anymore. That scenario is going to be much easier when "no one really uses the facility" and "no one needs the mats anymore." Now imagine trying to get approval where trained college athletes, many probably on scholarship, are using the facilities and the mats. Even going to the AD won't get you far in that scenario when all the wrestling coach has to say is, "yes sir, I know they're interested in using our mats. Now go google 'mrsa' for me."

You have to treat this like trying to use a college football teams practice facility (because your definitely not getting the stadium!) for your flag football game. If you tear it up or mistreat it THEY still have to train on it. I remember we use to go back and forth with the student union back in college (UCSB) when they would want to run a co-ed soccer league on our fields. We would say, "you can use that field and that one over there."
    "Well...why can't we use THAT one?"
    "Because that's the field WE use."
    "But...it's the nice field."
    "Yeah...because we don't let co-ed leagues play on it."

You can only imagine how bent I, or any of the other players, would have been if we had to train on a jacked up field because, "well, co-ed was on it all last week." A field that not only makes it hard to train but may, in this case, lead to more injuries. Some of you may think that's elitist or something, but it's part of the reason we were there. In part, some people make their selection on which college they attend based on the facilities and/or equipment. Now, if you want to buy your OWN mats you might be able to talk your way into using their facility when they're not there and they may even have some storage space they will let you use. AD's are generally very attentive to the student body wanting to take part in sports. But wanting to use their equipment is different.