Wow. Robbie Lawler gets no rest.

Robbie has that man's man attitude. Like Hendo has. No bullshit, no shit talking, just fighting and chewing it up
Robbie by TKO

It was a quick 3 round battle in which Robbie did not get hit much at all. So 2 months are ok. It was the 2 months after the 5 Round Hendricks battle that seemed like it asked for a few months rest. But If Robbie could fight 2 months after a 5 Round barn burner , a 3 round minimal damage fight should not warrant for more than 2 months rest if the money is right.

Yeah, Mike Tyson also fought absolute cans for his first 20 or so fights, just like every prospect that goes pro in boxing. Most MMA fighters that have 20 fights or more have faced opposition equal to themselves by then. The can crushing in pro boxing is on par with the early Pride days.

If you wish to develop a fighter this is actually what you do. You train a new technique/counter technique per fight to that specific opponent.

So when those big fights come that fighter is at his peak as an athlete. In MMA that mostly isnt possible. The talent pool is far to thin and sporadic to achieve such a task.

Robbie is going to be in the UFC's good graces for the rest of his career now. He's going to make bank even after his holdover Strikeforce contract is up. The UFC takes care of guys like Lawler.

If you wish to develop a fighter this is actually what you do. You train a new technique/counter technique per fight to that specific opponent.

So when those big fights come that fighter is at his peak as an athlete. In MMA that mostly isnt possible. The talent pool is far to thin and sporadic to achieve such a task.

I realize this, I was just pointing out the fight frequency. And not all guys need to be babied as such, especially a guy like Tyson. Yet you see it all the damned time. At that point, it's just record padding by the promoter for marketing reasons.

Gotta get that money while you can homie, he on a hot streak right now and is fighting the best he ever has in his life, he is right now probably on par with any welterweight out there if not the best. I'm a Hendricks sack nibbler but I'll give Robbie atleast equal footing because they both got after it for the belt.

I realize this, I was just pointing out the fight frequency. And not all guys need to be babied as such, especially a guy like Tyson. Yet you see it all the damned time. At that point, it's just record padding by the promoter for marketing reasons.

Just look at Robbies record. Whenever he faced a top quality opponent he has lost. An even got into the UFC off of a loss.

All this hype around him isnt warranted.

He's reeling in the cash and it's a favorable matchup. Win-win.

As long as you're not injured, I think you're much better off fighting as often as possible. I mean most guys spar hard anyways, so might as well get paid six figures to go that extra 20% difference between hard sparring and fighting on a card.

That touches on the heart of the matter. Manage your training and most fighters could go 5 times a year barring injury.

Just look at Robbies record. Whenever he faced a top quality opponent he has lost. An even got into the UFC off of a loss.

All this hype around him isnt warranted.

They were forced to take his contract on because of the Strikeforce deal. I don't know what happened. Lesser competition or re-dedication? You tell me. He sure as fuck isn't fighting cans all of a sudden.

I think it's just a matter of time before he is champ. He's looking good. I love this fight with Brown, it's going to be a barn burner and come down to who is the tougher guy and who can take more punishment. Robbie can dish out a little harder I'd say but I Brown is a beast and great cardio.

I was never a big fan of his, but damn, the dude is something else. His attitude towards fighting is extremely refreshing for a fan during an era where many fighters play it safe. He's a warrior, without question. Seemingly gives zero fucks about anything outside of doing what he does, which is fight.

He's old school, a 13 year pro. Who has lots of years left by the looks of things.

Back