Would you say Jones best wins are DC and Gus or..

You are confusing name value and ability at the time of the fight. Gus 1 is a better win for Jones, because that version of Gus who almost beat Jones would have been the favorite in physical reality vs the fighters you listed ahead him. It wasn't a fluke performance, he is the only fighter besides Jones (and only clean fighter period) who has ever given a DC a close fight as well. Jones and DC are by far two of the best LHWs ever and we have a guy who arguably beat both in their primes, yet you list all those fighters ahead him just because they have more name value.

Sonnen has beaten Wand and Rampage, but it doesn't make them his best wins. Context matters, a lot.

I will give you an example of real objectivity. I have been for years the biggest Gus nuthugger on this forum, and at the same time Jones happens to be the fighter I hate most, this was already the case in 2013. I still didn't score Jones vs Gus 1 for Gus, even when I could have easily done so in such a close fight, because I just personally didn't see Gus winning 3 rounds. Didn't matter it was my favorite fighter against a fighter I hated most, basically in a coin flip 50/50 fight. That's real objectivity.

I don't think that version of Gus would beat the Machida Jones beat or the Shogun Jones beat. Gus in his prime hardly looked impressive against a wrecked Shogun. I think prime Shogun murks him. I think he did amazingly well against Jones in the first fight but that doesn't mean because he almost equalled prime Jones in 1 fight that he automatically beats everyone Jones wrecked. It means he matched up well with Jones and had a great night/Jones had an off night.

Sonnen beat Wand and Rampage way past their best. Jones beat the guys I listed either in their prime or just as they started to fade and it wasn't apparent at the time.

I think Jones' best wins when you look back on his career will be DC, Shogun, Machida and Rashad based on his domination and the status of the opponent at the time.

Jones' best win in terms of overcoming adversity is unquestionably Gus. Gus never beat enough top guys to say he would beat prime Rashad, Shogun, Machida, etc. It's hard to say.

1. Cormier
2. Gus
3. Rashad
4. Machida
5. Rua
6. Badger
7. Glover
8. Rampage

Then maybe Smith?
I'd move Gus down below machida and Rua.
I might also flip machida and rashad.
Good list.

3-2 vs DC is hardly destroying him. The next fight was a NC, should actually be a loss when people piss for roids instead of NC's. How come fighters get DQ'd for illegal strikes but not for roiding?? Makes no sense.

Jon Jones best wins are:

Daniel Cormier
Daniel Cormier
Alexander Gustafsson
Alexander Gustafsson
Lyoto Machida
Ryan Bader
Rampage Jackson
Rashad Evans
Glover Texeria
Shogun Rua
Vitor Belfort
Chael Sonnen
Anthony Smith
OSP
Brandon Vera
Stephan Bonnar
Matt Hammill
Vladimir Matyushenko

and that aint even all his wins in the UFC

in other words he is the GOAT

DC, Lyoto Machida, Shogun and Ryan Bader are better wins than Gustafsson.
Maybe Machida, but Bader and Shogun, absolutely not. Bader was for years far below the big 4 of Jones/DC/Rumble/Gus. No one seriously took him as a contender. Bader being this top guy narrative has been created off of him beating Bellator LHWs and HWs who are not that good.

But really, beating DC is the biggest win of his career by far. Beating DC is the best win anyone in MMA history has ever had.

DC, Lyoto Machida, Shogun and Ryan Bader are better wins than Gustafsson.
I'd add Rashad and rampage to that too. Gus would've got destroyed back in 2011 against those 2 imo. Plus, they were 2 former champs.

I don't think that version of Gus would beat the Machida Jones beat or the Shogun Jones beat. Gus in his prime hardly looked impressive against a wrecked Shogun. I think prime Shogun murks him. I think he did amazingly well against Jones in the first fight but that doesn't mean because he almost equalled prime Jones in 1 fight that he automatically beats everyone Jones wrecked. It means he matched up well with Jones and had a great night/Jones had an off night.

Sonnen beat Wand and Rampage way past their best. Jones beat the guys I listed either in their prime or just as they started to fade and it wasn't apparent at the time.

I think Jones' best wins when you look back on his career will be DC, Shogun, Machida and Rashad based on his domination and the status of the opponent at the time.

Jones' best win in terms of overcoming adversity is unquestionably Gus. Gus never beat enough top guys to say he would beat prime Rashad, Shogun, Machida, etc. It's hard to say.
In short, Agreed.

I always felt DC was one decent shot away from winning

Jones has never been hurt before in his career. His chin is one of the most underrated parts of his game. Everyone thinks if they could just get by his superb defence they could KO him (which they're banking on as they won't win a decision) but he's ate shots like they were nothing.

If Gus and Bader fought a few years back Gus easily beats him. People that claim Bader would win are clueless. Sure maybe Bader would win that fight today, but back in Gus's day? Nope.

The only person who's really shutdown Bader is Jon Jones. All of his other losses are him making a stupid mistake and his opponent capitalizing on it.

He's always been one of the best in the world, who simply has made dumb mistakes that cost him being at the top (though he rightfully deserved multiple title shots but DC kept shafting him). He could've beat Gus.

Back