Wrestlers that should have been huge...

THE Red Beard

FCF Enforcer
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was a huge wrestling fan through the 90's and really was engulfed with the Monday Night Wars. When the WWF won the war I was excited for some of the WCW talent that would finally get over to give fans like me the dream matches we all wanted. One guy that.i thought would have been awesome in the WWF and was in his prime was Alex Wright.

He came in at 18 years of age and had the best drop kick for a period of time. He was booked like shit IMO and I had heard some shoot interviews regarding his rebrand as Berlyn where it was stated the character died out due to the Columbine school shooter's similar attire.

Alex_Wright_wrestler_%28cropped%29.JPG

He had a great look as Alex Wright but I feel his look and gimmick of Berlyn was awesome.

DdzEQavUwAAuSwP

He had the size, wrestling pedegre (his dad was a legit shooter and wrestler) and look to be a World Champion. I always saw him as the type of guy if booked correctly could have went up against Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels. WCW instead booked him as a German disco dancer and teamed him with Disco Inferno haha. They were fun to watch but you knew they wouldn't be the top guys.

I'm shocked he didn't get a shot in WWF and think if he had made light of his shitty gimmick he could have been a German version of Steve Austin. Way different style but I could imagine him cutting a promo saying how much he hated his WCW characters and then developing into a great heel.

What say you boys? Do you have any other wrestlers that fit this category?

Wright was 18 in this match...think about that for a second.

21 years of age...

Berlyn doing a little feature...

Last edited:
Alex Wright was a very good wrestler and did have some charism buuuuuuut he wasn't going to be a long term main eventer in any organization.

I think with the right gimmick he could have gotten there. He was crazy young still for a wrestler, was good at the politics, and he could actually wrestle.

thread should've been titled
Alex Wright Appreciation Thread

I certainly could have titled it that way but I wanted to hear other wrestlers that were similar in the regards I was speaking of Wright.

Sean o'haire
Ken kennedy
Sin cara
Buff bagwell post WCW shut down.

I agree with all three of these, especially Sin Cara. Buff was a favorite of mine but I guess he had some rough backstage issues. I really liked his move set and attitude though and I think he could have been a great addition to the WWF.

I think with the right gimmick he could have gotten there. He was crazy young still for a wrestler, was good at the politics, and he could actually wrestle.

I certainly could have titled it that way but I wanted to hear other wrestlers that were similar in the regards I was speaking of Wright.

I agree with all three of these, especially Sin Cara. Buff was a favorite of mine but I guess he had some rough backstage issues. I really liked his move set and attitude though and I think he could have been a great addition to the WWF.
from the op it sounded like u just wanted other's opinions of wright.
buff buried himself in wwf/e by having a shitty tv match, starting shit w/ hurricane helms, and having his mom call the office to ask for time off;
3 strikes he's out.

from the op it sounded like u just wanted other's opinions of wright.
buff buried himself in wwf/e by having a shitty tv match, starting shit w/ hurricane helms, and having his mom call the office to ask for time off;
3 strikes he's out.

Yeah I can see where it was interpreted that way. I added an edit to the OP to open it up more. To me, this was about Alex Wright but I wanted other wrestlers in the same line of thought.

I've heard about Buff's mom calling and I've seen his match with Booker T but didn't hear of his issues with Hurricane Helms. It's funny because he wasn't a top talent but at that point being in with Shawn, HHH and the rest of that group gave him tremendous power.

Tatanka, I never felt WWF gave him the huge push that he deserved, he was a fantastic wrestler!!!, I had seen him live at King of the Ring 1993 which I went too with my dad, he was the best wrestler there by far, he was strong and fast and his cardio was really good.

Every time he wrestled he always had a very good match!, I can't think of one bad Tatanka match, the guy was really good. They gave a guy like Lex Luger the WWF belt and tried to make him a huge star, but if you watch the matches between Tatanka and Luger, it was clear to see that Luger was exhausted after a few minutes and Tatanka didn't even have sweat on him, and had to keep trying to slow the pace down so Luger could keep up.

Tatanka, I never felt WWF gave him the huge push that he deserved, he was a fantastic wrestler!!!, I had seen him live at King of the Ring 1993 which I went too with my dad, he was the best wrestler there by far, he was strong and fast and his cardio was really good.

Every time he wrestled he always had a very good match!, I can't think of one bad Tatanka match, the guy was really good. They gave a guy like Lex Luger the WWF belt and tried to make him a huge star, but if you watch the matches between Tatanka and Luger, it was clear to see that Luger was exhausted after a few minutes and Tatanka didn't even have sweat on him, and had to keep trying to slow the pace down so Luger could keep up.

I was a huge fan of his as well and I think he should have gotten a push as a WWF champion. He would have looked super cool with the belt too.

Jindrak & O'Haire could've been like the Road Warriors only instead of size, strength, and toughness it would have been size and sheer athleticism. Would've made for a better matchup against Taker/Kane than Kronik who should've been wrecking jobbers and cruiserweights to get over at first.

Matt Morgan is a tough one. He was a straight up brick and a lot better than anyone else his size WWE tried to make happen (Nathan Jones, Khali.) But he never made it to the top of TNA so I have to believe something else was missing.

I was a huge wrestling fan through the 90's and really was engulfed with the Monday Night Wars. When the WWF won the war I was excited for some of the WCW talent that would finally get over to give fans like me the dream matches we all wanted. One guy that.i thought would have been awesome in the WWF and was in his prime was Alex Wright.

He came in at 18 years of age and had the best drop kick for a period of time. He was booked like shit IMO and I had heard some shoot interviews regarding his rebrand as Berlyn where it was stated the character died out due to the Columbine school shooter's similar attire.

Alex_Wright_wrestler_%28cropped%29.JPG

He had a great look as Alex Wright but I feel his look and gimmick of Berlyn was awesome.

DdzEQavUwAAuSwP

He had the size, wrestling pedegre (his dad was a legit shooter and wrestler) and look to be a World Champion. I always saw him as the type of guy if booked correctly could have went up against Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels. WCW instead booked him as a German disco dancer and teamed him with Disco Inferno haha. They were fun to watch but you knew they wouldn't be the top guys.

I'm shocked he didn't get a shot in WWF and think if he had made light of his shitty gimmick he could have been a German version of Steve Austin. Way different style but I could imagine him cutting a promo saying how much he hated his WCW characters and then developing into a great heel.

What say you boys? Do you have any other wrestlers that fit this category?

Wright was 18 in this match...think about that for a second.

21 years of age...

Berlyn doing a little feature...

4bee419eb86bd36161a90bdaa192dbab.jpg
images
ayx7893araq21.jpg
eva-maries-killer-abs-202002-1581671753.jpg

Never let your spouse manage your career.

Similar problem for both: The times changed as they came in.

Alex Wright was a natural white meat babyface at a time when those were being phased out AND a cruiserweight when the Worlds Collide PPV was about to bring in the luchadores, Ultimo Dragon, Benoit, Eddie, Jericho, etc. The Berlyn gimmick wasn't bad but was maybe too drastic to get the audience to suddenly care. On a related note, if Jerry "Wall/Malice" Tuite hadn't died, he was looking to become a monster in TNA.

Eva Marie's biggest setback was that there became this absurd notion that every woman in wrestling had to be a wrestler and good one at that. FFS, look at her! Is there a single other thing that she needs? A few pieces if pure eye candy wasn't going to devalue women. Especially when one of (if not the) greatest women's champion in the company's history was doing striptease for Vince in the middle of the ring.

Alex Wright got the early push, he was just a little bland. Could have had a longer run if he had teamed up with the right guy for a tag title run. Comedy act with Disco inferno and heel/enforcer combo with the Wall were not serious attempts. Not a headliner though.

Mike Awesome was done pretty dirty by WCW, but I think he was the wrong amount of ugly and too middle of the pack in terms of size for the big leagues. Maybe he should have teamed up with Alex Wright.

I thought Monty Brown had more upside than he ever got credit for too. Dude was cool in early TNA, but his WWE run came and went without anybody noticing.

Alex Wright got the early push, he was just a little bland. Could have had a longer run if he had teamed up with the right guy for a tag title run. Comedy act with Disco inferno and heel/enforcer combo with the Wall were not serious attempts. Not a headliner though.

Mike Awesome was done pretty dirty by WCW, but I think he was the wrong amount of ugly and too middle of the pack in terms of size for the big leagues. Maybe he should have teamed up with Alex Wright.

I thought Monty Brown had more upside than he ever got credit for too. Dude was cool in early TNA, but his WWE run came and went without anybody noticing.
Monty stopped wrestling to take care of family. Sadly we never really got to see what he could do in the E.

The New Breed
They were still green when they burst onto the scene in Jim Crockett Promotions back in 1987 but they were cool as hell, had a great look for the time, could talk and work and were the first taste of hip hop in a promotion and fan base that was used to country and rock n roll which set them apart from everyone else
The gimmick was exciting and they were getting good reactions from the crowd while working their way up the tag team ranks, they feuded with the Rock N Roll Express and then The Sheepherders, when a car accident derailed their careers and they just disappeared from the scene
I was a big time mark for them and spent decades wondering what happened to them until I found out about it on the internet

Monty stopped wrestling to take care of family. Sadly we never really got to see what he could do in the E.

I didn’t know that, he was the guy on early TNA I though was best primed to be a main even yet in WWE, I remember his debut, not liking the new name, then quickly forgot about him.

I didn’t know that, he was the guy on early TNA I though was best primed to be a main even yet in WWE, I remember his debut, not liking the new name, then quickly forgot about him.
Oh yeah. Marcus Corvan. Just another from the rolodex of terrible names

Depends on the measure of "huge".

That said, Owen and Ken Kenedy come to mind. Maybe Ahmed Johnson.

Back