Would you want there to be an afterlife?

giphy.gif

So does the afterlife go on forever or will there be another one after that either sucks more balls or your balls get more sucked or whatever?

The fact that things are unpleasant allows us to perceive pleasant things. Because of this duality our ignorant concept of a christian afterlife seems meaningless.

I'd prefer an afterlife.

If only because the very idea of nothingness terrifies the ever loving shit out of me.

Afterlife? Okay.

Afterlife is kind of stupid, no offense to believers, because it would mean what you did here for 70years amounts to nothing... really. Say you are a good person, does this 70 years of good deeds really equates to you going to Heaven for a trillion years? Say you are a bad person, does 70 years of horrible decisions means it's okay to be condemned for a trillion years?

Seems kind of "unfair" if you think about the numbers. Ratio is whacked.

I had a surgery last year for deviated septum in my nose. I was knocked out for a few hours and when I woke up and realized how those few hours were completely blank and gone from my life, it was an extremely uneasy and scary feeling. It was nothing like normal sleep but much different. Ceasing to exists would fucking suck.

You only realised it sucks because you eventually wakes up. If you don't, you won't have any negative or positive or ANY feeling about what happened. That IS Nothingness.

I'm team Nothingness.

I read on further itt and some are afraid of nothingness. Really don't have to because IF it's really nothingness, there will be no fear, no pride, no consciences.

Afterlife is kind of stupid, no offense to believers, because it would mean what you did here for 70years amounts to nothing... really. Say you are a good person, does this 70 years of good deeds really equates to you going to Heaven for a trillion years? Say you are a bad person, does 70 years of horrible decisions means it's okay to be condemn to a trillion years?

Seems kind of "unfair" if you think about the numbers. Ratio is whacked.

You only realised it sucks because you eventually wakes up. If you don't, you won't have any negative or positive or ANY feeling about what happened. That IS Nothingness.

I'm team Nothingness.

I read on further itt and some are afraid of nothingness. Really don't have to because IF it's really nothingness, there will be no fear, no pride, no consciences.

No, that's not it. I think it sucks because I wouldn't wanna go back to that state. All my memories and experiences wiped out was one of the most uneasy feeling I've ever had. I would hate that to happen. If it was just like sleeping, it would be actually peaceful but it was nothing like sleeping. It was just extremely dark and empty. I can't explain it but the more I thought about it, the more uneasy and scared I felt. Before that point, I never really was scared to die. I really hope that is not how we end. I have hope it'll be better than that whatever it is. Nobody knows really, we can all make bold claims. We'll see what happens, until then we can just be good to others and hope for the best.

I'd prefer an afterlife.

If only because the very idea of nothingness terrifies the ever loving shit out of me.

Having experienced nothingness for a few hours, I can attest to it. It is extremely scary.

What's wrong with ceasing to exist? You are born, you live and then you die and that's it, it is the cycle of life and death waits for no living thing.

Being in an eternal sleep so to speak is exactly that a sleep forever we would have no consciousness and no understanding so how bad can it really be? Worry more about how you die and the impact it leave on loved one rather than being dead.

I think it's a common misconception that the fear of dying is rooted in the fear of the "experience" of being dead, which obviously can't co-exist with non-existence.

The fear of dying is the fear of losing what you value, namely life, and it's a fear that usually accompanies the experience of being alive. This also marks the crucial difference between how one feels about his impending death vs. how he feels about the time before his birth. Only one of those is approaching fast and threatening to take his life away.

To answer the OP, of course I'd like there to be a life after this one. Non-existence is terrifying if only because it's inconceivable.

However afterlives and even eternal lives come with their own philosophical baggage as well.

@SherdogGoat
I have had my wisdom tooth removed on two occasions. Since they were fully paid for, I chose general anesthesia instead of local. Both took slightly lesser than 1hr and I do agree it's different from sleeping. But I have a totally different take when I woke up compared to you. I didn't feel uneasy for the empty moment, I just know I'm out of a surgery.

I'm not saying we should be a crappy person because I don't believe in afterlife. If anything, we should be a even better person BECAUSE there isn't one as it makes our 70 or so years here that much more meaningful.

EDIT:
As you mentioned, no one can comprehend how it goes for afterlife or if there is one. I will say the exact same for living "forever". After 1000 years, I don't think a "good" person will continue to help an old lady cross the road.

@SherdogGoat
I have had my wisdom tooth removed on two occasions. Since they were fully paid for, I chose general anesthesia instead of local. Both took slightly lesser than 1hr and I do agree it's different from sleeping. But I have a totally different take when I woke up compared to you. I didn't feel uneasy for the empty moment, I just know I'm out of a surgery.

I'm not saying we should be a crappy person because I don't believe in afterlife. If anything, we should be a even better person BECAUSE there isn't one as it makes our 70 or so years here that much more meaningful.

I am glad you didn't have the same experience as me and that you are at ease. I wish I hadn't gone through it because before that I took nothingness kind of like general sleep which isn't bad at all. I now, avoid thinking about it and this thread is making me think about it again arghh.

Way to go you goof(TS). You stared another thread that has been discussed and talked about a billion times here on Sherdog. At least, its not in the UFC forum where you get some hipster who says "I respect the fighter but keep religion out of the thread". Or my favorite, "LOL, he is thanking God for kicking somebody's ass."

this thread is making me think about it again arghh.

Last quote from me and it's to tell you to abandon this thread since it's uneasy. There are a couple of threads made by the Pigeon dude to troll/contribute ^^

In all honesty I cannot imagine an afterlife world/place/state - you name it. I would like to retain possibility of eating food, drinking, having sex, playing games, posting on sherdog and so on. But this kind of stuff is made by humans for humans. The idea of afterlife is where people dont have to work. But how can you have all these best games, food, mma fights without humans?

Everything we got today, cars, clothes, electricity, food, games its a human creation. Someone can argue that if it wasn't God creating human we wouldn't have any of these. Yes I agree. But it does not change the fact that all this is a human creation. And I am also 100% positive that even if there is an afterlife, it is not reflecting in tiny bit what we got over here on earth. Simple as.

Someone else can argue that I am using logic that could be falsely interpreted in the God's afterlife. Maybe.

But I am a human. And I am using human logic. God even if exists, cannot punish humans for something they cannot understand. Same like dimension where God exists and where there is no time. God live outside of time. How on earth an adult healthy brain can process such information to understand it? How God can live outside of time? First day he created this, 2nd day he created that, 3rd that he created something else...That is timeline isn't it? Bible describes a TIMELINE. Explain that.

Another example. All scientists saying "time started with a big bang". And the big bang started around 30000 billion years ago (thats not correct number, but for the purpose of this example I made up random number). So now my question why it was 30000 billion years ago, and not 56000 billion years ago or even 9400000. Why such specific number? This is where scientists starts to scratching their heads without an answer.

Last edited:
Would you want there to be an afterlife? Let's pick the Christian version since it's what we're most knowledgeable about.

If you're a good person, you go to Heaven.

If you're a piece of shit, you go to Hell.

Would you prefer this over ceasing to exist after dying?

Yes. An eternity in Heaven would be greater than anything anyone could even possibly begin to imagine.

It is what it is, Homie!

You don't wanna roll with God on Earth, why would He wanna roll with you in His home!?

So all the native Americans, all the aboriginal people in Australia......just for example... hundreds and thousands of years ago, who never heard of Jesus burned in hell for eternity? Burned in hell, because they didn't know who Jesus was? That sounds very fair and reasonable. Exactly what a just god would do.

Back