Would you want to be able to remember your previous incarnation?

Also, this thread is quickly turning into WR type.
Not is bueno.

If we look at the Buddhist school of thought we probably would not.

Ideally our "soul" would be at the point of attaining nirvana. At the highest level of reincarnation as Bodhisattva, I would think that you would retain those memories but maybe not. Even if reborn as a demigod possibly too as there isn't much to accomplish in an afterlife.

I think Siddhartha described our soul being as at different stages of development like a certain plant in a pond (Water lilies I believe) but it basically sprouts from the bottom to the surface and closer gets to the surface at every rebirth and eventually blooms, the closer we are to reaching nirvana (the top of the pond) and would determine were we are reborn.

But for others, the idea of having a recollection of your past could be a blessing or a curse if say, you were reincarnated as an animal, warrior, in one of the seven planes of hell or just as another person.

Again, this is in Buddhist sense, and most people would be fine just understanding it in very simplistic way because they believe any the complexity of what religious backing it might have. I'm on the fence about it as I was raised by atheists and have never had spiritually awakening until I started studying Buddhism, going to temple and what not. Hell, I don't even meditate as much as I should.

But you have to first remember your previous incarnation to know for sure if you buried a treasure in the previous life. Grandfather paradox man.

Do you eat shellfish or crabs?

Why? I eat the Hell out of Maryland blue crabs in season. I also eat the shit out of shrimp. I’m not Hebrew or Muslim, pretty sure that there is 50% pork fat flowing through my bloodstream now.

If we look at the Buddhist school of thought we probably would not.

Ideally our "soul" would be at the point of attaining nirvana. At the highest level of reincarnation as Bodhisattva, I would think that you would retain those memories but maybe not. Even if reborn as a demigod possibly too as there isn't much to accomplish in an afterlife.

I think Siddhartha described our soul being as at different stages of development like a certain plant in a pond (Water lilies I believe) but it basically sprouts from the bottom to the surface and closer gets to the surface at every rebirth and eventually blooms, the closer we are to reaching nirvana (the top of the pond) and would determine were we are reborn.

But for others, the idea of having a recollection of your past could be a blessing or a curse if say, you were reincarnated as an animal, warrior, in one of the seven planes of hell or just as another person.

Again, this is in Buddhist sense, and most people would be fine just understanding it in very simplistic way because they believe any the complexity of what religious backing it might have. I'm on the fence about it as I was raised by atheists and have never had spiritually awakening until I started studying Buddhism, going to temple and what not. Hell, I don't even meditate as much as I should.

Go beat your tambourine someplace else hippie. Cut your hair,take a bath for Christ sake, and get your ass to Mass.

Go beat your tambourine someplace else hippie. Cut your hair,take a bath for Christ sake, and get your ass to Mass.
Love you too bud

Why? I eat the Hell out of Maryland blue crabs in season. I also eat the shit out of shrimp. I’m not Hebrew or Muslim, pretty sure that there is 50% pork fat flowing through my bloodstream now.

Leviticus 11:9-10
9 These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.
10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:

So.. you get to be selective on which part of the bible you believe and follow?

Nothing is created or destroyed it just changes forms.

Leviticus 11:9-10
9 These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.
10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:

Shut up kid....

Peter saw the Heavens open up, and a great sheet with all kinds of animals let down to earth. And Peter heard a voice saying “Rise, Peter, Kill and Eat”. acts 10:11

Peter says “Not So, Lord”, meaning “may it not be”, I have “never” eaten anything which is unclean or common/unholy. Acts 10:14

Then the voice replies Peter saying, “What God has cleansed, do not call common/unholy” Acts 10:15

source.gif

At first that might sound like a fun and interesting possibility but then you start thinking about it. What if I did something bad? What if I did more harm than good? What if I did no good?! Chances are I wasn't extraordinary or someone worth knowing so I would pass, thanks.

Shut up kid....

Peter saw the Heavens open up, and a great sheet with all kinds of animals let down to earth. And Peter heard a voice saying “Rise, Peter, Kill and Eat”. acts 10:11

Peter says “Not So, Lord”, meaning “may it not be”, I have “never” eaten anything which is unclean or common/unholy. Acts 10:14

Then the voice replies Peter saying, “What God has cleansed, do not call common/unholy” Acts 10:15

source.gif

Soo.. contradicting book is contradicting?

Okay, I get it now.

Edit:
Back to what I posted

Soo.. contradicting book is contradicting?

Okay, I get it now.

Edit:
Back to what I posted

You do know the difference between The Old Testament and The New Testament don't you? The difference between our Hebrew brothers and sisters, and Christians? The teachings of God Incarnate (Christ), and the New Covenant?

You do know the difference between The Old Testament and The New Testament don't you? The difference between our Hebrew brothers and sisters, and Christians? The teachings of God Incarnate (Christ), and the New Covenant?

Yep, I know. And most Christians seems to only follow New Testaments. Curious why? Even my friends told me to skip Old Testaments entirely and go to New Testaments straight. Minority even say just go to Revelations. I didn't, I read the entire Bible page 1 to end even though it took me years.

Again, you still haven't answered my first question.
Why can you/someone be selective on which part of the Bible to follow?

But you have to first remember your previous incarnation to know for sure if you buried a treasure in the previous life. Grandfather paradox man.
You're totally right about that. Was a quick response on my part based on a comic I read years ago (uncle scrooge) where people were going to an hypnotist to experience one of their previous incarnations hoping to get some financial interest out of that (and of course a character like Scrooge McDuck will do whatever the hell he can if he can get a few bucks out of it).

I think I would be too scared to take the risk. I have enough things to worry about in this life before pondering exploring my possible earlier lifes.

Yep, I know. And most Christians seems to only follow New Testaments. Curious why? Even my friends told me to skip Old Testaments entirely and go to New Testaments straight. Minority even say just go to Revelations. I didn't, I read the entire Bible page 1 to end even though it took me years.

Again, you still haven't answered my first question.
Why can you/someone be selective on which part of the Bible to follow?
I found a similar situation when I was working in Africa years ago. Most people there are very religious, but they would mostly dismiss most of the old testament and only care about the new one. They even have people handing out new testaments (i got two from my 2 african experiences).
From what i read, I understand "modern" christians to be a product of the marketing of Saint Paul. The guy traveled Europe selling the new religion, but somehow also altering it to fit the mindsets of not-jewish-people. It seemed to me (haven't re-read it ages) that he's the one that dismisses some parts of the textes (later included in the old testament) like the deuteronomy (book of laws) and brings up a way more positive and tolerant way of seeing life.
Might be a stretch, but after reading that little new testament I really got the impression that the founder of christianity was St Paul, and I got of him the image of a talented marketing guy.

It would take a bit of the sting out of death, plus I want to live forever, so absolutely.

It probably would be disastrous because the mental would not be able to cope with those memories. And how long do you go back in terms of lives? the thousands of lives back to the beginning of life itself on earth?

I think reincarnation, if it exists (which is likely), is smartly done so that those memories exist but are not accessible.
What we know as Karma. Buddhism teaches you to be aware of your karma and improve it for the future. I think thats the best option.

You're totally right about that. Was a quick response on my part based on a comic I read years ago (uncle scrooge) where people were going to an hypnotist to experience one of their previous incarnations hoping to get some financial interest out of that (and of course a character like Scrooge McDuck will do whatever the hell he can if he can get a few bucks out of it).

I think I would be too scared to take the risk. I have enough things to worry about in this life before pondering exploring my possible earlier lifes.

I was intrigued enough by comic part you mentioned to google Uncle Scrooge and was surprised it was a Disney comic. Thought it was some dark genre comic. <45>

Unless there is no element of karma to it, I think it should, to a degree, be necessary to.

Otherwise the idea of reincarnation, as a tool to learn and evolve spiritually, doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If a spirit doesn't know why it is suffering (past life misdeeds) it cannot truly learn from the experience. In the case of total and complete amnesia, it's essentially just a system that makes the innocent suffer for the deeds of the unrighteous.

Last edited:
Back