Would you watch a TUF with Wonderboy (Karate applicants only) vs. Condit (Traditional MMA Guys)?

AfroSamurai

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
When i say Karate applicants, they all have to have some at least 1-2 mma fights.

JacksonWink vs. The Thompsons family plus Machado and that Canadian Olympic wrestler.

Wonderboy would have to at least as entertaining as Sage.

I'd watch the fights if I was bored.
The show itself is too awful to watch.

That's actually an interesting Idea. Having a martial art vs martial art version of TUF.

But Condit doesn't specialize in a particular area in martial arts so I wouldn't pick him.

It would be interesting to see if they made a TUF Karate vs Muay Thai edition, to see which base is superior. The fighters would feel strongly representing their martial art.

I'd be more inclined to watch this. I haven't watched the last few seasons though.

I guess if I wanted to see a bunch of Karate guys get beat up, so no not really

The guys who are successful coming from a karate base are pretty few and far between. They're awesome to watch, but I'm not convinced it works for any but a few fighters.

Winkeljohn is a 5th degree blackbelt in Kempo

That's an interesting idea, but I think it would be better if it was Wonderboy (Karate guys) vs Maia (BJJ guys).

Karate vs. MMA would be horrible.

Karate vs. WWE superstars would be more fair

The guys who are successful coming from a karate base are pretty few and far between. They're awesome to watch, but I'm not convinced it works for any but a few fighters.
^this. Thompson has what sounds like a pretty deep background in grappling, his grappling (stuffing the takedown) could have contributed to his win as much as his karate did versus Hendricks. Unless it's like James Toney vs Couture or CroCop vs Fujita/Wand/Sakuraba early on, most everyone is a "mixed martial artist".

Ummm...no. Raymond Daniels/Davit Kiria in Glory scratch that incredibly small itch I have to see any real karate guys in combat sports. (Not to discredit Thompson or Machida) The sport just shouldn't be saturated with a background that has a less-than-satisfactory track record.

I dont find Condit interesting at all.

How about Wonderboy vs Lombard.

Karate guys vs Cuban Boxing&Judo savages.

Subtitles for Hector all the way :D

Agree with this. As much as I love the whole karate thing, there have only been a handful of Karate fighter's to really make an impact.

Wonderboy has been matched up really well in his UFC career (besides the Matt Brown fight, thought that was a little too soon - he still did pretty well in that fight).

A lot of strikers at first and slowly got matched up with the wrestlers, Ellenberger and Hendricks recently.

I like where you head is at, although I'd probably change the premise. Perhaps strikers vs grapplers.

Ummmm, ok... we've seen weights, genders, and even country against country. But, styles ??? How the fuck does that work ? And how the fuck does it matter ? X grappler can beat Y striker, and vice versa. If you're after a title, you are likely to meet them all. Sooner or later, the match-up will not be in your favour...
Unless you are _________.

Gotta be good at striking and grappling in today's mma. Machida also trained Sumo wrestling and Judo at a very young age, he even trains other striking disciplines to augment his karate... Lyoto is the biggest ambassador for karate in mma at the moment and even he is very much a mixed martial artist... pure karate guys with basic grappling skills get wrecked by pure mma guys.

I could see this live at plenty of local mma shows.

Gotta be good at striking and grappling in today's mma. Machida also trained Sumo wrestling and Judo at a very young age, he even trains other striking disciplines to augment his karate... Lyoto is the biggest ambassador for karate in mma at the moment and even he is very much a mixed martial artist... pure karate guys with basic grappling skills get wrecked by pure mma guys.
Lyoto is also a black belt in bjj. I don't think the ts meant that they were strictly karate guys though I think he just meant guys who began with Karate and turned mma.

Team Karate vs. Team MMA

lolwut? MMA includes Karate.

It's funny now MMA becomes 'traditional' while Karate becomes 'unorthodox' when it used to be referred to as part of TMA.

That's an interesting idea, but I think it would be better if it was Wonderboy (Karate guys) vs Maia (BJJ guys).

Now that's more like it. Reminds me of the classic Karate vs. Judo drama in the old school manga/anime.

Back