Wouldn't gastelum be better off at bellator?

There's no way in hell Gastelum could make 155...

4/20 is tomorrow, save the smoking till then

He's super tough, and a really good fighter but he's just lazy with his diet. He'd rather eat like shit and fight at 185, getting his brain smashed to bits by better and bigger guys.

I can get behind this scenario...Gastelum is soooo much better than his recent record indicates. He's has just consistently come out on the wrong side of "fight of the Night" bouts and very close losses against the most elite fighters in the world (well maybe not in this last one)...

For a few years at least. No disrespect to him at all. I think he's one of the best, but at the moment, there's no route to the title and he's fought almost everyone now. If he goes to bellator, barring gegard, I don't see ANYONE giving him trouble. He could become a fucking dictator at 185 AND earn that sponsorship money. At ufc, he'll always be a contender who never makes it to the finish line. And as bellator keeps building its roster, it'll just make him look more legit there.

Gas belongs in the UFC PERIOD....However, at 170...I think his problem is that he has to be more disciplined . He is such a natural fighter that he can go up to 185 as the small guy and still wobble opponents or KO them every fight and make it a decision fight due to his Iron chin and constant pressure and power. Reminds me of a small Dan Henderson. The guy is a beast!!

I wish he would go down but he is not getting younger. He is 29 though but turning 30 this year..he should do it now...he has time left...I been a fan of his since TUF. Humble cool dude.

He keeps getting sooo close. He is one tough SOB. Seems like he beats anyone but the top 2 or 3.

Gas belongs in the UFC PERIOD....However, at 170...I think his problem is that he has to be more disciplined . He is such a natural fighter that he can go up to 185 as the small guy and still wobble opponents or KO them every fight and make it a decision fight due to his Iron chin and constant pressure and power. Reminds me of a small Dan Henderson. The guy is a beast!!

I wish he would go down but he is not getting younger. He is 29 though but turning 30 this year..he should do it now...he has time left...I been a fan of his since TUF. Humble cool dude.
Dude why stay in the ufc, if he'll never be champ? You think he'll magically beat izzy or rob? Plus the ufc keeps hoardinf talent and using them as gatekeepers. As far as I'm concerned he's done enough, he's got nothing left to prove in the ufc. All he'll amount to is a gatekeeper at this point. Many fighters are better off moving away from the ufc, eg curtis blaydes (no path to title, as long as francis and lewis are there), ryan hall, kevin lee if he loses, marlon etc.

He was always overhyped. Most of the hype came from beating fighters past their prime and he was lucky Bisping took the fight on 2 weeks notice

Nah. He's a small guy. 155 is his optimal weight. But he just does not have the table discipline or impulse control to manage it. He's never had it. Even when he was wrestling in college, it was outside his optimal weight. And he did Ok anyway.

1232344678.0.jpg

This is Whittaker and Gastelum. And bear in mind Whittaker fought at 170.
He could do 170 if he wanted and that's probably his best weight class, he'd have to change his lifestyle and hire a nutritionist. Similar to what Aldo did to get to 135. I think he just doesn't want to.
shrug

If actually diets he can, he always has this bloated look fighting at MW.

I am going off memory which may be wrong. But, when he was on TUF, there was this interview with him that I watched and he was in a finance situation with himself or his mom. The result was, that he was living at home or helping his mom at home. So, after him explaining that, he talked about moms cooking. That he liked food. That it was a weakness of his.

Well, I didn't think much about it until over the years in following him. He just looked like he could lose more pounds at weigh ins. I know some people are built with less definition so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. However, after missing weight a couple times due to looking too fat. He didn't look like someone who could not make it. He looked like someone who does not like making weight. I add that to what he said in TUF and figured he is eating some good Mexican food lol. I like Mexican food myself. I like good southern food in the US and Mexican food. My two kinds.

My wife is from Chile.....my mother in law will make you fat if you live with her...When we would visit, there is no way I would skip her meals. We are talking about generations of home made cooking that you cant find in any recipe books but thats been passed down from word to word from mom to mom. At least thats what I like to think when I am eating her food lol. She was up here with us 2 years ago for like over a month...Man...her cooking...So I can relate to GAS...but man he can make more money if he was cutting food out and maybe a champ.

Wonder what others think about him at 170? I see him getting the belt. Or at least we think he got robbed. I see him top 3 or champ.

I was also thinking Bellator could also be a good path for him to take.

At 185: Mousasi, Tokov and Vanderford would all beat him. I'm not sure he can beat Costello, Salter, Larkin either, those are 50/50 fights

At 170: Lima, Amosov, Berkhamov, Jackson, Koreshkov would all beat him and I would pick Joey Davis and Storley also against him. A fight against Daley or MVP would be great tho

Dude why stay in the ufc, if he'll never be champ? You think he'll magically beat izzy or rob? Plus the ufc keeps hoardinf talent and using them as gatekeepers. As far as I'm concerned he's done enough, he's got nothing left to prove in the ufc. All he'll amount to is a gatekeeper at this point. Many fighters are better off moving away from the ufc, eg curtis blaydes (no path to title, as long as francis and lewis are there), ryan hall, kevin lee if he loses, marlon etc.

I think he can move to 170. At 170 I think he has a good chance.

If actually diets he can, he always has this bloated look fighting at MW.
This. Gastelum would be the champ at 170lbs by now if he were disciplined enough to cut to 170lbs. He clearly can, but he just likes tacos too much.

Kelvin success at 185 it was mainly because his grappling is usually enough and he is faster than most of his opponents.

At 170 he loses his speed advantage. I see guys like Masvidal boxing him up pretty easily.

He might beat up Colby which would be great to see.

Kelvin success at 185 it was mainly because his grappling is usually enough and he is faster than most of his opponents.

At 170 he loses his speed advantage. I see guys like Masvidal boxing him up pretty easily.

He might beat up Colby which would be great to see.
Colby bullies this fatty.

Back