Would you still want to see a Mayweather/Pacquiao fight?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by takestwototango, Sep 27, 2013.

1. takestwototango

takestwototango Banned Banned

I suppose it depends in what will transpire in the Pacquiao/Rios fight. And for whatever reason you have for wanting to see this fight or not.

I'm just curious if the majority of the people on here will still want to see a fight with Mayweather/Pacquiao before these two retire.

A simple yes or no will suffice.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  2. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

I'd watch it but people would just shit on Floyd for that fight. It won't happen.

3. JayElectra

JayElectra Paper Belt Banned

Unless Pacquiao struggles with Rios, I don't know who wouldn't want to see it. Of course, making the fight is much easier said that done.

4. MiCavalier

MiCavalier fake rich Platinum Member

Even though it's too late to be the superfight with the historical impact it was planned to be, I still think it would be fun to watch. It may even still be competitive. Maybe not. But I would like to see it. I'd rather see it too late than never see it at all.

5. consortium11

consortium11 Slip The Jab

I made the cardinal sin of voting yes before reading the O.P.

Regardless of what happens against Rios?

If Pac looks terrible, his speed, power and intensity gone, he gets backed onto the ropes, can't escape and beaten up for four rounds before brutally being knocked out, would anyone really then want to see him vs Mayweather?

Roy Jones Jr vs Calzaghe was a pretty intriguing bout when Calzaghe was the kingpin at 168lbs and Jones was the P4P No.1 at 175lbs. But was anyone really interested in their actual bout? One boxer, although past his best was still at the top of his field while the other had clearly faded and been brutally stopped a few times.

Likewise, the Hopkins/Jones Jr rematch was a big deal when Hopkins ruled 160lbs and Jones was tearing up 168 and 175lbs. Yet did anyone care about their rematch when it happened?

If Pac is awful and loses against Rios I can't see there being much interest in the bout beyond Mayweather fanboys wanting to have "definitive proof" that Mayweather is better.

That said I fully expect Manny to win and win well and considering that I struggle to see how anyone isn't interested. Manny may not be quite what he was a few years ago and the gloss has certainly come off the bout with his losses but it's still an interesting and exciting bout to make.

6. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

If Pac struggles with Rios, he needs to hang em up.

7. ironfist05

ironfist05 Silver Belt

maybe, depends on how Pac does vs Rios

8. surgeyou1

surgeyou1 Welcome to the Machida Era...Part Deux

How many buys would it get at this point? Will it even beat the Canelo fight?

9. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

EVEN beat the Canelo fight? That fight broke records.

10. consortium11

consortium11 Slip The Jab

As with almost everything to do with this topic, it very much depends on how Pac looks against Rios.

If he struggles and looks poor then I doubt it sells well (or at least, well by the standards we expect). People will see it as a cynical marketing exercise, a shot Pac against a still in form Mayweather.

If Pac looks good however, boxing circles around Rios, shredding his face with blindingly fast combinations and stopping the iron-chinned brawler... especially if it's a brutal stoppage, the hype will start again. People will talk about how controversial the Bradley bout was (and no doubt there's a few leg cramps style excuses out there), they'll point out how Manny was winning the Marquez bout and looking like the Pacquiao of old until he got a little too wild, they'll point out that while Mayweather and Marquez are both counter punchers Mayweather prefers to pot-shot compared to Marquez's more aggressive counters and that Marquez took 36+ rounds to eventually land that punch on Manny while Mayweather will only have 12 rounds to work him out.

And it will sell damn well. Perhaps not as well as it would have done a few years back but still damn well.

11. LogicalInsanity

LogicalInsanity Free RR! Belt Yellow Card

As a long time Pacquiao fan since his appearance on the undercard of the Lewis/Tyson fight (anyone remember that?) he has to really look good against Rios...

he looked less than spectacular against Bradley (despite winning IMO), he looked lack luster in his dominance over Mosley, and we all saw the JMM fight...

If he barely wins, or eeks out a bull shit UD or MD or loses, he needs to hang him up..

Mayweather is on the top of his game and doesn't look like he has missed a step....the same can't be said about Pacquiao..

The last thing anyone here wants to see, is Mayweather outbox, out point and utterly humiliate a past his prime Pacquiao.

12. Wanderlei4Life

Wanderlei4Life Red Belt

This is still the biggest fight to be made if Pac destroys Rios.

Breaks the Oscar vs PBF 2.6

13. TrueBias

TrueBias Silver Belt

That would be the only one at this weight class. I've not been into boxing since roy jones jr and never into the littler weight classes. The Klitchkos have muddied up the HW division having me losing total interest in boxing. When mayweather and pacman got so popular that I heard about boxing again, I tried watching. Its just too dull to me. Sure there is technicality and art but you can have both. I'm still dumbfounded that pacman got kod but other than that, I've seen none. Therefore, after this Last fight, I won't be watching another dance fest ever again. Only highlights which I'll get for free.

Gave it a college try.

14. S Class

S Class Brown Belt

I want to see the fight. I doubt it'll happen though. Too much drama. I wish there was some way to force May and Pac to fight each other.

15. mozfonky

mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

I really do expect him to be fine, I don't think this'll be a case like Donald Curry losing to Honeyghan and turning instantly mediocre. Pac's been through the heartaches before so I think he'll be fine. Also, he has looked good in all of his fights, just not as good as he did against delahoya. He was putting up his best fight since DLH in the marquez fight. All of that said, we just won't know until he fights again. I would love to see a Mayweather fight but I wouldn't pic Pac at this point, the Pac who fought Delahoya I would, but not now, it's still a great matchup, just not as great.

16. RedDevil4-life

RedDevil4-life Brown Belt

Pac may be coming off a loss but his style is the style that would give Mayweather problems. I've always said it would be a southpaw that would beat Mayweather. Pac has the handspeed,aggression, he's got decent footwork, odd timing, good cardio and he throws lazers. Styles make fights and Zab Judah gave May fits until he faded half way through the fight with his skill set. Mayweather would probably beat him but he would definately not look pretty in the process as I see him taking alot more damage than he's used to taking. As for Manny's next fight I expect him to destroy Rios, im thinking mid fight stoppage maybe 5th or 6th round.

17. mozfonky

mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

5 years ago it would have been a very stern test for mayweather. People talk about Mayweathers defense but as Evander Holyfield said about Mayweather, that if a guys throwing as many punches as Manny does, some of them are going to get through. Manny had freakish speed and intensity, that could have trumped anything Mayweather had to offer. Now? I think Mayweather is a much smarter fighter than Pacquiao and would take a decision. If it ever does happen, it'll be anticlimatic compared to what could have been. Imagine Joe Frazier and Ali waiting until after Foreman slaughtered Frazier to see them fight, that's what it would be like, two old, past their peak guys fighting. Sugar Ray/Hagler wasn't the fight it could have been either. It's bound to happen when a guy doesn't want to fight, one or both will lose if they sit around too long, just the nature of the game.

18. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

Its easy to throw a million punches when you're fighting a shot Margarito or Josh Clottey who stands there like a statue.

19. Fresh Burek

Fresh Burek Black Belt

I think he looked better in the last JMM fight than he has in years. Not counting the KO obviously, but shit happens, he got caught.

Anyways, to the poll, yes.

20. JuanSmaqaho

JuanSmaqaho Purple Belt

Yes, just to watch Floyd outclass Manny to either a one sided decision or stoppage late in the fight.