Would you teach BJJ for free

People value what they have to sacrifice for. Giving something away makes it feel worthless to most.

There is some truth to this.

In Guatemala, we actually have to charge for our medical clinics that we do down there to give away medication and help people. They won't come if it's free. They think that if it is free, it must be worth nothing.

Some we charge a very modest amount and give the money back to a local charity that directly impacts those people.

Would teach part time at my current gym for free.

There is a difference between teaching for free, and not charging and paying the bills out of pocket.

I think it would be a mistake to not charge, chances are you'd have empty classes with a very high turnover rate and few committed students. Plus, you would have no help, no employees means you are there all the time. That's a lot more work then just teaching classes, and makes it hard to get away.

If I didn't need the money I might not draw a salary, but I'd still charge a fair rate to cover costs, and hopefully some other staff.

But there needs to be value attached, a free class will be seen as having no value. You might be able to get that through other means for some (ex, disadvantaged folks qualifying for tuition, which has a dollar value attached to it, even if it isn't being paid)

My judo coach and the coach of my coach both gave their times to teach for "free", when i put into quotes is because they asked for blood and tears, and they did it just for love to the art.

I would simply charge the casuals and give special benefits to those who show special talent and dedication.

This post makes the most sense to me.

Because those talented guys who show promise and will come in every day gladly giving their all[blood and sweat] to match their promise, most often train for free anyway. Because you know their going to be a star and it is not a waist of time. I am sure every academy has one or two of these who carry the hopes of all in that academy.

Teach for free otherwise? Never! You loose the value, you loose the standard. Those that I spoke of in the paragraph above, pay their way with the weight of expectation and responsibility.

CashBill, who commented earlier that he pays to teach, in that he is paying academy dues and teaches on top of that. That may be, but I see that as doing an internship right now, and would bet, when he reaches BB his generosity will continue. But I am sure he would agree, that to charge the casuals[whom it is easily affordable for] and give special benefits to those who show special talent and dedication, is an appropriate scale.

I teach for free, but its more of a senior guy service. I teach the occasional class at my gym and help anyone that has questions, make time to show them stuff. I also run the bjj club at my work. In a perfect world it would be great to run a free school. However I think there is something to be said for the art being passed on to those willing to make sacrifices.

I'd teach for a low costs to cover utilities, but they way I'd do it is to run it like a normal school, you go sign up pay month by month and then depending on your effort and dedication lower the price to a small fraction, again to cover utilities. for example u start by paying $120, then I see you're coming in every day and helping out for 6-8mo, I'd pull you aside and cut your dues to say to 25-$50 (depending on how many people I have at this price; more people less money) and a contract that says you can't disclose the actual amount you pay (to keep the really interested coming). And say you got to a purple, I'd give your the option to go in for free in exchange for one of your days to teach instead of train.

Just my thoughts.

-Hezig-

My instructor is in this situation, however, he wouldn't share the viewpoint about being judged for his actions.

He just tells me that as long as I progress every time, if I stay committed, he'll stay committed.

I'm the only one that has lasted more than 4 months, so basically, you would train the people that have the heart to do so, and practice, which would only be, well in this case, one person, the rest filtering off after a few months.

As far as help people that are very distracted? Well if they aren't training, or looking up to you enough to put some heart into it, they probably have a bigger fish to fry, and need, perhaps, something else in their life.

Yes you could give them crutches, but ultimately, it is about walking on your own right?

I guess it comes down, more so, to the amount of time and energy you are willing to invest, and also, your understanding, and outlook on life.

Ah, after reading a comment, yes, I pay with blood and tears.

No way dude, If I was a millionaire and a badass I'd have fun and get laid all the time. Travel the world. Accomplish all my dreams.

BTW, to the guy who was talking about setting up a foundation, the idea of giving free/ cheap jits instruction is cool and all, but why the fuck would battered women be interested in BJJ? I know some girls train and all, but that's a very small % (we only have 1 or 2 girls in any given class I go to).

I would pay some BJJ to fly in and work for me.

Requirements:
Teach in local schools for free 2 classes
Train at my local HQ 2 times for week.

I do teach it free in my spare time. I think it's ridiculous what most academies charge. When I first started, it was $40/month all you could roll. Now many academies are $125/month and up for 3-4 nights a week.

Unfortunately my spare time is minimal due to my family and job but I do teach it for free at home in my garage. It's more of a supplemental training for those that come as many of them train elsewhere.

I think instead of setting up a free academy I would set up a non-profit competition promotion. I think its pretty crazy that we have to pay $70-$80 just to roll in a competitive setting. I think if an organization would only charge what it costs to cover costs the amount of participants would skyrocket and be much more competitive.

You have to charge a fee to keep the freeloaders, douchebags, meatheads, rednecks white trash, thugs, etc....out of your gym

You should charge 5 bucks a head - if someone cant pay tell them you will pay them 5 dollars to sweep the mats after class- use any extra money to buy equipment.

If you were a BJJ black belt and you were also a Millionaire...meaning you had more money than you could spend. Would you teach people BJJ for free or would you still charge?

I personally would buy a building and set it up for teaching BJJ. I then would teach BJJ for free to anyone, especially our youth, who is willing to work hard and give back to the community.

Hey you only live once and we are being judged for our actions in this life time.

That's actually interesting because my uncle said if he won the lottery he would open an all purpose dojo and let people train there as long as they were serious about it.

The more that I think about this, the more that I realize I already sort of do it.

I bought the mats to fill my basement, so we could roll here once a week rather than traveling long distance for every class (cleared with instructor).

Teaching is a very satisfying experience. I'm nowhere near the level where I could do it for money with a clean conscience, but I've enjoyed teaching a few people some stuff for free from time to time.

Not in a PROFESSOR AN END FOR'S DOJO COMY LEARNY JIU JITSU WITH ME OSS way. I would love if, someday, I could teach jiu jitsu to people who could really benefit from it in a way bigger than just getting buff and getting their ears ruined. I love the idea of a not-for-profit competition promotion that crochuck gave. It's bad for the sport to charge so much for a tournament where you can win amazing prizes such as budget gis and cheap bags of maltodextrine. Some people are making a huge profit out of it.

Because you know their going to be a star and it is not a waist of time. I am sure every academy has one or two of these who carry the hopes of all in that academy.

Not necesarily they need to become a star, they could just be really really dedicated and with no talent, they can still be shaped into monsters if they are willing to take the kind of abuse and hard training that its needed.

When i said blood and tears i meant literally.

Teach for free otherwise? Never! You loose the value, you loose the standard. Those that I spoke of in the paragraph above, pay their way with the weight of expectation and responsibility.

Not really, when you charge blood and tears, you can be certain that everyone in your dojo is a ruthless spartan instead of a rich boy paying $125 dollars a month.

To put it bluntly.

You can't yell, hit, throw things at, and insult a paying customer. Since grappling is such a hard sport, its hard to push someone to their limits without doing as such.

This is a martial art, meaning an art of war, and the training should be done hard, just like soldiers.

As nice as it may sound to hand out free BJJ lessons, consider a few things:

1. Free BJJ will likely attract a LOT of students; as in, too many to reasonably give personal instruction during classes.

2. You would get a LOT of non-committed trainees. Payment is a hurdle that keeps out the people that aren't serious about the art. How can you build unity with so many people coming in and out randomly?

3. You would crowd out other instructors from your area. By creating a free gym, you make BJJ instruction an impossible career for others in the area.

This is exactly right. People value what they earn (or by extension, what they pay for w/ their earnings), and it is also a bad idea to depress the industry earnings by providing free service.

That said, We've run our academy basically as a non-profit for the last few years, with no coaches taking any pay, no owners drawing any dividends, all the dues going back into the club to build it up, always trying to stay on top. equipment & mat-wise.

Not that I idolize the non-profit. I'm a staunch capitalist, and I believe that nothing assures quality for the consumer as effectively as the profit motive!:icon_chee

Back