Cain
Jones
Weidman
Hendricks
Melendez NEXT CHAMP BROS
Mendes NEXT CHAMP BROS
TJ
Mighty Mouse

It's kinda nuts, it really seems like pulling dudes down and putting your chest on theirs/punching them repeatedly is kinda the best way to fight or something.

Not the most romantic fighting style, wouldn't look good in movies like kung fu does but man.

The sport is always evolving but that's been the case for a while now. Not just the wrestling, but the threat of wrestling makes their striking more effective.

TJ didn't even win with wrestling dog. In fact the last time he used wrestling to win was almost 2 years ago.

What do these three fighters have in common:

Fedor, Anderson, GSP

Last edited:
Nothing more natural, wrestlers absorved jiu jitsu ages ago, now they're refining their striking and they're beating strikers in their own game. Their athleticism and willingness to learn new tricks is simply unbeatable. But don't forget about the russians though (which happens to be great wrestlers as well), because they're slowly making names for themselves.

With that said
Weidman and Mendes by KO/TKO

It goes round in cycles we have had dominant stand up champs as well as grapplers in recent times.

It's mma, some of the "dominant" grapplers also have some of the best stand up in their divisions.
Jones, Weidman last time I checked were not winning their fight by wrestling.

In fact jones had trouble in his last 2 fight even getting Gus and glover to the floor.

Wrestling is one of the three pillars if mma so I don't know why it's surprising that a fighter that is/was a great wrestler is near or at the top of any division.

Wrestling is the best base by far for MMA but all the fighters you mentioned are well-rounded not merely just wrestlers. Also Weidman will get smoked by Lyoto and Aldo will KO Mendes again.

What do these fighters have in common:

Cain
Jones
Weidman
Hendricks
Melendez NEXT CHAMP BROS
Mendes NEXT CHAMP BROS
TJ
Mighty Mouse

It's kinda nuts, it really seems like pulling dudes down and putting your chest on theirs/punching them repeatedly is kinda the best way to fight or something.

Not the most romantic fighting style, wouldn't look good in movies like kung fu does but man.

They all have 8+inch dicks?

news just in...

anderson holding the middlweight title so long in the middleweight division is pretty much the only interruption to this being true for at least the past 5 years or something

What do these fighters have in common:

Cain
Jones-is more of a striker than anything else lately(tex/gus/shad were all striking battles...no the mws(vitor and shale don't count)
Weidman-became champ with a left hook
Hendricks- became champ in a 25 min slugfest(where he landed multiple solid leg kicks among other strikes)
Melendez - can and WILL outstrike champ on the inside/ in the clinch
Mendes -youre either on drugs or stupid
TJ-became champ in a fight that he won based on his STRIKING
Mighty Mouse

Whatta they have in common? They're all really good wrestlers with pretty underrated(in some cases) or impressive(in other cases) STRIKING

....Ok whatta I win?

Wrestling is the best base by far for MMA

No one has ever gave a decent answer to this....
But why is wrestling the best base?
-When it in itself doesn't give the fighter a way to finish the fight?
-You can finish a fight with strikes or be finished by strikes(so it stands you should know how to strike and defend yourself standing)
-you can finish a fight by submission joint lock or choke(wrestling teaches neither)/ --you can finish a fight by getting a dominate position(mount/side mount/back mount...none are in wrestling) and landing gnp

- I've always seen wrestling as a transitional part of mma, but heard its "the best base ...." So many times that I dunno

-so I ask again: if it doesn't provide you with an oppurtunity to finish the fight...how is it better than
- bjj, which gives you multiple ways to end a fight?
- Or MT which also gives you a variety of techniques for ending a fight?????

*coming from a guy who wrestled for about a decade

Back