1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Wrestling after college

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Pilgrim35, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Pilgrim35

Pilgrim35 Blue Belt

I never wrestled in high school or college. I graduated from college in May of 2009, but am thinking of trying to take up wrestling now. Is there anyway for people to learn wrestling outside of school? Do places like the YMCA offer high-quality wrestling lessons for adults?

2. FLGrappler21

FLGrappler21 White Belt

You can start by looking for a club on usa wrestling, most clubs allow adults to train too. If you don't find any clubs, you can also go to a local high school and see if the coach will let you practice with them.

3. Mike Wilson Jr.

Mike Wilson Jr. Amateur Fighter

*walks into high school wrestling room*

"Hi there coach! Ive never wrestled a day in my life before, and i was wondering if it would be ok if i rolled around with these kids during your practice? I swear im not on megans list."

:wink:

4. afrdzak

afrdzak Brown Belt

A lot of BJJ schools will have a class that is strictly designed for take downs...both gi and no gi...like one day a week.

Also, many students at BJJ schools and some instructors are former wrestlers. Outside of class time, you can enlist them to help you during open mat sessions.

So you could learn BJJ and wrestling simultaneously.

Finding an adult wrestling club is probably going to be pretty tough.

5. Gorgenflex

Gorgenflex White Belt

Some MMA gyms have wrestling for MMA which is just takedowns and not actually the sport. If you're not currently doing a grappling art you will learn a lot of wrestling takedowns just doing some sort of grappling.

6. knoxpk

knoxpk Black Belt

If you are hell bent on learning just wrestling or focusing on it for a little bit most USA wrestling clubs I have seen allow adults. Hell, Iv'e seen guys in their 60's rolling sometimes.

7. Brian McLaughlin

Brian McLaughlin Green Belt Professional Fighter

My gym has pure wrestling classes twice a week (taught by wrestling coaches), every jiu-jitsu class begins with 5 minutes of takedown drilling and we almost always start on the feet for all our rolling and pulling guard is very frowned upon.

I'm hoping this will catch on and more BJJ schools will follow this model. I think takedowns are as important to BJJ as guard passing, unfortunately very few agree with me and as a result most BJJ guys have terrible takedowns.

8. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

This.

There are plenty of clubs that coach all levels from kids to novice to open. My club did. It's not unheard of for someone to want learn wrestling as an adult these days with the popularity of mma.

9. BSFT

BSFT Brown Belt

also could try a local college, they may have some sort of intramural wrestling club you could join.

10. skey91***

skey91*** Banned Banned

THis is your best bet along with finding an MMA gym like Brian's.

Most Wrestling clubs for adults are for guys that are competing on the Senior circuit.

You are talking about guys trying to make worlds and they aren't going to let some random guy wiht no experience join.

If your close toa College with an intramural team you might be able to workout with them.

11. Jah1mon

Jah1mon Orange Belt

I asked this same question a while back with no success

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/learning-freestyle-greco-roman-1056148/

I checked TheMat.com - The Official Website of USA Wrestling and searched local clubs, called my former H.S. and local colleges but no one was willing to let a random dude in there to start training. Some of my local clubs were interested in setting up a program for adult beginnings but that was about it.

Probably would help if you had some connections at a local college.