Wow Submissions 101...

Ari didn't train under Eddie Bravo. He watched his videos and went to a few seminars. He has offered BJJ classes for many years, even prior to his "Eddie Bravo training". I have no doubt he loves grappling, but not having any real training other then teaching TMA students is weaksauce. He wants to be a talented, respected, highly regarded grappler but doesn't seem to demonstrate he wants to take the time necessary to learn BJJ/grappling/whatever by going to classes week in and week out.

Eddie gave him a purple which some people (BJJ black belts) seem to be questioning. Why would he not get regular training? IMO teaching techniques to students and making instructional videos of techniques you learned from other instructional videos without qualification makes you a fraud. He wants to "skip steps" of all the hard work it takes to become an elite grappler. It doesn't work that way. His 20 years of Aikido (or whatever it was) doesn't give him liberty to transfer rank.

I'm baffled why Mikey would become an active member of that website forum. Look at a legit purple belt like Aesopian does with instructionals and then look at Ari's and tell me who's the fraud.

My .02, and I am a complete jiu jitsu noob, the comparison between Aesopian's work and Sub101 is laughable. I have found Aesopian's site to be extremely helpful, and he moves and explains the techniques well.

What tournaments has Ari won? Any? I'm not saying you must be a great competitor to teach, but some credentials would be nice.

I wish he would go old school and accept a challenge from someone, or if he entered a big comp.

The mat doesn't lie.

Well I think it would be awesome if you made a "competitive" sight with free techniques. the more the better.

I'd also like to point out the FACT that NOBODY loves outing a fraud more than myself, and I think there's plenty of evidence to back that up. That being said Ari isn't a fraud, and the one you outed in canada while very respectable of you is irrelevant here IMO. Ari was an ambitiious TMA guy with a good idea that started training under a Eddie Bravo and recieved his purple belt, and the big thing is in the past he's never tried to lie about his rank in BJJ; he even put up a disclaimer on his site. If he got his rank under the fraud you outed in Canada then I'd be 100% behind you, but that isn't the case.

Dude i asked ari what his rank was way about a year ago on his youtube site. He said that he wasn't ranked via PM and DELETED my post on his youtube page. He tried to justify wearing a tma black belt with a koral gi. He KNEW what that would make people think. He didn't straight out lie.. he just didn't tell the whole truth... what that makes someone... is up to you.

Make me shut the fuck up.

I'm not naming names because I'm not doing the obvious work for you anyone who wants to throw that red herrring out. I don't have to be specific this is the friggin internet.

do your parents know you are on the computer?

Here is an exact example of the biased lynching I'm talking about: Certain people here, and you know who you are, ripped Ari a new asshole because he had videos with mistakes in them. Then when Ari takes the videos down, which is the right thing to do when there are mistakes in them, the same people rip him a new asshole saying his taking the videos down proves their point.

It does prove the point genius. The point being that Ari doesn't know shit about the techniques he's "teaching" in the videos in question. That's why he took them down. He still has alot more he needs to take down too.

He was put in a no win situation on a specious argument. if the real evidence was enough to stand alone and if there wasn't a trashing of a person going on we wouodn't have the crap posted by imposters and the character assination that passed for proof on UG. "I hear from a friend that knows a guy who says Ari is a dick" yeah that's passes for proof alright.

He put himself in whatever situation he is in. How can you whine about people not providing evidence when you yourself make claims that you refuse to provide evidence of. The "evidence" against Ari is the videos he himself recorded.

Well I think it would be awesome if you made a "competitive" sight with free techniques. the more the better.

I'd also like to point out the FACT that NOBODY loves outing a fraud more than myself, and I think there's plenty of evidence to back that up. That being said Ari isn't a fraud, and the one you outed in canada while very respectable of you is irrelevant here IMO. Ari was an ambitiious TMA guy with a good idea that started training under a Eddie Bravo and recieved his purple belt, and the big thing is in the past he's never tried to lie about his rank in BJJ; he even put up a disclaimer on his site. If he got his rank under the fraud you outed in Canada then I'd be 100% behind you, but that isn't the case.

Mikey; I asked you a while ago why the soft spot for Ari, and you never answered. I don't get it.

Just so you know, my reference to Christian was to defend the accusation of me and my motives, not because I thought it related to Ari. It doesn't. However, the point was/is I do just care about this stuff. IMO, Ari is either really stupid or willingly fraudulent. I have formed this opinion through personal interactions/observations and the accounts of others. You can say he never lied or he is "training" under Eddie Bravo and "earned" his rank, but you and I both know that allowing someone to assume something that is not true, though you maybe never said it, is still a lie. He is very misleading. I do believe that is now intentional. He only put up the disclaimer on his website after the original Sherdog thread. I told him in a PM that he should put it on his website and at the front of each video. We got halfway there. However, a ton of his viewers are on youtube, so I guess they'll never see it anyway.

To be honest, I usually like and agree with your posts, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. But I will say that I am 99.9% sure Ari is more than just an ambitious TMA guy with good motives. I do believe he is intentionally misleading and is in it for his ego and money. In that order.

because Eddie Bravo promoted him to purrple belt...

Purple Shirt! Purple Shirt!!

Mikey, How long have you trained BJJ? How long have you trained under your instructor? How much mat time have you put in to learning BJJ? How much extra, off the mat time have you spent discussing BJJ on-line and face-to-face with others? How many instructionals have you studied? How many ADCC matches have you watched in slo mo to try and figure what the hell just happened? How many times have you forward snaked out of bed in the morning just cause it meant one more rep, so why not? What belt are you? Still blue? Do you really think Ari has put in the time and dedication to learn BJJ to earn him his purple? Do you think Ari is a better grappler than you? You do teach, right? Do you think he teaches techniques better than you? Do you think he earned the right to create an instructional video highlighting grappling techniques and sell it? When do you stop and say, "Hey wait a second buddy! Get to the back of the line. I was here first!"

Purple Shirt! Purple Shirt!!

Mikey, How long have you trained BJJ? How long have you trained under your instructor? How much mat time have you put in to learning BJJ? How much extra, off the mat time have you spent discussing BJJ on-line and face-to-face with others? How many instructionals have you studied? How many ADCC matches have you watched in slo mo to try and figure what the hell just happened? How many times have you forward snaked out of bed in the morning just cause it meant one more rep, so why not? What belt are you? Still blue? Do you really think Ari has put in the time and dedication to learn BJJ to earn him his purple? Do you think Ari is a better grappler than you? You do teach, right? Do you think he teaches techniques better than you? Do you think he earned the right to create an instructional video highlighting grappling techniques and sell it? When do you stop and say, "Hey wait a second buddy! Get to the back of the line. I was here first!"

I just don't see myself in a position to question Eddie's decision, especially since I haven't trained under Eddie and don't understand exactly how he runs his system. All i know is I like 10thPJJ and Eddie is a legit grappler that I not only respect, but have actually based about 15% of my game off of. If Ari was under someone I never heard of, or someone we couldn't find records of then this would be a different story.

Just a heads up Mikey, I actually live in Vic, so I get to hear about this stuff first/second hand.

UG goes in depth in trying to deconstruct what training he's actually had, but I don't think it's explicitly mentioned that Ari just received his purple belt(shirt) in March/April. This was at the same time his dojo's name changed from dragon's lair victoria ju jitsu or whatever, to 10th Planet Victoria. Prior to this, he was never a white belt, and he was never a blue belt under anyone (for bjj). He was never a student of Eddie's in the traditional sense, Eddie lives about 2000 miles away. He has been up here for a few seminars that I know of, and I assume Ari has been down there a few times.

So while he only recently received his ranking, and began teaching the 10th planet system, Ari has been teaching BJJ since at least 2003/2004 (this isn't personal knowledge, but there is an archived link to his old webpage on UG which is dated).

Anyway, maybe you know all that, just the way some of your posts were phrased, I got the impression you might not. Cheers.

Just a heads up Mikey, I actually live in Vic, so I get to hear about this stuff first/second hand.

UG goes in depth in trying to deconstruct what training he's actually had, but I don't think it's explicitly mentioned that Ari just received his purple belt(shirt) in March/April. This was at the same time his dojo's name changed from dragon's lair victoria ju jitsu or whatever, to 10th Planet Victoria. Prior to this, he was never a white belt, and he was never a blue belt under anyone (for bjj). He was never a student of Eddie's in the traditional sense, Eddie lives about 2000 miles away. He has been up here for a few seminars that I know of, and I assume Ari has been down there a few times.

So while he only recently received his ranking, and began teaching the 10th planet system, Ari has been teaching BJJ since at least 2003/2004 (this isn't personal knowledge, but there is an archived link to his old webpage on UG which is dated).

Anyway, maybe you know all that, just the way some of your posts were phrased, I got the impression you might not. Cheers.

"Teaching an armbar" doesn't mean teaching BJJ. If that's the case, sambosteve just posted a few sweet BJJ competitions in october, with some weird "sambo" title.

in JJJ it can be 5-6 years before you land a black belt - TMA speed - but if he spends a lot of that grappling AND focusing on 10th planet JJ moves....just how impossible is it that he'd be purple? I honestly can't judge.

arichoke.jpg

Thoughts?

lol he does seem a bit fraudulent and money driven with the dvds and the seminars but I guess if thats all hes got going for him then jiu jitsu is a good way to make a quick buck, and the videos are free, so there's always something to pick up, if it was a service u had to pay for that's something else, but guys who put it free on youtube for the masses cant be criticized.

arichoke.jpg

Thoughts?

Thoughts:

That is the most unoriginal idea for a tshirt ever, I would rather wear an affliction shirt.

He doesn't compete, never has, and will not under the guise he has back problems, all the while rocking 10th planet techniques that rely on very least a moderate amount of lower back and leg flexibility, not to mention being stacked.

He is a great marketer. He has a legion of loyal fans while general consensus by a handful of respected blackbelts and browns, think of him as a scab.

In closing, he is a spectacular internet personality, and I would drive 2 hours in any direction to train with someone else if I was living in Victoria BC. His 15 minutes is starting to close in on him very fast.

We love you Ari!

if it was a service u had to pay for that's something else, but guys who put it free on youtube for the masses cant be criticized.

Disinformation can be criticized, and should be.
The cost of poor information is measured in attention -- a lot of people spend their time on his site instead of learning from more legitimate sources.

lol he does seem a bit fraudulent and money driven with the dvds and the seminars but I guess if thats all hes got going for him then jiu jitsu is a good way to make a quick buck, and the videos are free, so there's always something to pick up, if it was a service u had to pay for that's something else, but guys who put it free on youtube for the masses cant be criticized.

Just because something is free, does not mean that it is above criticism or question.

they are horrible

first he is a Eddie Bravo rep that has never trained with him

He has no BJJ training and was going around wearing a black belt for awhile

Back