Would your or have you picked up a hitchhiker?

Alphaboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
upload_2020-11-19_17-49-32.png

Would you ever pick up a hitchhiker?

I've had 3 situations I've been solicited by a hitchhiker. In the first situation my wife and I were at a rest-stop headed from PA to NY. A dude that looked like Marv from Home Alone asked me if he could get a ride just a few exits over. I gave him an uncomfortable smile and regretfully said, "sorry, I don't really know you." He was like "It's alright, I don't wanna make you guys feel uncomfortable."

I like to take calculated risks. If he pulled a gun on me and said, "take the next exit" there's literally nothing I'd be able to do. Since I didn't see an exit strategy if things were to go south, I'd have to decline.

Second situation I was driving by a pier, when an all blonde, European looking family held their thumbs up, when I noticed them they looked at me with urgency by the time we made eye contact it was too late, I passed them. It was weird. Not sure how they would've all fit in my small '92 Nissan Sentra anyway. Tbf, they probably wouldn't have picked me up either.
<Fedor23>

Last scenario was at my campus. A dude who was an athlete was like "hey, I gotta make it to the sports complex. The bus is leaving to the game!" I picked him up and drove him a few minutes down to the bus. This situation was different because it was on a campus in broad daylight, I didn't really see a threat.

Truth be told I probably wouldn't even pick up a lone female.

upload_2020-11-19_18-19-49.png

What about you? Yay or nay?

Nay, I've always been too scared to do that. Too many movies growing up where things like that went wrong. No way. That's how Ted Bundy got his victims you know.

Nope. But a while back a guy was asking for $20 for gas to get home / or work? and when an elderly lady gave it to him, he hopped in his car and burnt off....

I was with my mom at McDonalds. This lady asked me if we could take her to the truck stop up the highway. My mom chewed me out for doing that, the hitchhiker looked a little rough. My mom thought we would get stabbed or something.

A few months later, we saw her, the hitchhiker on the news, it was her photo, she was murdered at a truck stop.

Done it a couple times.

Late teens, early 20's.

Doubt I would these days, however.

I almost did it once, but my warning bells went off and I decided to keep my kidneys.

In this day and age if you are trying to hitchhike it means you are broke. If you are broke, how important can it be for you to get somewhere?

I always pick them up. I would never do it with a gf in the car. 50/50 some are cool and some are ungrateful fucks.

I guess that's the least of your problems but what do you mean, they don't say thanks or something?

Sure have. I think I still have a few bits of her in the freezer, too.

I was with my mom at McDonalds. This lady asked me if we could take her to the truck stop up the highway. My mom chewed me out for doing that, the hitchhiker looked a little rough. My mom thought we would get stabbed or something.

A few months later, we saw her, the hitchhiker on the news, it was her photo, she was murdered at a truck stop.
<escalate99>

In this day and age if you are trying to hitchhike it means you are broke. If you are broke, how important can it be for you to get somewhere?

TIL: Only rich people go places.

Someone who is crazy enough to get into a car with a complete stranger (like me) is too crazy to be trusted with alone in my vehicle.

@Alphaboy, I can't reply directly to posts at the moment

My mom was upset I said we could give her a ride. My mom thought this was dangerous.

It was a separate time months later that she was killed at a truck stop.

Last edited:
I guess that's the least of your problems but what do you mean, they don't say thanks or something?
Some just have that hobo mentality like you owe them shit. I would never give a bum money but have you ever been asked for money and said no then they look at you like you’re a POS. The times I’ve done it I wasn’t looking for a shower of thanks but maybe a little gratitude. One time in particular I gave a dude a ride in KY and after a 15 minute car ride he realized I wasn’t going to give him any money so he called me an asshole n hopped out.

I've picked up hitch hikers before, but I live in a really safe area.

TIL: Only rich people go places.

If you are flat broke standing next to the road it's highly unlikely you are on your way to a business meeting or somewhere else that is important and time sensitive. You are more than likely a homeless person who doesn't want to walk across town.

Pre-cell phone and pre-Uber there were actually normal people that really needed rides somewhere. Today everyone has a cell phone and transportation is everywhere.

Back