Would you rather see Jones vs. DC or Jones vs. Gus II next?

DC. Both jones and Gus are young. I'm afraid that Cormier might have a BJ Penn moment of getting really old between fights

The most common answers you'll get are

Henderson is Cormier's only real win in the division and that's fucked up.

Who did Gus beat? Rua?

The guy who lost to Hendo twice. Hendo, being tossed around by DC like it was nothing. I know MMA-math is stupid en Hendo was post-trt, but still. DC deserves it like a mofo. Also, after last fights, Manuwa and Texeira, I see Jones winning it more easy than first time 'round. Gus should beat one or two more guys IMO. DC won 9 fights straight under Zuffa Banner, without ever being close to defeat.

Unless you're one of the people who thinks wins in a higher weight division count for nothing, which baffles me.

I am.

He earned his title shot at Heavy weight, and he turned it down.

That's his own fucking fault. He got offered Cain, and he said, "No."

Now he has to rack up wins at LHW for a shot, as his punishment.

And let's be honest, beating Hendo doesn't really prove much at this point in his career.

I am.

He earned his title shot at Heavy weight, and he turned it down.

That's his own fucking fault. He got offered Cain, and he said, "No."

Now he has to rack up wins at LHW for a shot, as his punishment.

And let's be honest, beating Hendo doesn't really prove much at this point in his career.

I agree with the last sentence, it's about as impressive as beating Shogun and more impressive than a win over Manuwa.

The rest is retarded imo. Surely if a guy can make a lower weight successfully, wins in a higher weight class are even more impressive and speak volumes about his skills. The one argument I can see is that a fighter should have to prove he can fight effectively with the cut. The idea that they're practically back to square one is stupid, gotta prove themselves all over again, that's silly.

Jone-Gus II first. I think it's only fair to give Gus another chance at the title first before JBJ moves on to fight DC

I'm a big fan of DC, he's a great fighter, but beating a 44 year old fighter (in 3 months he'll be this age) that no longer has his testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) who has looked horrible lately and was just finished a couple fights ago (by Vitor) tells us next to nothing about DC. Not to mention that Cormier heavily outweighed him and Hendo was only like 199 lbs. Hendo is not only VERY old but he's very slow, always has been but even more so now, and he's extremely predictable and one-dimensional. Henderson was also getting beaten up by Shogun before he landed a hard punch that broke Shogun's nose badly and dropped him in his last fight. Hendo is far, far removed from his best days as a fighter. He looked absolutely horrible against DC, was tossed around and controlled, but was still able to catch DC in a crucifix momentarily and escape some bad positions on the bottom.

With that said, I believe that DC will need to improve a lot more (with his offensive and defensive striking + footwork) before he'll really be a hard match-up for Jones or Gus. His short limbs don't help and he'll have a huge reach deficit against the both of them. I can see them picking him apart from the outside and a guy like Gus using his footwork and moving around a hell of a lot to avoid getting clinched up and taken down (though I'm sure this will happen eventually). IMO DC beats Jones easier than he does Gus but I'd still favor Gus to beat DC at the moment when they fight. Gus' footwork, striking, speed, power, cardio and size (reach + length) can certainly pose some problems for Cormier.

To answer the thread question, undoubtedly Jones-Gus II. DC will fight the winner for sure and Jon and Alex DO have some unfinished business to tend to. Too many people (myself included) scored it for Gus and believe that Jones actually lost that fight or scored it as a draw even though he got the nod.

He'll beat em both in time don't stress my man

Gus

How does beating someone a guy is a 10 to 1 favorite over get some people so hyped up that they wouldn't want to see a rematch of one of the best title fights ever first? DC gets a title shot after Cummings and Hendo and somehow that still isn't good enough, the shot should come before Gus who took Jon to the brink and KOed Manuwa? And even regardless of paths and who deserves what, I simply don't get how anyone would want to chance ruining the rematch. If DC did beat Jones (which I assume anyone who wants to see him fight first thinks he will) then Jon/Gus 2 doesn't happen. And could be years away depending on who gets automatic rematches and who beats who after if Jones were to lose to DC and might not even be for a belt. All because some people don't want to wait until after they fight to give DC his shot? I don't get it

Last edited:
I agree with the last sentence, it's about as impressive as beating Shogun and more impressive than a win over Manuwa.

The rest is retarded imo. Surely if a guy can make a lower weight successfully, wins in a higher weight class are even more impressive and speak volumes about his skills. The one argument I can see is that a fighter should have to prove he can fight effectively with the cut. The idea that they're practically back to square one is stupid, gotta prove themselves all over again, that's silly.
Beating Hendo is more impressive than beating Manuwa? Basically getting kind of lucky against Rua (a guy at the stage in his career that Chael pulled guard and submitted him) is the only reason after last night that Hendo isn't 0-5 in his last 5 fights and he also is off the TRT now, is 44, and came in pretty undersized.

Manuwa was undefeated with all finishes and ranked 11th when Gus fought him. Granted his two biggest wins were Jimmo and Kingsburry but the guy is a beast and would destroy Hendo IMO in a head-to-head match-up at this stage in their careers. Unless just going by name-recognition, I don't see how Hendo is a bigger win.

im so torn... the more i think about it, from an objective perspective cormier deserves it.

damn, i'll go with gusto tho, just because he deserves to prove that he is the better fighter after losing a crap decision.

Obviously Alex is more deserving. The only reason he fought Manuwa in the first place was because Lil Nog pulled out (again) and DC didn't want to fight him in Europe (Alex had no problems fighting him in the states though).

To have someone leapfrog a guy he basically ducked would be friggin silly.

Jones vs Gus II can't wait for that fight it's gonna be fireworks

Gus. I want to see DC in one more fight before he goes against Gus.

Jones/DC by a long shot. I can't wait for DC to get his hands on Jones. I am so curious as to whether he will be able to throw Jones around like he has everyone else - and I'm thinking he can.....

Jones vs DC

Would love to see Jones wreck the DC wagon/train
both but yeah agree with this.
i want to see Jones destroy DC hype train and derail him to gatekeeper status.

Daniel "Hype Train Derail" Cormier

Gus

How does beating someone a guy is a 10 to 1 favorite over get some people so hyped up that they wouldn't want to see a rematch of one of the best title fights ever first?

To be fair, Hendo was that big of an underdog because Cormier is considered that good, not because Hendo would have been that big of an dog against many fighters at LHW.

Back