Would you vote to legalize marijuana?

Care to elaborate?

Its just become such a huge presence here. There are literally more dispensaries than there are Starbucks. Google that, its true. Which means there are a lot of pot stores. A lot. Like they're everywhere. This alone is not a huge issue, but typically you'll have the riff-raff associated with smoking weed that accompany the myriad pot stores. Yes, I'm generalizing, but let's please not fucking kid ourselves here about who smokes weed and who doesn't.

Then you have the grow houses, which smell and have sketchy ass security personnel, and fucking shade balls regularly raiding the dumpsters. You also have drug-cartel involvement in the in the Colorado pot industry now. This is starting to surface and we'll see where it goes. But the cartels are not just gonna let the rug get pulled out from underneath them in a state that consumes a lot of pot.

Then you have the enormous presence of open consumption, which is now de-facto legal. People smoke weed in the open everywhere. Vape pens are a normal part of city life. Again, on its own I don't really care.

Oh, and my neighbors have openly potted marijuana plants out back - along with someone who now lives in a camper on their property. I have a two year old daughter. Yeah, something about it bothers the fuck out of me.

Then you have the public reputation of the city as basically ground zero for dope culture - literally in the world. Ok, so we have drug tourists. Meh.

Along with that comes the constant media attention paid to the issue. House pets are now eating pot-edibles and going to the ER. It makes the news. Kids getting into parents pot cookies, and the shit showing up in school. It makes the news. A condominium explodes because someone was legally cooking hash oil in the kitchen, it makes the news. The other day the news reported on a guy who came down from Wyoming as a pot tourist, overdosed, and jumped from a balcony and killed himself. Well, one less. Etc etc etc. It goes on and on.

Any one issue isn't a huge deal. But in aggregate, it has just become more of a nuisance than anything. I come from a background where a lot of my friends got into hard drug use, so I'm no tight ass about this stuff. But I'm a father to a little girl now. And frankly pot heads can just go fuck themselves - generally.

People here are talking about "yayyy more freedom." To do what? Get fucking high? Great, good for you. In my view though, I'd rather not be bothered with all this bullshit so you can run around getting stoned easier.

Of course, I do recognize the other side of the issue. Increased revenue statewide. And potentially harming cartel activity in this State - although that appears to be shifting.

Each state that makes it legal stands to make 500 million+ every year in taxes and saved time from worthless arrests.The only people who don't want it legalized must have a part in the system that profits from such BS.

First sentence is entirely valid and I agree. Second sentence is ridiculous. I don't mind legalization per se, and in fact in theory I think most drugs should be "legal." But let's measure it against the affects. Maybe we could change a few things about the fact and process of legalization to make it a bit less of an issue.

Last edited:
I can certainly see where you're coming from, but I think most of the issues you describe are because people have poor self control (no different than an alcoholic), aren't responsible, or people like the Wyoming guy who probably don't regularly smoke and go overboard, and also because it's "new".

Responsible people don't leave a loaded gun or pills where a child or animal could get them. It's probably only a matter of time before something happens to these people or their kids/animals.
I don't think it's right to blame the drug when it's really a lack of responsiblity. If consumed and stored responsibly, it's not dangerous, less harmful than booze/cigarettes, etc. It's ridiculous to have a criminal record for possessing pot.

I don't necessairly care if a parents get high if their kids are in someone elses care (just like drinking), say a sleepover at grandparents or friends or something, but it's pretty irresponsible to keep edibles in a house with kids. Nobody would put a pitcher of spiked fruit punch in the fridge where your kids could think it's just juice, but somehow they didn't think twice about keeping edibles around kids/animals. That's bad parenting, not the drugs fault.

I also think where it starts to get dangerous is the edibles and the drinks, especially with people who are inexperienced and start taking more because they aren't high after 30 minutes. It's incredibly easy to have way too much.

As for smoking in public, I'm on the fence. We typically turn the other way when somebody is drinking something out of a paper bag. We all know it's booze, and unless the person is so drunk that they are a danger to themselves or others cops aren't writing tickets, so it's tough to have a problem with the vape pens. They really don't smell, looks like an e-cig, so you could get away with telling your kid it's an e-cig. You should absolutely get a ticket for smoking a huge joint, or a pipe/bong in public.

Its just become such a huge presence here. There are literally more dispensaries than there are Starbucks. Google that, its true. Which means there are a lot of pot stores. A lot. Like they're everywhere. This alone is not a huge issue, but typically you'll have the riff-raff associated with smoking weed that accompany the myriad pot stores. Yes, I'm generalizing, but let's please not fucking kid ourselves here about who smokes weed and who doesn't.

Then you have the grow houses, which smell and have sketchy ass security personnel, and fucking shade balls regularly raiding the dumpsters. You also have drug-cartel involvement in the in the Colorado pot industry now. This is starting to surface and we'll see where it goes. But the cartels are not just gonna let the rug get pulled out from underneath them in a state that consumes a lot of pot.

Then you have the enormous presence of open consumption, which is now de-facto legal. People smoke weed in the open everywhere. Vape pens are a normal part of city life. Again, on its own I don't really care.

Oh, and my neighbors have openly potted marijuana plants out back - along with someone who now lives in a camper on their property. I have a two year old daughter. Yeah, something about it bothers the fuck out of me.

Then you have the public reputation of the city as basically ground zero for dope culture - literally in the world. Ok, so we have drug tourists. Meh.

Along with that comes the constant media attention paid to the issue. House pets are now eating pot-edibles and going to the ER. It makes the news. Kids getting into parents pot cookies, and the shit showing up in school. It makes the news. A condominium explodes because someone was legally cooking hash oil in the kitchen, it makes the news. The other day the news reported on a guy who came down from Wyoming as a pot tourist, overdosed, and jumped from a balcony and killed himself. Well, one less. Etc etc etc. It goes on and on.

Any one issue isn't a huge deal. But in aggregate, it has just become more of a nuisance than anything. I come from a background where a lot of my friends got into hard drug use, so I'm no tight ass about this stuff. But I'm a father to a little girl now. And frankly pot heads can just go fuck themselves - generally.

People here are talking about "yayyy more freedom." To do what? Get fucking high? Great, good for you. In my view though, I'd rather not be bothered with all this bullshit so you can run around getting stoned easier.

Of course, I do recognize the other side of the issue. Increased revenue statewide. And potentially harming cartel activity in this State - although that appears to be shifting.

First sentence is entirely valid and I agree. Second sentence is ridiculous. I don't mind legalization per se, and in fact in theory I think most drugs should be "legal." But let's measure it against the affects. Maybe we could change a few things about the fact and process of legalization to make it a bit less of an issue.

Millions made in tax since it was made legal in Colorado, created more jobs for the state, and crime has went DOWN.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/8...ing-marijuana-here-s-what-colorado-looks-like

Hell yes

Prior to smoking for the first time i thought the idea of it was lame and thought i'd never do it again but it made me super relaxed, and it let me get the best sleep ever

And it made food taste better lol

Do you think if it's legal everyone is going to become a pothead? You probably regularly encounter high people and have no idea they are high. If people want to smoke pot, they are going to smoke pot. It's not exactly hard to find, even in places where it's illegal.

Most regular users stop because of a personal choice to do so, not because of the law.

And encountering a stoned person isn't exactly horrible. They are laughing and eating doritoes. So annoying!

No, but I'm fine with it having to be something that is done in private and don't want to have it out in the open and part of society. The thoughts of weed-culture invading into anywhere is not something I welcome, as we are seeing in Colorado, its becoming mainstream which somewhere where I personally don't want to see it.

I think it's easy to tell when someone is high. It has a very obvious effect on someone's eyes. It might be hard if you are meeting them for the first time, but if its someone who are familiar with and you then see them high, its fairly clear.

Intoxicated people are annoying to be around, regardless of the substance, in my opinion.

Yes. I haven't smoked in a many years. I dont think the government should b telling me what to do.

I enjoyed reading this. Thanks for posting.

Two sides of the same arse :)

No. It's not. Drinking is so much more likely to be the causal factor in whether or not someone breaks the law and goes to jail, it's not even comparable. I don't even smoke weed. I drink. I'm just sayin'.

I don't smoke. Never did. Had plenty of friends in college that got high pretty much daily. I have no issue with it and think it should be legal.

As long as it's like alcohol where you can't legally imbibe in public.

Marijuana is a soft drug. Heroin, cocaine etc should still be illegal for obvious reasons. People ruin their lives over that shit.

People will ruin their lives over it regardless of its legality. Better to focus your efforts on treatment for people who want to get better rather than attempt to police a complete ban of it (something our governments, at both a federal and state level, have shown they're unable to do effectively.)

I know I certainly wouldn't start using cocaine or heroin if it was legal.

Yes. Illegal due to ignorance and greed.

Never smoked pot in my life, but would vote to legalize it in a second.

Yes, I would. It basically is legal here but yeah. It should be legal for every state.

To me, it really doesn't matter whether or not weed is legal. What matters is if professional jobs will still be able to discriminate based on THC content.

Back