Wow!

Did Jacare's post fight translator look like Jorge Gurgel to anyone else..or was he Jorge?

Did Jacare's post fight translator look like Jorge Gurgel to anyone else..or was he Jorge?
That was him. Weird huh

Kept thinking I know who that is and then it came to me, that's the Jiu Jitsu guy who wouldn't ever go to the ground.

Was there much debate that he could beat the 13th ranked mw?
People were calling him "done" , and there was doubt.
People here talked like he no longer had any business being in the cage at this point.
It's the Sherdog way.

People were calling him "done" , and there was doubt.
People here talked like he no longer had any business being in the cage at this point.
It's the Sherdog way.

I accept that.

I dont accept beating a low ranked fighter he already beat is proof that he isn’t “done” or is in any way shape or form a legitimate title contender.

I accept that.

I dont accept beating a low ranked fighter he already beat is proof that he isn’t “done” or is in any way shape or form a legitimate title contender.
I am not saying that he should be fighting for the title, and don't expect him to fight for the title before he retires, I just think there are still some intriguing matchups for the guy and he can hang with some of the best.
So maybe we don't define a fighter being "done" the same way.

I am not saying that he should be fighting for the title, and don't expect him to fight for the title before he retires, I just think there are still some intriguing matchups for the guy and he can hang with some of the best.
So maybe we don't define a fighter being "done" the same way.

That’s fair.

Completely different scenario.

In kongo/barry, it was a flash KO and the downed fighter woke up immediately and was actively defending. He went from standing, to floored, but was immediately able to stand normally and continue fighting.

In this fight, the fighter was never out, but had clearly been robbed of his ability to stand up via head trauma, let alone defend. When he tried to stand, jacare just bumped into him, sending him reeling to the fence, still unable to stand. He then ate bombs to the head that left him unable to even lean against the fence, let alone stand or defend, and collapsed to the floor in the pile while more bombs loaded up to drop.

The ref knew he was done, he knew he was done, everyone knew he was done.

Except the guy with money on brunson, of course. Lol

It's not a flash KO when you keep getting knocked down lol. Kongo kept eating repeated punches to the head without defending himself and he kept getting floored by them as well. In the overwhelming majority of cases, that fight is stopped much, much earlier, but because the referee let it go on, we saw what happened. Brunson went down only one time and then after eating only a couple more shots (and not even hard shots), the fight is stopped.

It may not have made a difference, but at least let it go on a little longer to be sure.

That was him. Weird huh

Kept thinking I know who that is and then it came to me, that's the Jiu Jitsu guy who wouldn't ever go to the ground.
Haha... thought it was him. Thanks for confirming. Yup.. Rich Franklin’s friend and cornerman.

The return of Rich’s BFF tonight was almost as exciting as Jacare’s head kick..
3C6EE1EE-4625-4C56-AC39-FACFC2DCB19E.jpeg

It's not a flash KO when you keep getting knocked down lol. Kongo kept eating repeated punches to the head without defending himself and he kept getting floored by them as well. In the overwhelming majority of cases, that fight is stopped much, much earlier, but because the referee let it go on, we saw what happened. Brunson went down only one time and then after eating only a couple more shots (and not even hard shots), the fight is stopped.

It may not have made a difference, but at least let it go on a little longer to be sure.
I see what you're saying, but i still think this stoppage was good.

The "kongo" situation is a 1/10 times kind of a thing, imo.

For every fighter that survives being ko'd and manages to get back in the fight and make it competitive or win, there are 9 others in a similar situation who are done.

In a pro sport, can we really let 9/10 fighters in that situation get potentially career or life changing/ending damage to the head just to gwt to see that 1/10 guy somehow survive and win?

Fuck no, especially with the changes in what we know about brain trauma now.

Anyone saying otherwise is a fucking idiot, imo, and this is coming from someone who participates in combat sports and takes that same trauma risk themselves, so save the "they know what the signed up for" nonsense.

Athletes do have to be protected from themselves sometimes, even if they sign up knowingly for the dangerous activity.

I know it's frustrating to take a loss from an early stoppage, but if the shots are affecting your gait and equillibrium, there is a brain injury and the bout needs to stop. Time to rest and get evaluated by a doctor.

Remeber that ammy guy from roufus sport that died after completing the bout? He didn't even get dropped, just wailed on.

All the medical professionals that analyzed the footage for what could have been done differently all commented that the way he was stumblung around during the later rounds was a clear indication that he was critically injured. He was tripping over his feet during the fight, even though he hadnt taken any significant blows, just an accumulation of little blows.

That loss of gait control is a big warning sign for brain injury. Any time a ref sees someone drop like they were shot, or continually be unable to stand or walk normally, I'm ok with the stoppage, especially if they've been ko'd a lot, or ko'd recently, or they are an aged fighter.

Safety first, we don't need fighters dying for the art.

Completely different scenario.

In kongo/barry, it was a flash KO and the downed fighter woke up immediately and was actively defending. He went from standing, to floored, but was immediately able to stand normally and continue fighting.

In this fight, the fighter was never out, but had clearly been robbed of his ability to stand up via head trauma, let alone defend. When he tried to stand, jacare just bumped into him, sending him reeling to the fence, still unable to stand. He then ate bombs to the head that left him unable to even lean against the fence, let alone stand or defend, and collapsed to the floor in the pile while more bombs loaded up to drop.

The ref knew he was done, he knew he was done, everyone knew he was done.

Except the guy with money on brunson, of course. Lol
Thats fair. I just like to see a fight like Jones vs Cormier ref let DC time to come back after many shots I get its unnecessary trauma to the head but this is the UFC thats the business they chose.

Of course I have seen it. He wasn't intelligently defending himself. Mirg is the best referee there is.
And Kongo wasnt intelligently defending himself. Against Pat Barry Kongo was flailing around like somebody stole his bones. Then came back and KOed Pat. I wanna see a fight, this is the UFC. I dont know whats so ULTIMATE about it if they stop it as early as they do. Brunson may not have come back but he wasnt on the ground either...He was still getting up then the ref steps in and stops it. If people are so worried about their brains then dont be a fighter. You risk getting Ronda head kicked any time you step in the cage.

NOT TO MENTION it was a matter of time before Brunson got knocked out if anyone was watching how he keeps he chin in the air while throwing combos or any strike for that matter he cant be doing that against Jacare, even though it was the head kick that first started off the finish. Brunson needs to keep his chin DOWN

Jacare is just awesome and shows how great a performance whittaker had against him

That was what I said last night. That fight was an amazing performance for Jacare, but also just highlighted how great Whittaker is right now.

A little early but better than TBI for Derek.

Let' be honest...after the replay do you really think Brunson was going to recover ?

I commented that he was done immediately after the kick landed, but that the ref hadn't woken the fuck up yet. Even drunk, that was plainly obvious. Brunson was finished. Anyone who legitimately believes it was an early stoppage is a genuine moron.

And Kongo wasnt intelligently defending himself. Against Pat Barry Kongo was flailing around like somebody stole his bones. Then came back and KOed Pat. I wanna see a fight, this is the UFC. I dont know whats so ULTIMATE about it if they stop it as early as they do. Brunson may not have come back but he wasnt on the ground either...He was still getting up then the ref steps in and stops it. If people are so worried about their brains then dont be a fighter. You risk getting Ronda head kicked any time you step in the cage.
Become a ref and let them kill each other

Back