Social WR lounge 302: whatever gets the job done.

Rate Lowman as a contributor

• 0 i hate this guy

• 1 among the worst ever

• 2 the man is dumb adds nothing

• 3 his political views are crap

• 4 who?

• 5 i dont even notice him

• 6 he is aight

• 7 not bad

• 8 he is top notch

• 9 Lowman for PotWR

• 10 he is the glue that holds his place together

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The existence of Canada literally makes my blood boil
giphy.gif

So, the price of a house has doubled in my province in the last 4 to 5 years, in September the average price was over 20% higher than the same time last year, yet the province has the lowest overall average wage in the country. Who can afford all these expensive houses with all these shitty wages? FWIW the average price for a home here is about $340K while for the whole of the US it's about $270K. It's fucking insane.

Real estate is a racket. It's like collectibles, with a bunch of rich people driving up prices by buying and selling from each other over and over until they can unload their shit on the plebes. Every new craze is a kind of pump and dump, except in this case the craze isn't going anywhere because there are simply not enough houses being built for the number of people who want them.

So, the price of a house has doubled in my province in the last 4 to 5 years, in September the average price was over 20% higher than the same time last year, yet the province has the lowest overall average wage in the country. Who can afford all these expensive houses with all these shitty wages? FWIW the average price for a home here is about $340K while for the whole of the US it's about $270K. It's fucking insane.

Real estate is a racket. It's like collectibles, with a bunch of rich people driving up prices by buying and selling from each other over and over until they can unload their shit on the plebes. Every new craze is a kind of pump and dump, except in this case the craze isn't going anywhere because there are simply not enough houses being built for the number of people who want them.

Oh man. Average house prices where I live are over 1mil or 750k usd and only going up

Oh man. Average house prices where I live are over 1mil or 750k usd and only going up
And that ripples out to every other area around you and increases pressure to further raise prices there too. All propelled by a few rich motherfuckers throwing in blind bids way over asking.

Where do you live? I'm in a suburban area in the Atlanta metro and prices are up 23.7% over the last year. 23.3% where I used to live in Jacksonville, FL.

China

Where do you live? I'm in a suburban area in the Atlanta metro and prices are up 23.7% over the last year. 23.3% where I used to live in Jacksonville, FL.

Queenstown nz so not surprising it's expensive but the whole country has gone crazy

I already have a P10C but have P10F mags so getting a P10F made more sense. I want that Taran 2011 though. But it's like 5 grand.

Move farther
Can't right now. I'm kind of in a wait it out mode to see what our head of office does to try and get us more oney. He appparently basically held the county council hostage after the recission when everyone in the office took paycuts to not be fired to give them back what they lost plus some extra. Hoping he does the same now.

It's not just the Chinese. It's too much non-resident purchasers period regardless of origin combined with so-called blind bids where other bidders have no idea how much others are offering, which leads to more and more desperate people offering more and more over the asking price due to the massive shortage of inventory. And multinational corporations that open a 300 square foot office here don't count as resident in my book.

Regardless, if more houses aren't being built it's just going to get worse and worse even if more strict rules are brought in. The guy who owns the transit company here will be very happy when he is asked (and funded) by the city/province to add more routes due to all the poors who work in the city yet have to live half an hour out of downtown because they can't afford anything closer to live in.

This is a pretty small place and it doesn't take long for effects like that to show harm to the community. Downtown is very pretty, no doot a boot it, but it has a soulless feel to me of the sort you see in other such tourism-dependent places that we had avoided until recently. I think it's due to the gentrification of the area and the increased amount of short term rentals and high-end accommodations but I admit that's only my feeling based on experience--don't ask me for the receipts. I am sure, in any event, there are far fewer long term rentals, and far fewer lower income households than, say, 20 years ago.

It's not just the Chinese. It's too much non-resident purchasers period regardless of origin combined with so-called blind bids where other bidders have no idea how much others are offering, which leads to more and more desperate people offering more and more over the asking price due to the massive shortage of inventory. And multinational corporations that open a 300 square foot office here don't count as resident in my book.

Regardless, if more houses aren't being built it's just going to get worse and worse even if more strict rules are brought in. The guy who owns the transit company here will be very happy when he is asked (and funded) by the city/province to add more routes due to all the poors who work in the city yet have to live half an hour out of downtown because they can't afford anything closer to live in.

This is a pretty small place and it doesn't take long for effects like that to show harm to the community. Downtown is very pretty, no doot a boot it, but it has a soulless feel to me of the sort you see in other such tourism-dependent places that we had avoided until recently. I think it's due to the gentrification of the area and the increased amount of short term rentals and high-end accommodations but I admit that's only my feeling based on experience--don't ask me for the receipts. I am sure, in any event, there are far fewer long term rentals, and far fewer lower income households than, say, 20 years ago.
I know it’s not just them. They are the main problem though in terms of foreign ‘investors’ buying homes and whole neighbourhoods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back