Would you teach BJJ for free

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by teamcarvalho, Jul 28, 2010.

1. teamcarvalho

teamcarvalho Green Belt

If you were a BJJ black belt and you were also a Millionaire...meaning you had more money than you could spend. Would you teach people BJJ for free or would you still charge?

I personally would buy a building and set it up for teaching BJJ. I then would teach BJJ for free to anyone, especially our youth, who is willing to work hard and give back to the community.

Hey you only live once and we are being judged for our actions in this life time.

2. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

If I had the facilities and the time to do such a thing, yes I would.

3. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

No, I would still charge a reasonable price for lessons just to cover my costs and make the operation sustainable, that way it could last even after I'm gone. Maybe organize my academy as a non-profit.

I would probably try to offer free or discounted self defense and BJJ lessons to disadvantaged segements of the population like battered women and troubled youth, too.

4. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs Orange Belt

This.

5. Hamsterdam

Hamsterdam Orange Belt

Definitely. I'd set up a foundation.

6. hustles

hustles Green Belt

If I didn't have to work for the rest of my life and had enough money to do whatever I want, it would be great to set up some kind of non-profit facility to teach bjj .....

Never gonna happen for me though, I'll be working hard to provide for myself and my family into my 70's I am sure.

7. Davii

Davii Blue Belt

Teaching BJJ and making it available to everyone is tough work for a single person. Meaning, you'd probably want your purple belts or whatever to help out from time to time and hire some administrative staff if it gets that big.

It is more than just throwing down a mat and rolling around.

So yeah, a non profit would be perfect where you could hire people - paying them a reasonable salary.

8. Cronk

Cronk White Belt

As nice as it may sound to hand out free BJJ lessons, consider a few things:

1. Free BJJ will likely attract a LOT of students; as in, too many to reasonably give personal instruction during classes.

2. You would get a LOT of non-committed trainees. Payment is a hurdle that keeps out the people that aren't serious about the art. How can you build unity with so many people coming in and out randomly?

3. You would crowd out other instructors from your area. By creating a free gym, you make BJJ instruction an impossible career for others in the area.

9. akharon

akharon Blue Belt

People value what they have to sacrifice for. Giving something away makes it feel worthless to most.

10. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

If I was a BJJ BB millionnaire, I would do something similar to what the sheik is already doing in AD.

11. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

I teach for free once and a while. I offer private lessons for auctions and fund raisers.

I pay my monthly dues and still teach a class occasionally. So, I actually pay to teach.

I teach a 5 week beginner's class for kids(2x per week). $10 per class.

I am currently working with a "disadvantaged" kid for free.

So, yes, I would teach for free. If I hit the lottery, I would donate my time, energy, and money to teach.

Foundation FTW!

[v]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/--zDyLGQYGk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/--zDyLGQYGk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[v/]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  12. noXtransitory**

noXtransitory** Green Belt

I might charge the first few lessons just to see how serious the people were about it. I don't want people coming in if they aren't commited.

13. 2om30

2om30 Red Belt

yes i would...

14. HEAVY GRAPPLER

HEAVY GRAPPLER Brown Belt

I have this daydream about setting up sort of an institute of jiu jitsu.

There is a beautiful little seaside town near here that has a 200-year-old church rec hall for sale. They used to hang people there before the church bought it. Anyways, this same town has some of the highest obesity rates in the country.

My daydream is to turn it into a sort of church of jiu jitsu where residents train free and the world's best players are brought in to coach and enjoy the locale. In such a small place, the positive impact of the jiu jitsu lifestyle would be easily measurable.

It's just my silly "if I won the lottery" dream.

15. peytonlucy

peytonlucy Silver Belt

Have them pay something. People don't respect free.

16. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

I should clarify. I would teach jiu jitsu to the disadvantaged for free. Maybe a sliding scale of some kind. If you have the means to pay, then you should pay.

17. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

My judo coach and the coach of my coach both gave their times to teach for "free", when i put into quotes is because they asked for blood and tears, and they did it just for love to the art.

I would simply charge the casuals and give special benefits to those who show special talent and dedication.

18. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

I would do something similar. I would teach for free, but I would be very selective in my students because I could afford to be. Not sure the criteria...

19. J Sho

J Sho Green Belt

I think some people may be assuming that a non profit org is run so that it just covers its costs and that they aren't structured to make a profit - this isn't the case it is just what they (are permitted to) do with the surplus/profit is different to a for profit org.

20. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

Exactly.

Set it up as a non-profit that will be sustainable even after you are gone. That is the best gift you can give to the community.

Ironically, the hardest part about creating a club is letting go of it once you move on. It has to be allowed to exist even without you, even if that means it goes in a different direction.

I built up a grappling club in college and worked hard to make it stable. It has been three years now since I left, and it has since gone in a different direction than I would have imagined. However, I am still proud because at least I established something that will give people a chance to learn good martial arts that did not exist before. That's probably the best impact I could have possibly had.