Wow, even Dana was looking past Gus...

He did the same thing to Evans, he must have said five times in one press conference that Hendo was next for Jones before he fought Rashad. A reporter even asked him about it and then he did it again in the same press conference.

The worst part is that he then tries to put his beliefs on everyone else by saying 'no one expected Gustafsson to do this to Jones' blah blah blah.

Plenty of people thought Gustafsson was going do what he did.

He's done this for a lot of fights. Very often he'll say instead of "and so'n'so will get the winner of anderson/opponent or Jones/opponent" he'll instead say "and then so'n'so will fight anderson or jones"

he's done that for anderson and jones quite a few times and GSP too. Even though I knew he was a very long shot it particularly annoyed me when he did it for Jones/Chael because here he was trying to sell Chael as a legit threat and yet saying "and cormier may be next for jones" or "guss will probably be next for jones"

not once did he say "next for whoever wins this fight" or anything like that

I've noticed he tends to do this with Jones. He obviously holds him high regard...Or maybe he's just the same as a large proportion of Sherdog who though "Jones by hellbows into oblivion rd 1 Her de der"
Either way he wont be overlooking Gus anymore.

Makes him look really dumb now. He's a promoter ffs, so at least before the fight he should try to sell it as a worthy matchup and a competitive fight, not a JBJ walkover. I used to be a fan of Dana's for a long time but now I start to realize how dumb and unprofessional he is.

the only people who thought the fight would happen the way it did were Jones haters and Gus' training partners.

true story

the only people who thought the fight would happen the way it did were Jones haters and Gus' training partners.

true story

Dont confuse true stories with an opinion pulled from your asshole

true story

This sounds like a fanboi response, true story. There were plenty of people who thought Gus was a serious threat. I thought he would give Jones a decent match. If I had known he had such improved TDD, I would have said the match was a toss up but I definitely did not have that hindsight myself.

Regardless of all the stuff Jones said about striking, I never gave him a chance against Gus on his feet.

Both fighters shocked me that night.

Well obviously Dana was right.

In the words of Dom Torretto: "whether you win by an inch or a mile, winnings, winning."

Back