wow do I like watching Japanese grapplers

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Just watched some Megumi Fuji and TK Kosaka matches at ADCC and, damn, do I like their styles. When I think of some of my favourite grapplers (Sakuraba, Sudo, Sato) I think about how unrelentingly offensive-minded they are. You never know what they're going to do.

Then I think about my own style of grappling (BJJ)... and I'm exactly the kind of grappler I'd hate to watch. Advance in increments, don't make mistakes, let the opponent make mistakes, sit in a good position and just make your opponent uncomfortable.

Awesome video! Actually, videos would make this thread awesome. Here are some more:

Minoru:

[YT]8TkDperXfQ0[/YT]

Sato (shit his ankle picks are slick!):

[YT]1EXqyw8Xx1E[/YT]

[YT]JlsT5a0rtsg[/YT]

[YT]iX6PNzsCetA[/YT]

[YT]2bgplW4FZxo[/YT]

[YT]HWHZ-I646vU[/YT]

Last edited:
Imanari vs. Sato:

[YT]79vBhjAyvgY[/YT]

Last edited:
Rumina Sato, in his prime, is probably the most exciting grappler in MMA history. Had he retired around 2006, when he should have? I think he'd be considered more of a legend than he is.

Hideo Tokoro, as far as I'm concerned, has had the best fights in MMA. If MMA bouts were rated 5 stars like Pro Wrestling? He'd probably have the most 5* bouts. I suggest getting his DVD, incredible stuff. Unfortunately, he's never had much of a chin or fight IQ. But, those are also some of the reason's he's so fucking entertaining. He's a very good grappler.

Rumina Sato, in his prime, is probably the most exciting grappler in MMA history. Had he retired around 2006, when he should have? I think he'd be considered more of a legend than he is.

Hideo Tokoro, as far as I'm concerned, has had the best fights in MMA. If MMA bouts were rated 5 stars like Pro Wrestling? He'd probably have the most 5* bouts. I suggest getting his DVD, incredible stuff. Unfortunately, he's never had much of a chin or fight IQ. But, those are also some of the reason's he's so fucking entertaining. He's a very good grappler.

Great call! [YT]S0SNfoPv7_E[/YT]

I've always wondered what the backstory was to his match with Royce. Anyone know how they came to be matched against each other?

Last edited:
Making a HL of Tokoro is cheating. He is too exciting.

Great call! [YT]S0SNfoPv7_E[/YT]

I've always wondered what the backstory was to his match with Royce. Anyone know how they came to be matched against each other?

To show the world that Tokoro > Royce Gracie, as proven by their fight. The only man other than Sakuraba to hold wins over Royler and Royce. Gracie Hunter Jr.

I wondered if their were any deeper politics at play. You know how the japanese love seeing their guys pound out Royce.

Tokoro was a big upcoming name after beating Pequeno. That's about all my knowledge on why it may have happened. Tokoro is also a boss, and doesn't give a fuck.

I give you Takefumi Hanai
[Yt]mbjANPP143w[/MEDIA]

I give you Takefumi Hanai
[Yt]mbjANPP143w[/MEDIA]

Holy shit, this guy's amazing! That flying thing he did at 1:34 is awesome!

I don't know why I think that guy who inverted-guard hopped towards his opponent on his shoulders is ridiculous but I think this guy's (and Imanari's) flying inverted guard to leg attacks is frickin' amazing.

Holy shit, this guy's amazing! That flying thing he did at 1:34 is awesome!

I don't know why I think that guy who inverted-guard hopped towards his opponent on his shoulders is ridiculous but I think this guy's (and Imanari's) flying inverted guard to leg attacks is frickin' amazing.

Because flipping upside down and attacking the legs is a BOSS move. Scooting on your neck is just asking to be sprawled on like a chump. :D Plus, it's not really a guard they're using... think of them more as inverted shots.

P.S. If you've never tried an iminari roll or that flippy/flying dealio that hanai does... do it! It's super fun! Be careful how you do the second one though...I could see possibilities of accidentally landing wrong and hyperextending their knee. I've only done that like once and felt uneasy doing it in the gym.

Back