Would you prefer open scoring?

shankmcgank

Beep/Boop/Bop
@Black
Reaction score
Question is the thread title.

For those who don't know, open scoring is when the judges scorecards are displayed between rounds, so everyone knows what the scorecards are at. The judges round scores would be posted on the screens around the arena for the fighters and fans to see.

Would this make bad judges be more liable to be replaced? I think the crowd (when we get them back) reacting to a piss poor round score, might put enough pressure on the athletic commission to replace some of these horrible judges.

Do you think this would make fights more exciting? I do, the losing fighter will know he's losing and will hopefully go out hard for a finish.

Invicta FC rolled out open scoring in March 2020, and:

"With open-scoring being used Friday night, both fighters knew how the judges scored the previous five minutes of action within 30 seconds of the horn signifying the end of each round. Many of the fighters, trainers and judges that ESPN spoke with throughout the Invicta FC card praised the new system." - Mar 7, 2020

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/28854870/invicta-fc-debuts-open-scoring-called-step-mma-world

What pros and cons do you see with open scoring versus the system that MMA uses now?

Would you support open scoring, or do you prefer the system that's already in place?

bzqcufyccaai__a.0.jpg
(GSP vs Hendricks scorecard)

Eh, it's scotch tape over the hole in the bucket. It might give a better chance for fighters to not suffer the surprise of an awful scorecard, but that's a symptomatic treatment.

The same shit scores will still be shitty, we'll just have a heads-up on how shitty they're going to be. The judges are still gonna suck because they're not trained well enough and commissions aren't going to be replacing judges because there's zero accountability.

Yeah it would be better for the fighters and the fans. I don’t think it will change the abysmal judging or the repercussions for abysmal judging, but it’s a step.

I feel it will benefit the sport, people are worried about fighters coasting when they know they are winning, but that also let's the other fighter know they are losing and most likely will be trying to finish the fight.

I feel it will add a better strategic/tactical dynamic to the fights. No more guessing after every round, and as a fighter/corner/coach you can properly asses each round and properly game plan for the next rounds. No more thinking if you lost or won the round, you will actually know if you lost or won the round. A lot of close fights might have ended up with completely different results with open scoring.

yes, open scoring is better so people will know who the terrible judges really are and hopefully get rid of the really terrible ones

Open scoring is ok but I'd still rather they change the whole scoring system and score fights as a whole. Round by round is fine to show who is ahead but with the idea that someone can do something dramatic to make up for closely scored rounds and still win in the end.

I hate it. It puts scores in fighters' mindsets. It implies fighters should be trying to win rounds in stead of finishing their opponent. I think it'd increase the number of decisions fairly significantly.

I hate it. It puts scores in fighters' mindsets. It implies fighters should be trying to win rounds in stead of finishing their opponent. I think it'd increase the number of decisions fairly significantly.

I know it's a small sample size but the two events that had open scoring this weekend had an 80% finish rate.

No, its a dumb idea by dumb people who thought their guy would have a better chance if he knew the score. It will increase amount of third round coasting, it helps virtually nothing.

No, its a dumb idea by dumb people who thought their guy would have a better chance if he knew the score. It will increase amount of third round coasting, it helps virtually nothing.

Have you seen any events with it dude? I thought that too but it hasn't been the case really.

I don't like it. I don't see how it would make judges more accountable etc, we can all see the scorecards after the fight anyway, it's never been a secret. But what happens when one guy gets triggered in the middle of the fight, because he doesn't agree with the score, or one guy decides to run away because he's ahead. It also takes away the suspense of the result of a close fight being announced, which is a big part, especially in close title fights, like max Vs volk 2, or Conor Diaz rematch etc. Imo it just creates problems but doesn't add anything meaningfull.

Would rather they remove rounds and judges just say who won

Yes, I enjoy watching Invicta for that reason. It’s better to know if the robbery is in effect early than after the fight is over.

With fans in attendance it would be harder to screw fighters over with live scoring. Because the fans would be giving it to the judges while a fight is still ongoing. Holding them somewhat accountable.

Yes, definitely.

Missouri use open scoring, so all Invicta cards and some LFA cards, and I really like it.

It's Kansas btw, they crossed the border when they moved to the Fight Church and yes it seems to work fine.

Back