Wrestlers seem to be dominating MMA...

Wrestling is the best base by far for MMA but all the fighters you mentioned are well-rounded not merely just wrestlers. Also Weidman will get smoked by Lyoto and Aldo will KO Mendes again.

i agree,wrestling is by far the best base for MMA,thats why MMA will never be the world wide smash Uncle Dana told us it was going to be,wrestling is boring as fuck to the uneducated.

Am i the only one thinking it might have something to do with 90% of UFC fighters coming from Wrestling. The rest come from a BJJ base.

How many fighters come from a striking background? Gustafsson was an amateur Boxer who never competed in even domestic level amateur fights. Other Boxers include Phillipou and Pickett, Phillipou is probably the most accomplished Boxer in MMA but he is hardly Floyd Mayweather. Pickett just claimed to be a Boxer, there is no proof of this. And there is probably like 4 or 5 guys from a kickboxing background who also weren't that good at kickboxing. Maybe another 2 or 3 from a Karate or Taekwondo base.

LOL at the guy who said Wrestlers are beating strikers at their own game. Do you know what would happen to Jon Jones if he decided to strike with Wlad Klitschko? even with his amazing leg kicks and spinning shit.

No one has ever gave a decent answer to this....
But why is wrestling the best base?
-When it in itself doesn't give the fighter a way to finish the fight?
-You can finish a fight with strikes or be finished by strikes(so it stands you should know how to strike and defend yourself standing)
-you can finish a fight by submission joint lock or choke(wrestling teaches neither)/ --you can finish a fight by getting a dominate position(mount/side mount/back mount...none are in wrestling) and landing gnp

- I've always seen wrestling as a transitional part of mma, but heard its "the best base ...." So many times that I dunno

-so I ask again: if it doesn't provide you with an oppurtunity to finish the fight...how is it better than
- bjj, which gives you multiple ways to end a fight?
- Or MT which also gives you a variety of techniques for ending a fight?????

*coming from a guy who wrestled for about a decade

Grappling and submissions are about position before submission. In wrestling all they do is drill how to get into position and how to get out of it. Any submission grappler can tap out an inexperienced wrestler in seconds. But if you give that wrestler just a little bit of submission acumen and all of the sudden it's a very different fight.

And in general top wrestlers are much better athletes than top grapplers. The amount of physical training to be a top wrestler is just grueling, torturous work. But it makes you a great athlete and not everyone can do it. That's why even top grapplers like Werdum, Maia, etc aren't nearly the athletes that Cain, Weidman, GSP, Hendricks, Koscheck, etc. And that kind of drive and determination it takes to succeed to be a top wrestler translates incredibly well into learning other disciplines. Submission grappling comes easier to wrestlers than strikers because they're already so well versed in gaining position which, like I said earlier, is the absolute most important part of the submission game. If you can't get the dominant position, you have an enormous uphill battle.

Last but not least, the better wrestlers have less fear of getting taken down, which is always something the weaker wrestler must be prepared for which gives the lesser skilled wrestler less opportunities whereas the more skilled wrestler will have be able to be more diverse and have one less thing to worry about.

Obviously, this is speaking in general. There's plenty of cases where the grappler beats the wrestler (Maia/Sonnen).

There have been a whole lot of wrestlers trying to make the switch over to MMA. They basically have been practicing one aspect of MMA their entire lives. The thing is, many of the best ones still don't cut it. With such a high number of guys trying to make the switch, it's not surprising they are at the top right now. That will start to change too. Guys (at least in theory) should start coming up more well rounded and really good everywhere. You have guys like Roshalt and Roller who were really high level wrestlers that couldn't get close to the top. Then you have guys like Maynard, King Mo, Lindland, Munoz, Phil Davis, and Joe Warren - who are good, but who were/will never be UFC champs.

It takes a special combination that is hard to pinpoint. There are guys like Aldo, BJ Penn, Anderson, and Machida for example, who weren't wrestlers from the start, and have beat the crap out of many of the great wrestlers they have faced.

Like Joe says, they are the toughest mentally.

yea ive dabbled in diff martial arts - wrestling was the hardest one by far, in my opinion - i had to admit to myself im not man enough to handle that kind of sht - its such a powerful art though (not discounting other ones) that even a little knowledge will take you really far

i agree,wrestling is by far the best base for MMA,thats why MMA will never be the world wide smash Uncle Dana told us it was going to be,wrestling is boring as fuck to the uneducated.

It depends, I think. Cormiers wrestling tonight was far from boring, imo.

The guys you listed have been winning with striking.

I like how you say the next champ at LW and FW, until they actually win the title they're not dominating their divisions.

HW-American
LHW-American
MW-American
WW-American
LW-American
FW-Brazilian
BW-American
FLW-American
WBW-American

but as a wrestler (who wrestled at the same college after TJ graduated), bretty nice seeing wrestler domination

all those "wrestlers" you mentioned worked on other aspects of fighting n became all around fighters with good striking n subs.

most non wrestlers seem to still ignore aspects of wrestling, n just work on tdd n depend on bjj (subs n sweeps) ounce fight hits the ground.

gsp is rare one who actually worked on his wrestling n it paid off.

Back