Would you support a court system ran by Artificial Intelligence

No, the human brain is far more complex than any current attempt at AI and probably will continue to be for quite some time. Understanding nuance and emotion is extremely complicated. It's largely intuitive for us, so it may seem simple or easy, but it's not.

An AI does not think like a computer of the present. It will not just be a machine, it will be something vastly more intelligent than us and be able to comprehend anything that humans could and be able to understand things that humans are not able to with our limited intelligence.

The bottom line is more innocent people will be free instead of being locked up in prison.

They will solve these complex social issues because they are exponentially more intelligent than humans. Any expert on AI will tell you this. Not only that, but they will solve every problem known to man. The AI you are imagining is that of a robot form the 1960s.

Get back to me when this happens in 500 years... Or never, which is more likely

Last edited:
Societies are not static, and a just society governed by AI isn't necessarily an equal one. This doesn't mean I completely oppose the use of AI to help the betterment of our rule of law but a human touch is still necessary no matter what century we're in.

Possible
But it would be very conservative if it only went by the letter of the law
Might lead to butthurt

Which is why I'd be all for it.

And Liberals (the Loony ones) would be screaming bloody murder. <Lmaoo>

Nope. There are mitigating circumstances to lots of crimes and there's a good reason that sentences can be set from like 2 yrs to 15 and so on. Not always a good thing, but certainly in some cases it is. A judge can be lenient on someone who was clearly guilty of committing a crime, but there is a lot more to the story and such a system would not acknowledge that.

This is like the first version of The Punisher who would kneecap people for jaywalking.

How about an AI for Sentencing instead?

There have been cases that Men and Women comitted the same crime but the Men get a bigger sentence than the woman.

The AI would just look at its databanks, see how much the Man got and give the same to the Woman.

EQUALITY!!!

The End.

If you're talking about AI as it currently exists It'd only be as good as the programming, which is just as capable of including ideological bias.

There's some good exploration of the idea HERE.

If you're talking about AI as it currently exists It'd only be as good as the programming, which is just as capable of including ideological bias.

There's some good exploration of the idea HERE.
Nope sorry learning to code is racist sexist kkk

Nope sorry learning to code is racist sexist kkk

I can tell you now, there's plenty of identity politics involved in software development. UI especially. PACT analysis, user personas, user stories, concrete scenarios etc etc.
If you don't actively design for the diversity of the user base, you'll certainly find out about it in testing.

I can tell you now, there's plenty of identity politics involved in software development. UI especially. PACT analysis, user personas, user stories, concrete scenarios etc etc.
If you don't actively design for the diversity of the user base, you'll certainly find out about it in testing.

True AI would be self aware. If an AI is programmed a certain way, then it wouldn't be true AI, it'd just be a program.

I want to say no, but, then I remember how shitty people are.

Fuck no!

That's a retarded idea if I've ever heard one.

True AI would be self aware. If an AI is programmed a certain way, then it wouldn't be true AI, it'd just be a program.

That's not what AI means when it's used in relation to actual technology we have and which is being applied to all sorts of systems (including legal) today.
Mostly it's just used as a broader term for systems incorporating machine learning.
Why would self-awareness be essential for a justice system?

I’d prefer if we just let judges do their job and be held accountable. I’m not a big fan of mandatory sentencing guidelines.

If they suck, don’t re-elect them. Lord knows that stories about people who got either too hard or too lenient of a sentence are quite popular and can be directly attributed to the judge.

People still can't seem to grasp that machines will do a better job than humans at literally everything. If they don't now, they will in the future.

I suspect that AI is going to be used to strongly supplement performance of the mundane and routine, but eminently corruptible tasks and fields: law, governance, healthcare; things that are necessary but that are beneath the creative and irrational capacity of the human mind.

Back