Would you want everyone at your work to make the same amount of money?

Bornstarch

Holy Paladin
@Brown
Reaction score
If you were given the option, would you want everyone at your work to make the same? Everyone would make manager money, nobody makes a penny more.

At my job pay is determined by job role. Everyone in the same role gets the same pay unless you have seniority.

No because then why would anyone want to be the manager or have any advanced roles that bring more stress or take more time if they aren't being compensated for it? You would just have a workplace full of slackers and the people with actually good work ethics would either burn-out to become slackers themselves or just leave.

If employment in this sort of clown show was guaranteed for life (ie, can't get fired and somehow this place doesn't go under from mismanagement) then yeah absolutely I'd take that so that I could slack off all day and collect a decent paycheck to do nothing so that I could dedicate my time and energy towards hobbies instead but that isn't how things work.

When I was covering a reception the other day, a colleague asked me if the janitor came along to clean under the desk. I pretended I had forgotten, just can't do it. He earns less than I do, and my job is far from physical. I couldn't do it. He's probably 20 years older than me and I doubt it's his dream job.

Well no, there's no reason to have ambition that way. Plus people in sales etc aren't being rewarded for what they bring in.

Fuck no, some people suck at their job or do the bare minimum, I dont think they should be rewarded for doing subpar work or doing less than everyone else.
Boss woman and colleague rarely even answer the phone, it's funny. So lazy, I know it's mainly Indian call centre sales calls but if it isn't busy it helps pass the time of day. And quite a few people are pleasant. They just let the calls ring out depending on the building it bounces somewhere else. Silly.

edit also previous empoyees who got laid off trying to get 401K info and stuff.

When I was covering a reception the other day, a colleague asked me if the janitor came along to clean under the desk. I pretended I had forgotten, just can't do it. He earns less than I do, and my job is far from physical. I couldn't do it. He's probably 20 years older than me and I doubt it's his dream job.

Was he asking to clean under the desk you were sitting at? ;)

Couldn't do what?

That wouldn't make any sense. So that means someone who was at the company for 10 years would make the same as a new hire?

so does this mean you want the same amount of responses as a thread by a more coherent, intelligent co worker?

Was he asking to clean under the desk you were sitting at? ;)
No, but if head of security had that as an extra activity my day would go a damned sight quicker and I would recommend his salary be doubled. I swear he's trying to fatten me up for Thanksgiving. He keeps coming and feeding me, haha.

As long as I get to also sandbag my output to the level of the lowest producing employee. Taking away the pay structure takes away my incentive to work harder for the extra pay.

No, but if head of security had that as an extra activity my day would go a damned sight quicker and I would recommend his salary be doubled. I swear he's trying to fatten me up for Thanksgiving. He keeps coming and feeding me, haha.

He's wise in the ways of women.

I'm assuming you are referring something similar to UBI, that is heavily debated very recently.

I don't like it. As many have mentioned above. It will probably breed laziness in people and make it worse for people that are unmotivated in the first place.

Lazy people should earn pennies, while hardworking people should earn more. That's it.

Back