Wrestlers: Your coaches ever use code names or letters ? Lol.

had0uken

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I did a little bit of wrestling during my highschool freshman year, and noticed that good coaches stick a lot to the fundamentals. Like one school was known for each specific style, and coaches used code names to develop a solid game plan for gold.

Have your coaches ever used numbers/letters to set up a go to move for a specific situation/approach/body style/tempo ? Don't really have to answer all of those in specifically, but I am just curious to see what you guys have experienced.

Honestly this helped me out a lot, and I am thinking about creating a solid mind map, and a go-to-attack codename board ? I stick a lot to defense, but if I feel like I am confident against a guy I know I'll do something that I am still working on developing to a different level unless it's time to use my best attacks, which is pretty basic stuff.

Sometimes I get over excited and tend to do stupid shit, lolol. But only during practice, if it's in like a competition type scenario then I have my go to moves for specific guys, and principles. It's not a huge variety of moves, but it's been very successful against average players and what not.

My highschool coach just stuck to the names, if he wanted us to shoot a double he'd just yell shoot a double, not any code names or stuff like that.

I try to have a word I can say for a certain wrestler's go to so I don't give it away, but I haven't personally seen hand signals at the high school level. I have only coached for 6 years though. I'm sure schools at the high school and college level do it, but I'm not aware of examples.

At Penn St. wrestling a Jerry S. means it's time to get out of the showers.

At Penn St. wrestling a Jerry S. means it's time to get out of the showers.

Does it really ?! hahaha. Hey I guess whatever works to beat the opposing team, Lolol.
:)

I was just curious and bored so I decided to throw a question out there that was always on my mind, but its always concealed somewhere in the back of my head.

My guess is that yeah there can be advantages to this kind of a situation especially for the beginner wrestler/grappler if he's properly taught with instructions. However, the psychology still is learned all throughout experience, muscle memory, and how the body reacts.

For example: Somebody who is a lot bigger than you with grappling experience, decides to add pressure to get your body down for a purpose. That purpose being psychology, & seeing if you know what you are physically doing. His next step is to either take it out with multiple combos, chaining your attacks to your reactions viciously, putting you in the worst positions possible(KoB), draining stamina, then going to town ... or just let you experiment with defense and assist you with what Rolling/Grappling feels like. IDK much about striking so I couldn't tell you how that feels like, haha.

I guess that kind of stuff just depends on good training partners vs. dicks. Lol.

Last edited:
We renamed the ankle lace a tootsie roll, not many caught onto it.

There's also a single leg defense we call an arm pinch, i have no idea the original name but it's very effective after a sprawl when a guy is still on your leg like a madman.

We renamed the ankle lace a tootsie roll, not many caught onto it.

There's also a single leg defense we call an arm pinch, i have no idea the original name but it's very effective after a sprawl when a guy is still on your leg like a madman.

I believe you are referring to what they call now a bundle.

I'll explain it to see if we are on the same page..

A shoots, B sprawls, A's head is on outside hanging onto right leg, B slides left knee behind A's right armpit while using left arm to control far hip of A, squeezes legs, rotates hip so A and B are both facing same direction, then kicks out leg.

Basic summation?

Stick your fingers in the guys sphincter when he's on your legs and you're sprawling/adjusting etc. BJJ guys let go instantly it's hilarious.

My coach would always shout out a number whenever one of his wrestlers was on bottom.

1 = stand up
2 = switch
3 = granby(or fatman roll for the big kids)

From what I understand, a lot of coaches do the exact same thing except switch is #1.

Oil Check ? That sounds like something related to a machine/car ... I'm a little bit confused right now.

His coach was probably a part-time mechanic and that's the first thing that popped into his mind :D.

Oil check. The one situation when going full retard Toquinho style with a heel hook in a gi jiu jitsu match is acceptable ;)

Oil Check ? That sounds like something related to a machine/car ... I'm a little bit confused right now.

kyxme9dd25.jpg

Softball and homerun are two that come to mind. Softball I've often heard said when your opponent is in the ideal position to be thrown in a headlock. Homerun is said when you are down big late and need a big throw to have a prayer in winning the match, so the coach will yell homerun.

Softball and homerun are two that come to mind. Softball I've often heard said when your opponent is in the ideal position to be thrown in a headlock. Homerun is said when you are down big late and need a big throw to have a prayer in winning the match, so the coach will yell homerun.

Haha, that's nice.

When I was coaching college, I used 2 codewords because you cannot yell shit like this out and expect the ref not to ding your guy

Code word for stall your ass off the last minute or so: Woodchuck
Code word for get the fuck out of bounds and get a fresh start: Viking

Back