Wow how over hyped and over rated was Mcmann and Calderwood?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno if I'd say McMann was exposed. She sucks off her back like most wrestlers, and she got put there because her striking defense sucks like most wrestlers.

Calderwood, I'll give you. She seems to get hit way too much for a supposedly decorated striker, and her sub defense is suspect. I still wonder how much of her issues are mental...

McMann showed solid striking against Miesha Tate. It wasn't really that surprising that Miesha managed to hold her down, I think.
The biggest surprise with McMann, that nobody could have predicted, is how she reacts to strikes. We just didn't have the chance to see how she responds to brutal strikes early in her career. It's something you only know through trial by fire.
The fact that Amanda Nunes defended her takedown attempts is very significant, but people put too much emphasis on it. If the fight went three rounds, McMann would have taken Nunes down. Amanda Nunes only barely defended the last takedown attempt, it's not like she made Sara look totally stupid.

Nunes also hit like a truck and possibly harder than any other female BW (hard to tell between her and R3, but Nunes is more consistent in delivering the destruction as a striking oriented fighter). Most of her wins are by 1st and 2nd round T/KO, it wouldn't have been shocking if the punch she dropped McMann with had put her out cold.

I dunno if I'd say McMann was exposed. She sucks off her back like most wrestlers, and she got put there because her striking defense sucks like most wrestlers.

Calderwood, I'll give you. She seems to get hit way too much for a supposedly decorated striker, and her sub defense is suspect. I still wonder how much of her issues are mental...

she seemed stuck by moroz. she kept getting hit by the same punch and never adapted to it.

This is one of the most epic self burns of all Sherdog history.

Calderwood is still 10-1. I'd say that the haters claiming she isn't UFC level and calling for her to be cut are the delusional ones.

Nunes also hit like a truck and possibly harder than any other female BW (hard to tell between her and R3, but Nunes is more consistent in delivering the destruction as a striking oriented fighter). Most of her wins are by 1st and 2nd round T/KO, it wouldn't have been shocking if the punch she dropped McMann with had put her out cold.
Yep, exactly. So asking "How did no one see that McMann would be TKO'd by Nunes?" yields the obvious answer:

"Sara had never fought anyone like Amanda Nunes before."

The only fighter McMann had fought who has real KO power was Ronda Rousey, but getting TKO'd by a knee to the liver from Ronda Rousey wasn't really solid evidence that McMann doesn't react well to being hit. It just raised some concerns.

At least Mcmann got her ass kicked by chicks in the top 5. Calderwood is getting wrecked by mere prospects.

Calderwood is still 10-1. I'd say that the haters claiming she isn't UFC level and calling for her to be cut are the delusional ones.

Devil's advocate:

Bethe is just 9-1, but I think we have a pretty good idea of her potential. She's not very likely to dethrone Ronda.

That being said, Calderwood is miles above Bethe Correia, in my opinion.

giphy.gif

Typical wanker OP
When a fighter suffers a loss they were never good to begin with bullshit.

No im not whiteknighting those 2 fighters but this type of fighterbashing is just stupid as every fighter loses eventually.

Ahh fuck mma fans....worse fans in all sports.

Rant over.

Well she had a lot of hype being an Olympian and since Rousey is advertised as a judo Olympian some people expect that out of everyone. Just really goes to show you Rousey is a pretty special fighter. Too bad everyone else in wmma is a few levels below her except possibly cyborg who she won't fight.

Fair enough. She hasn't been living up to the expectations, really. So in that sense you could call her overhyped. It's just when I read a thread like this, the way it's worded, I kinda get a "she sucks lol, so overhyped" vibe out of it. That might be me interpretating it wrongly.

I would even state that she looks like she doesnt wanna be in the cage...

Typical wanker OP
When a fighter suffers a loss they were never good to begin with bullshit.

No im not whiteknighting those 2 fighters but this type of fighterbashing is just stupid as every fighter loses eventually.

Ahh fuck mma fans....worse fans in all sports.

Rant over.

Would you be so kind as to point out even one excellent MMA performance by McMann?

There has been volumes of hype and speculation about her and really not much in the way of actual performance to give credibility to any of it.

Not really bashing to look into all the nonsense that went into backing a fighter who's entire highlight reel consists of her being finished by her opponents.

FFS, sherdog. Learn!.... leeeeeeeeearn. Evolve!

People win, lose, go on streaks, and live lives. Sometimes life gets in the way of training. Sometimes people lose their focus. Other times they gain focus in too many directions at once. Sometimes everything clicks. Other times it never clicks again.

Neither McMann nor Calderwood are overrated. Both have opportunities to fix holes and improve. Neither is guaranteed to do so.

Well said.

Sherdog has a few smart people like you and the rest are fucking retards.

Calderwood lol....never seen her win a fight and shes considered one of if not THE best striker in wmma.

Wmma lol

yet as you get closer to a sherdog blue belt,you've yet to write one decent post.

its fail all round then,eh ?

Well she had a lot of hype being an Olympian and since Rousey is advertised as a judo Olympian some people expect that out of everyone. Just really goes to show you Rousey is a pretty special fighter. Too bad everyone else in wmma is a few levels below her except possibly cyborg who she won't fight.

People often make the mistake of thinking all Olympic medals are the same. The UFC put it in their marketing (which is an obvious no brainer) and the media took that and ran with it running medalist vs medalist story lines.

Women's Judo is much, much, much deeper than women's wrestling both in terms of history as an Olympic sport and as a developed and organized competitive sport on the international level.

It's not much different between the differences in competition between the middle divisions of amateur wrestling and the super heavy weight divisions. Just differences in talent pool and population demographics.

Rousey came from the equivalent of the MLB of amateur women's combat sports. McMann basically came from a AAA farm league. That doesn't mean she sucks or isn't an elite grappler.

A better distinction would be that McMann came from an elite grappling background and Rousey came from a world class grappling background.

bahahahha! From his original Mcmann thread...

I dont care about her beating rousey, at this point I want to see that fine body in motion. Am I crazy or does she look bigger than most 135 men in the ufc?

Look at her neck! Mai god!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back