Wow. Overeem looked great!

Overeem looked massive today. He looked a lot bigger than in previous fights

I think he on his horse meat diet and simply not giving a shit since it was the last fight on his contract...

He's always seemed to me like an intelligent and composed guy. Supremely confident, but not delusionally so. His career longevity reflects his dedication and focus.

Don't you have to be a little delusional to be confident after that many brutal losses? Maybe you have to be just a little delusional to be a successful fighter at all. Keeps you from getting scared and hesistant, which is the worst thing you can do in a fight.

That's what always struck me as well. We've seen guys deteriorate where they previously weren't getting KO'd and then it happens frequently- Chuck, Rashad- but Reem has been brutally finished in many of his losses and that's been the case throughout his career, not a function of aging or wear and tear. No one really clamors for the guy to call it a career (which is the case with almost every fighter of a certain age who loses by a KO) when something bad happens because he's seemingly always bounced back without issue.

I think he keeps a positive attitude and doesn’t let losses eat away at him.
And he seems to genuinely enjoy training and fighting.

Reem has some serious stones and an unbreakable will to keep not only competing but believing in himself after some of the brutal losses he's had.

He came out with his hands up instead of his Machida/Econo-Reem stance which is a positive. He also went for the kill when he had him hurt instead of being worried that he'll gas out.

Glad he won but Reem is so inconsistent these days. His next fight, he'll probably try some new wacky style and get blasted.

That's what always struck me as well. We've seen guys deteriorate where they previously weren't getting KO'd and then it happens frequently- Chuck, Rashad- but Reem has been brutally finished in many of his losses and that's been the case throughout his career, not a function of aging or wear and tear. No one really clamors for the guy to call it a career (which is the case with almost every fighter of a certain age who loses by a KO) when something bad happens because he's seemingly always bounced back without issue.

It's because his skills aren't declining. Each fight is simply a matter of whether he can avoid taking any hard punches.

quite literally demolished him, sounded like he was hitting him in the face with his old Pride hammer rather than his fists

That hammer looked like rubber if I recall correctly

I honestly think along with fhe chin going some, its that people see they can be knocked out and thier mystic is gone. Chuck was feared and once he got koed, not so much. Same w wandy. Fedor etc... With reem everyone knows he can get koed, but he still has the tools and believes he can win, so he does. He has no fear of the ko, and is a dangerous guy.

He did look great, I was so nervous in the first minute of the fight, just waiting for him to get KO'ed. But, his more aggressive style really played out well, let's hope he carries it onto his next fight.

I wonder how he stacks up with DC, but more so Jones if he jumps up to HW. Especially since they were training partners, I dont think he'd mind fighting Jon if the belt was up for grabs. He could surprise Jonny Brasco.

Heavyweight literally only has like 5-6 fighters rn (that come to mind) worth a shit in the top 10 right now signed with UFC vs in Bellator. Werdum is suspended indefinitely, Stipe, DC, JDS, Ngannou and Reem.

Reem is 2-1 against Werdum, 0-1 against Stipe and 1-0 against JDS.

Why he called out Ngannou again baffles me.

Reem is so up and down, but what a career! I'm glad he's still in a position to fight and win a decent amount.

I wonder how he stacks up with DC, but more so Jones if he jumps up to HW. Especially since they were training partners, I dont think he'd mind fighting Jon if the belt was up for grabs. He could surprise Jonny Brasco.
I don’t think Jon has the power to KO Overeem. I would love to see that fight.

He looked great and had a great game plan. UFC threw that Russian guy into deep water. Stiple got a nice, gradual entrance into the HW division compared to the Russian guy.

Overeem is a front runner, but his ability to come back from brutal losses must be one of the best we've seen in MMA? He has been KO'd like 15 times and still seems unphased mentally.

This, his mental strength is staggering. He wasn't even shook from the ultra brutal Ngannou KO. Prime Crocop with Overeem's resolve could have been GOAT.

Back