Would you like to see MMA in Olympics?

For unknown fighters it could bring some good future push, and some countries pay good money for olympic medals. But true, if they get seriously injured for a long time, it´s completely shit deal.

This means the only competitors you'd get will be fighters with absolutely no professional future in MMA.

Next time your local show has amateur fights, imagine that for Olympic gold.

Hell no. I feel like only old people and little kids watch the Olympics. Some of the worlds best athlete in super boring competitions.

Nigeria would dominate and Khabib would come back to win gold for the beautiful independent nation of Dhagistan... I mean Russia

I don’t think it would work. It would either have to be completely watered down or everybody would get injured. Submission grappling on the other hand would be awesome and would totally work.

Olympics are too mainstream, nobody would be allowed to be a warrior. Would probably have to outlaw elbows to reduce damage if fighters had to compete multiple times in a couple weeks.

201102251004260e4_crop_exact.jpg

Bring it in.

tumblr_mj4egvVay41ry1rm7o1_250.gif

No, not with the current state of things. I'm glad they're essentially putting zero effort into getting it in.

I don't think it would work. Too hard to grapple with gear on. Without gear would be hard to have multiple fights.

Bad idea. If people get badly hurt, it might effect MMA outside of the olympics. We have enough rules, we dont need more.

yes, but only for amateurs and with special rules, headgear, no elbows, no knees, no ground and pound.

Can't be done. You really want to see MMA with headgear? Perhaps no knees or elbows? Not hitting a downed opponent? Of course, I don't know how it would look, but I don't thing these things are farfetched. Headgear I think goes without saying. I could picture it as being little more than point fighting standing and grappling on the ground with no or very limited striking.

Also, it would have to be a ring because "cage" sounds too stupid for a serious event.

While the Olympics no longer is amateur only, it still presents itself as being about fair play and sportmanship. Obviously, fair play and sportmanship are not necessarily on the minds of the participants, but it is the "Olympic spirit."

Don't think MMA would ever make the Olympics, but I would like to see BJJ. I was hoping they would have introduced it for Rio 2016 but sadly not.

IBJJF rules would work fine. I suppose the issue is its proximity to Judo but I'd like to think they're different enough.

Another reason why it would be dumb is because it would likely follow the boxing rules which states no professional boxers can compete. You wouldn't be watching McGregor or Adesanya go for gold. You'd be watching some nobody from a small town who only has a reputation on the amateur regional circuit. (Unless they changed that rule like a couple posts up mentions).

Back