Would you let your parent(s) stay with you indefinitely?

As Americans, we would gladly open our doors to our parents. My parents, also being American, would probably rather die than have to depend on their children for support. Self-reliant FTW.

Is it in return for all the shit they charged you as a child when you were getting taken care of?
doesnt count when you are underage. a lot of parents charge once their kids are over 18. same applies to them.

I would. I lost my dad when i was 19, but if my mom ever get to the point of not being able to live on her own, I would take her in.

Yes, my mother lived with us the last 4 years of her life..

doesnt count when you are underage. a lot of parents charge once their kids are over 18. same applies to them.

Doesn’t count when you are underage...

Lol

Everything you are is thanks to the people who raised you. Your parents must have been shit parents if you feel the need make them pay rent to take care of them in the twilight of their life.

Doesn’t count when you are underage...

Lol

Everything you are is thanks to the people who raised you. Your parents must have been shit parents if you feel the need make them pay rent to take care of them in the twilight of their life.
well my dad was/is. He can rot in hell. But for anyone it still should be the same. They are getting a retirement/pension or whatever, so they certainly can help pay the rent. they teach kids many times the same thing once they get a job and start paying rent. so it IS a valuable lesson learned. if they are telling you that you need to learn responsibility and pay rent to them once you are an adult, why in the world would the same rules not apply to them when the shoe is on the other foot.

look, i am not saying you dont give them some sort of a discount on rent or anything, its just they need to pull their weight. yes, they took care of me when i was a child, but they CHOSE to put me in that situation in the first place. i didnt ask to be born

Both parents dead, so it's a non issue for me.

Yes didn’t even have to think about it. In 29 mom died when I was 20 pops can live with me forever idc

well my dad was/is. He can rot in hell. But for anyone it still should be the same. They are getting a retirement/pension or whatever, so they certainly can help pay the rent. they teach kids many times the same thing once they get a job and start paying rent. so it IS a valuable lesson learned. if they are telling you that you need to learn responsibility and pay rent to them once you are an adult, why in the world would the same rules not apply to them when the shoe is on the other foot.

look, i am not saying you dont give them some sort of a discount on rent or anything, its just they need to pull their weight. yes, they took care of me when i was a child, but they CHOSE to put me in that situation in the first place. i didnt ask to be born

Sad ^

My mom has passed away, but I always find myself daydreaming about her still being alive and moving in with me. She can just stay at the house and watch her TV dramas while preparing food. I always think about her watching me play Super Mario with my cousins back in the day. She'd cook delicious meals for us and that made her happy. She didn't have any friends and her life revolved around us. What I wouldn't give just to talk to her on the phone.

My mom is the same except her health isn't declining. Thank God for that. If she had to live with me indefinitely, it wouldn't even be a question. No problem. Anyone who has a problem with that can fuck off.

I'd live with her or vice versa now, but I can't take care of her the way they can at the retirement home

Geez, nice 3+ year bump there buddy.

My father was sick so I moved my parents into my place. Currently, I own a duplex (the whole thing) and I was in the process of renovating it. I took the old end and they got the new finished one which was all one level.. far easier for them.

My father passed and now it’s just my mom. She’s more then welcome to stay with me forever. I love my parents to death and I think if you have a good relationship with them, it’s a no brainer.

Then again, maybe it’s a little different because we’re still technically separated but I spent a hell of a lot of time with them lately. I will continue to spend time with my mom.

Probably not. They can go live with another sibling.

Would hope there’s enough room for everybody, but absolutely.

Do it - I am making every appeal under the sun to get my parents to live with me (or one of my siblings).

They say they want their independence, but as they progress in age, I am becoming increasingly worried about their well being. My mom has already had health issues in the past and now they are moving my elderly (82 year old) aunt to come live with them.

Bah... parents can be so stubborn sometimes.

Funny to see this thread bumped after so many years.

At the age of 34, I am now back home taking care of my mom and my aunt after my father passed away. Is it a massive inconvenience and strain on time? Yes. But I would never have it any other way.

While I wish my mom would live with my sister in a house that is actually accessible and elderly friendly (bungalow vs three story house), I am reminded of this childhood story by Robert Munsch whenever I begin to feel the strain of the circumstances:
A mother held her new baby and very slowly rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she held him, she sang:

I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

The baby grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was two years old, and he ran all around the house. He pulled all the books off the shelves. He pulled all the food out of the refrigerator and he took his mother's watch and flushed it down the toilet. Sometimes his mother would say, "this kid is driving me CRAZY!"

But at night time, when that two-year-old was quiet, she opened the door to his room, crawled across the floor, looked up over the side of his bed; and if he was really asleep she picked him up and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. While she rocked him she sang:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

The little boy grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was nine years old. And he never wanted to come in for dinner, he never wanted to take a bath, and when grandma visited he always said bad words. Sometimes his mother wanted to sell him to the zoo!

But at night time, when he was asleep, the mother quietly opened the door to his room, crawled across the floor and looked up over the side of the bed. If he was really asleep, she picked up that nine-year-old boy and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she rocked him she sang:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

The boy grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was a teenager. He had strange friends and he wore strange clothes and he listened to strange music. Sometimes the mother felt like she was in a zoo!

But at night time, when that teenager was asleep, the mother opened the door to his room, crawled across the floor and looked up over the side of the bed. If he was really asleep she picked up that great big boy and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. While she rocked him she sang:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

That teenager grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was a grown-up man. He left home and got a house across town. But sometimes on dark nights the mother got into her car and drove across town. If all the lights in her son's house were out, she opened his bedroom window, crawled across the floor, and looked up over the side of his bed. If that great big man was really asleep she picked him up and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she rocked him she sang:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

Well, that mother, she got older. She got older and older and older. One day she called up her son and said, "You'd better come see me because I'm very old and sick." So her son came to see her. When he came in the door she tried to sing the song. She sang:

I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always...

But she couldn't finish because she was too old and sick. The son went to his mother. He picked her up and rocked her back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And he sang this song:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my Mommy you'll be.

When the son came home that night, he stood for a long time at the top of the stairs. Then he went into the room where his very new baby daughter was sleeping. He picked her up in his arms and very slowly rocked her back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while he rocked her he sang:

I'll love you forever,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

Back