Wow how over hyped and over rated was Mcmann and Calderwood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybernetics

Green Belt
Reaction score
I mean both have fanbases that have every excuse in the book. But how did the MMA world get these two so wrong?

NO Mcmann is not "having a hard time putting it together."

She got beat standing. Beat in wrestling. and beat in grappling all in TWO minutes. That has nothing to do with putting it together.

Only the Calderwood fans have more excuses.

Typical wanker OP
When a fighter suffers a loss they were never good to begin with bullshit.

No im not whiteknighting those 2 fighters but this type of fighterbashing is just stupid as every fighter loses eventually.

Ahh fuck mma fans....worse fans in all sports.

Rant over.

FFS, sherdog. Learn!.... leeeeeeeeearn. Evolve!

People win, lose, go on streaks, and live lives. Sometimes life gets in the way of training. Sometimes people lose their focus. Other times they gain focus in too many directions at once. Sometimes everything clicks. Other times it never clicks again.

Neither McMann nor Calderwood are overrated. Both have opportunities to fix holes and improve. Neither is guaranteed to do so.

Well, predictions for McMann were rather lofty based on her wrestling pedigree. After seeing her in action, seems like those predictions may have been higher than reality. I guess that qualifies as overrating her.

It's not the first time this has happened. An olympic medal is nothing to sneeze at, and people were right to expect pretty big things.

Townsend Saunders had a similar background in the early UFCs, and didn't accomplish a whole lot in MMA. And he's not the only one to have a stellar pedigree in one martial art and then not get a whole lot done in MMA. Ishii, Yoshida, Schilt, etc...

Especially with something like wrestling, presumption should be good results in MMA, even more so in a division like Women's BW.

Still time for her to improve her game, I suppose. But I kind of feel like she won't be sniffing a title shot in the foreseeable future.

lol I remember back in 2011 McMann was supposedly the one to dethrone Cyborg according to internet forum hype.

I see more calderwood haters than I do fans; and the haters that I see act like they're cool shit. Hating on people who step into a cage to fight is real bad ass yo. You're cool Cybernetics.

Last edited:
McMann is one fight past a majority decission loss against the #2 in the division behind Ronda.

Boy, she must suck...

McMann is one fight past a majority decission loss against the #2 in the division behind Ronda.

Boy, she must suck...

Nobody is saying she sucks, but after she debuted she was hyped to be the one to beat Cyborg, then a year later in 2012 she was supposed going to "easily" destroy Ronda with her Olympic level wrestling lol people are pointing out how she was overhyped, not that she sucks.

Typical wanker OP
When a fighter suffers a loss they were never good to begin with bullshit.

No im not whiteknighting those 2 fighters but this type of fighterbashing is just stupid as every fighter loses eventually.

Ahh fuck Nascar fans....worse fans in all sports.

Rant over.

fixed for u ;)

I see more calderwood haters than I do fans, and the haters that I see act like they're cool shit; hating on people who step into a cage to fight is real bad ass yo.
I don't think most people are actually hating on Calderwood herself but more on her fans who were pretty much claiming she was the best 115lbs fighter out there.

lol I remember back in 2011 McMann was supposedly the one to dethrone Cyborg according to internet forum hype.

The big mistake is looking to equate womens Olympic wrestling achievements with mens, mens wrestling has a very deep field, womens wrestling is a minority sport that's only been in the Olympics for a decade mostly in the name of equality(not that I'm against that).

The same isn't true of womens Judo though that's not nearly so far behind mens in talent pool, hence Rousey having a MUCH stronger talent base than McMann.

Nobody is saying she sucks, but after she debuted she was hyped to be the one to beat Cyborg, then a year later in 2012 she was supposed going to "easily" destroy Ronda with her Olympic level wrestling lol people are pointing out how she was overhyped, not that she sucks.

Fair enough. She hasn't been living up to the expectations, really. So in that sense you could call her overhyped. It's just when I read a thread like this, the way it's worded, I kinda get a "she sucks lol, so overhyped" vibe out of it. That might be me interpretating it wrongly.

bro, fans like you need to just go away for real. All fighters are to be respected and any fighter who makes it to the UFC deserves to be hyped up. Sick of these weird fans who are quick to shit on contenders after a loss, champions after they lose etc. In your mind MMA must be a battlefield of like 3 "legit" fighters surrounded by "cans".
It's a similar type of person that obsesses with the management rather than the fighters, the UFC rather than MMA, and i truly can tell you have had zero fighting experience in your life due to your attitude. Overhyped, fuck outta here bro go watch badminton or something.

I see more calderwood haters than I do fans, and the haters that I see act like they're cool shit; hating on people who step into a cage to fight is real bad ass yo.
How dare we discuss mma fighters on a mma board...yo

I mean both have fanbases that have every excuse in the book. But how did the MMA world get these two so wrong?

NO Mcmann is not "having a hard time putting it together."

She got beat standing. Beat in wrestling. and beat in grappling all in TWO minutes. That has nothing to do with putting it together.

Only the Calderwood fans have more excuses.

latest

Calderwood I can see the overrating, though the hype seems to dying with each mediocre performance she has. But does McMann even have any fans? I thought her hype died long ago when she was strangled by Miesha Tate.

There overrated but have my respect for stepping in the octagon and fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back